CHAPTER 22

‘Excuse me,’ Madison shoved pass Rankin and ran out of the room.

‘Come back here!’ Rankin yelled.  Ignoring him, Madison continued running outside.

Beth straightened.  She did not know if she should run after Madison or keep Rankin away from her mistress.  She stood rooted to the spot and just stared at Rankin.

‘What the bloody hell are you looking at? He growled.  ‘Don’t just stand there.  Go and bring your mistress back to me at once!’

‘Perhaps she does not want to be with you,’ Beth dared to raise her chin at Earl Swain. 

‘How dare you address me?’ Rankin thundered.  ‘Get out of the way,’ he brushed past her.

‘Madison dear,’ Rankin controlled his voice with difficulty when he saw her sitting huddled on the bench in the garden.  ‘I see I have startled you,’ he sat down next to her and took her hand in his.  ‘Talk to me dear,’ his voice was saccharine sweetness itself.

‘My lord---I think perhaps we should not marry.’

‘What nonsense!  I want you as my wife,’ he asserted.

‘I do not think I should be your wife,’ she tried to remove her hand.

‘What brings this on dear?  Has somebody been telling you lies?’

No,’ she jerked her hand out and stood up.  ‘I fear I am the wrong lady for you my lord.’

I agree, but your money makes up for what you lack.

‘My lady, tell me what troubles you?’  Rankin gripped her shoulders, none too gently.

‘I---I am not worthy of you my lord.’

‘What!’ Rankin laughed.  ‘How could you not be?’

‘I am not a maiden,’ Madison spoke softly.

Rankin went white as a sheet.  His eyes widened unbelievably.   She had spoken so softly.  He had almost not heard her, but her deathly pale skin and the fear in her eyes told him he had heard her correctly.

‘Who is he?’  He shook her shoulders angrily.  ‘I will call him out.’

‘No---.’  She did not for a moment think Chadwick could not defend himself.  She just did not want to reveal his identity.  ‘Please--- if you wish to call of the betrothal, I shall understand.’

And lose my dowry, not a chance.

I demand to know who he is.’

‘Please ---I cannot reveal that to you.  It is not important.’

‘So you have been behaving like a harlot?’ he spat out.  ‘How many men did you lie with?’

Madison gasped.  Rankin’s comment had been like his fingers had sliced across her face.  She lowered her head so he would not see her hurt, but she would not feel guilty about laying with Chadwick. Why should her virtue be savoured for a husband she did not love?

‘Well I prefer an experienced woman as my wife,’ Rankin sneered.  ‘It would make our nights interesting.’ He gripped her wrists, pulling her close against his body.

‘Let me go,’ Madison urged, looking around, but nobody was in sight.  Not even the ever watchful Beth was near.

‘I do not see the need to wait for our wedding night any longer dear, do you?’ he forced his mouth on hers.

‘My lord let me go,’ Madison cried out, but he just tightened his grip.

‘You freely gave yourself to another,’ he accused.  ‘I am your betrothed.  I have a right to you.  You are mine,’ he pinned her arm painfully behind her back.  His lips worried at the clothes protecting her bosom.  Madison wrestled unsuccessfully, he was too strong.