CHAPTER 26

Madison sat at the window sill and stared at the soft rain falling.  From her upstairs window she could see the ocean.  Like the dull grey sky above, the ocean was a frothy dirty grey.  Angry waves were rushing to the shore.  She could hear the breakers crashing against the rocks, bringing with it sea weed and taking back vast amounts of sand into the ocean.  She could smell toast and coffee and breakfast being prepared.  Last night she had dragged herself downstairs to have supper with Granny Jean.  She ate a little just to please Granny Jean, but she did enjoy the lovey sherry afterwards.  Madison had made sure to help herself to another large glass, hoping to help her sleep and surprisingly, she had managed to get some sleep.

‘Ah my lady you have woken up,’ Beth smiled.  ‘Good morning.’

‘Morning Beth,’ Madison smiled.  ‘I have taken a bath already.’

‘I came to help you with your bath,’ Beth announced.  ‘But never mind, you can take breakfast with your grandmother.’

Beth took the hair brush and brushed down her mistress’s hair.  She wished she could see just a tiny sparkle in Lady Madison’s eyes that seemed to permanently looked haunted these days.  Beth prayed the baroness would not make a surprise visit to Bath.  Lady Madison was looking frail.  Her clothes were hanging on her body.  She did not bother to put on her beautiful gowns.  Every morning, she just pulled on the first garment from the closet.  Beth knew there was only one gentleman who could heal her mistress, for it was truly her heart that needed mending, but how could that gentleman attempt to heal her when they were in Bath and he was miles away in Cricklewoods.  What Beth did not know was the gentleman in question was miles away from Cricklewoods and just as miserable as Madison.

‘I feel like pancakes today Beth,’ Madison interrupted her thoughts.

‘That is a splendid idea,’ Beth was pleased her mistress was desiring to eat something.  ‘I shall have the kitchen prepare it for you.’

‘Why do we not ride into the town this afternoon, my lady?  Perhaps you will find some new ribbons or a spencer.  It is becoming cold.’

Madison was in no mood to ride anywhere or be around anybody.  If she wanted to socialize she would have stayed in Cricklewoods.  She did write a letter to Sarah.  Perhaps Beth could arrange for the weekly delivery coach to have it delivered to Cricklewoods.

‘I do not fancy going out in this weather Beth, although I do have a letter for my cousin Sarah.’

‘I shall see to it my lady.  I am certain Lady Sarah is anxious for another letter from you.’  Madison did send off one letter last week. 
‘How about we go downstairs for some of those pancakes?’ 
Beth knew the kitchen staff would be delighted to make any meal to please the polite and gracious young guest of Jean Famworth whom they thought looked rather beautiful. 

The following morning, Madison was pleasantly surprised to see clear skies, a blazing sun and all trace of the rain completely gone, having washed away the dust and the dryness.  The air looked and smelled fresh.    Madison washed and joined Granny Jean for a cup of tea.

‘It is too lovely a day to be indoors,’ Madison smiled at Granny Jean.  ‘I shall take a walk to the beach.’

‘I knew you would when I saw the sun come out,’ Granny Jean smiled.  ‘Perhaps you will start having some meals again child.  Your father is hardly going to recognize you if you continue starving.’

‘I am not starving.  I do eat,’ Madison hid her eyes from Granny Jean.  ‘I shall be off then,’ Madison escaped.  She feared one of these days the old timer would want an explanation.  She had been patient long enough with her.  In truth Madison was feeling guilty as well.  She felt she owed her grandmother some kind of explanation, but how could she explain her broken and tattered heart away.