Part One - Coming Home

The carriage bounced aimlessly down the dirt road as I slumped in the seat clutching my cloak around my war torn body. I hung my head and closed my eyes attempting to get the first rest I had had in days. Just as I began to fall into a restless sleep the three individuals whom I was riding with began to speak, interestingly enough I was the topic of the conversation.

"Everyone thought he was dead" the older woman conversed with the man to her left "and with his father gone the estate is in shambles"

What? My father? Gone? Surely she doesn't mean he is dead. I looked up slowly startling her.

"My father is dead?" My deep raspy voice rang through the thick silence.

The woman was stunned and scrambling to find words. "Ye-yes" she stammered "some six months ago wasn't it?" She questioned her adjacent who nodded nervously. I nodded and remained silent, processing the information.

After I was dropped off in town I made my way towards Trenwith, a large mansion owned by my uncle. I walked into the dining hall only to be greeted by great silence and shock. "Oh Ross!" My cousin Verity trotted over and hugged me tightly "everyone thought you were dead" she mumbled into my chest. I smiled lightly "I've missed you" is gently held her shoulders. "Ive missed you as well" I looked up at the table, a thick awkwardness formed quickly as I saw the girl I had left behind when I went off to war seated beside my cousin, Francis. I stayed quiet in hopes I'd get to speak with her later.

"Elizabeth, fetch my frock" he mother, who was seated across from her said with a shrewd smile. "Yes mama" she said as she got up and ducked into the hallway. Verity ushered me into an empty seat insisting I would join them for dinner. I welcomed the warm stew great fully as I hadn't eaten since early morning.

"Will you be attending the wedding?" Elizabeth's mother looked over at me and smirked. "Of whom?" I asked between bites. "Why, Francis and Elizabeth!" She said happily as Elizabeth returned to the table. I froze, staring at the table in front of me trying to comprehend. "Oh" I said clearing my throat and looking up towards my cousin who bit his lip slightly "Of course" my voice cracked slightly as I scooped another spoonful of the hot soup into my mouth.

There was a long silence from then on that was broken by my uncle "It's good to have you back Ross" he exclaimed in his abrasively volumed manner. "Thank you uncle" I smiled before pushing away from the table. "I think I'll go back to Nampara before it gets too dark" I said standing and placing my hands on the table. "If I could trouble you for a horse?" I looked towards my uncle who gave a slight nod. I tipped my hat as I began walking away still slightly uneasy over the news that the girl I loved was betrothed to my cousin.

I raced towards the house that was falling apart at the seams. My inheritance, along with the land, and a mine. I opened the creaking wooden door slowly and found everything just as my father had left it, covered in dust and cobwebs. I sighed and explored the home I hadn't seen in three years. I ran my fingers over the notches on the door used to mark my height as a boy. I smiled lightly before grabbing an old broom and beginning to sweep out the debris that had collected. After a light dusting and some elbow grease the house was at least presentable. I wiped my brow as sweat trickled down my face. Seeing as it was late in the evening, I went to bed.