The Girl

The next morning decided to go into town and gather some supplies and food. Putting on my coat and walking out the door I mounted my steed and cantered down the dirt road towards town. Below, the waves quietly crashed against the sand and rocks. I admired the empty, rolling hills I called home. As I approached town I could sense all eyes were on me, apparently the entire town thought I was dead. I with confidence down the merchant lined street and began gathering my needs.

Just as I was about to begin my descent back to Nampara commotion broke out, a young girl cried and thrashed against the men restraining her as another carried a mangy dog to the center of the gathered crowd. I approached quickly as I saw the girl break away from the men and race towards the mutt.

"Please let him go!" She cried as a drunken man started to beat her while slurring curses at her.

"Stop!" I yelled as I pushed through the crowd and grabbed the man's arm. With little effort I pushed him to the ground. Seeing him make no attempt at striking back I turned to the girl who sat next to the dog, holding her face.

"Are you alright?" I asked trying to sound comforting. Most saw me as a bar-brawling fool who couldn't be trusted, most were right. That was before the war however, war changes a man.

"I'm fine" the girl said sharply as she stumbled to her feet. I held her arm gently as she dusted herself off.

"I think not" I whispered smirking slightly "you're thin and covered in scars, dirt, and bruises" I looked her over with a slight pity. "That's enough! Nothing more to see here" I growled as the crowd drifted away groaning. I smiled down at the girl, staring into her bright blue eyes, her fiery curly red hair was flowing daintily in the slight breeze, her dress was covered in patches. She looked to be about eighteen or nineteen. "What's your name?" I asked looking her over.

"Demelza" she said shakily "yours?"

"Ross, Ross Poldark" I said smiling "Let me get you a decent meal" I offered motioning towards the small pub a little ways down the road.

"Sir, I couldn't ask you to do that" she stumbled over her words as she tried to tidy her dress.

"It would be my pleasure" I said softly as I took a few steps towards the bustling business. She reluctantly followed, I gently placed my hand on her bony figure, she tensed with a slight wince and I took my hand away. It was obvious she had been beaten frequently. As I sat down in front of her she began to eat eagerly.

"You've been beaten and starved" I said looking into her eyes "who could do such a thing?" I asked fiddling with a ring on my little finger.

"I drunkard father who wanted all boys" she said quietly. I nodded understandingly.

"How often does he punish you?" I asked slightly afraid to pry.

A tear rolled down her face as she continued to eat "When he's drunk" she squeaked, her voice cracking.

"How often does he drink?"

"All day, everyday" she gave a small smile as she nibbled on a piece of bread.

I sat back in my chair slightly thinking of a way to help her.

"What if I offered you employment as a kitchen maid? I could provide food, protection, and shelter" I said quietly leaning forward.

"I-I dunno sir" she said slightly taken aback "my father wouldn't like that"

"Aren't you old enough to make your own decisions?" I said encouragingly

"Well, I suppose so..." She drew out her words as she pondered the proposition.

"It's settled then, I will take you to Nampara tonight" I said a little too loudly

Demelza ducked slightly as she continued to eat. I smiled and waited for her to finish. Once she had I led her out the door. The sun was starting to fall. The girl followed me, she had apparently warmed up to the idea of working for me.  I nodded and mounted the large black stallion I had acquired from my uncle. I slid back in the saddle and helped her in front of me.

I held her firmly as we rode through the rolling hills of Cornwall. As we walked she chattered about her abilities, although I knew she was more than capable of doing the work, I let her continue.

Her slim frame was somehow extremely strong, she could clear an entire field in a day, together we could do three. Somehow she still managed to make bread and pastries daily, she truly amazed me sometimes.