Story III

Title: Decisions

Day: 3

Date: April 19, 2016

By: Princess_Moon_Angel

She uses her fingernail to make a long scratch on her wrist. The girl in her gray hoodie, oblivious to the class going on around her, watches with avid interest as the area around the white turns pink in slight irritation. She runs her cold fingertips gently over the raised skin, wanting to feel it more.

The bell rings and she is snapped out of her trance. To the cafeteria for lunch, where she can already see her friends huddled around at their table. She smiles and talks and laughs, just like always, but secretly wondering whether she should tell them about her issues.

She decides against it, thinking they would desert her if they knew. So she eats the food and makes her jokes, still scratching at her wrists.

At the bus stop, she is standing with her best friend, hoodie sleeve pulled away a little so the world can see the thin, irritated scratches that were made by her raking nails against delicate skin. The girl doesn't want to say what is wrong with her aloud, and instead starts to itch at her wrists, blatantly obvious in front of her friend. But the laughing girl does not notice, which only makes the frowning girl let out a tiny sigh and pull up her sleeve once again.

She decides not to outright tell her friend. She'll find out soon enough. But for now, the decision she made was absolute.

When she got to her quiet little house, she chucked her backpack off onto the couch and immediately went to the bathroom.

There, with no one to see, she began to furiously make long white scratches with her nail, seeing the raised pink lines with fascination. From some came small beads of deep red blood, where she had pressed too hard.

Her whole left arm was stinging, but she barely noticed. She opened up the locked door and slowly made her way to the art supply cabinet, where she knew an Exact-O Knife was waiting. As she walked, she began to affirm her choice. However, when she heard the door's lock beginning to jingle, she stopped quickly and turned down the hall toward her room.

Once there, she locked the door and thought whether or not to go and grab the knife anyways. But, she decided against it. For now, the choice of using only her nails would do.

Because that was the decision she made.