Story IX

Title: Dying Breath

Day: 9

Date: April 25, 2016

By: Princess_Moon_Angel

Her hands shook as her mind processed the words that the doctor had gravely delivered to her. No, it couldn't be. She can't. She can't have 2 weeks to live! That's not enough time! That's not enough time...

The brunette was still trembling even after the doctor had dismissed her, telling her he was praying for her health. As if that would be of help against this disease eating her life away.

What do you do when you've got 14 days until you die? How do you tell someone you have 14 days left? Do you even want people to know? Of course not. So, she wouldn't say a thing. Her parents would know by now, surely, but her boyfriend and best friends and teachers shall remain oblivious. She would let Alexander keep on kissing her; she would let Gianna and everyone else gossip around her; she would let Ms. Keystone yell at her for being late. She'd let all that happen. And she'd be damned if she died before living.

The first week was easy. The sickness invading her body politely declined on ravaging her health while at school. A few close instances, sure, and she thinks Gianna is getting closer to figuring out the secret between her daily visits to the nurses office, but they remained oblivious so far.

Into the second week, however, her lungs began constricting much to fast for her to get any oxygen. On a Wednesday morning, in the middle of her final week, her breaths became labored as she raised her hand frantically, forcing out words between choked gasps. Nurses... office..

On the way there, her legs began to wobble, finally giving out just two hallways away from her destination. Fortunately or unfortunately, Gianna, Ayleen, Jenny, and Alice, were stopping for water while at P.E. Their movements slowed and shock registered in their eyes at seeing her on her knees, crawling, before they finally rushed over.

Hurried and frantic shouts puffed out of their lips, but all she could heave out were the two accursed words. Nurses... office!

With no more words spoken, all 4 lifted her up and practically ran down the halls as the girl in their arms became lightheaded from lack of oxygen. Why are there spots dancing in my visio-

Black was all she saw then.

The next thing the dying girl was aware of was the antiseptic smell that could only be brought by a hospital. Her guess was confirmed when the beeping of a heart monitor echoed much too loudly in her ears. She could feel many other presences in the room, and forced her eyes open, squinting as they were assaulted by the bright white light. Nope. She was not getting blinded too.

When they finally adjusted, the girl in her hospital gown first saw her parents, huddled in the corner of the room. Her mother was dabbing at puffy, bloodshot eyes, with her father rubbing soothing circles on his wife's back, tears streaming down his own face. The next people she saw were her 4 best friends in the entire world, all staring blankly at whatever, but each holding tightly onto her hands, sat in uncomfortable hospital chairs.

Clearing her parched throat as best she could, she rasped out a greeting. She tried to lift her arms, but all of her limbs felt like they were made of lead. But that was all it took. With almost muffled squeals, her girl friends launched themselves into her arms, all crying and wailing, her parents crying fresh tears of joy.

At that moment, the door to her hospital room flew open and a heavily flushed Alexander stood in the doorway. Wasting no time, he none-too-politely shoved Alice and Ayleen away, claiming her lips in his as he stole her breath once again. Kiss after kiss was rained on her face as he explained between kisses that Gianna had called him frantically during track practice, yelling that she wasn't breathing.

After the warm assault of hugs and kisses, she spilled everything to Alexander, Gianna, Jenny, Ayleen, and Alice. About the sickness, about why she was at the nurses, about her last week. Which was now cut down to two days because she had been unconscious through Thursday and into Friday, right now.

The horribly sick girl kept a bright smile on her face even if the slight movement hurt the muscles of her face and the tears streaming down everyone's faces didn't stop. Still smiling, she asked for a backpack, which her mother promptly gave her. From the galaxy-patterned bag, she withdrew 8 letters, handwritten the day she found out. Handing them to their respective owners: Alexander, the girls, her mother and father, and the last for Ms. Keystone, she asked to not open them until she was dead, the last word being hesitantly forced from her lips.

Feeling terribly tired, she slipped into a deep slumber, wishing everyone a goodnight.

It was in the middle of the night where she began drowning in her dreams, gasping for the sweet air she needed, but getting only choking water in return. In the real world, every person sprang to their feet, pushing the button for a doctor, before most ran out yelling into the otherwise silent halls.

The dying girl's eyes flew open, as she became half-aware of all the white coats flowing into her room. Wait! I can't die yet! I still have one day! Wait...

She could feel her heart slowing down as her body flipped and flopped erratically, as her mind was strangely calm. With a final flickering glance at the 7 sobbing people in the corner of the room, she whispered with a half-smile in her dying breath,

"I love you..."

Beeeeeeeeeep.