Chapter 4: History Lesson

Mothra's eyes fluttered open as she yawned. She sighed contently, realizing she had slept almost the whole 10 hours in the helicopter. Godzilla was still next to her, his arm wrapped lovingly around her shoulder. He noticed she woke up.
"Hey, you're finally awake." He said.
"Yeah..." She murmured, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "Are we there yet?"
"We're about to start landing." Godzilla replied. Outside the helicopter, they had just approached Avengers Tower. A helicopter landing pad was on the tower's balcony, with a walkway leading off to the inside of the tower. Nick Fury was standing there waiting for them, along with two other figures. Godzilla couldn't see who they were, but he was able to see that one was a male and the other was a female. The helicopter landed, and the four stepped off of the aircraft. Fury approached them.
"Glad you could make it." He said. "How was your ride?"
"It was okay. A little boring, but okay." Godzilla replied.
"I slept the whole way." Mothra added.
Fury chuckled at this. "Glad you enjoyed it." He turned to the other two on the balcony. "I'm sure you're familiar with my associates, Clint and Natasha."
Godzilla looked at the two standing behind Fury. One was a blonde man with a purple sleeveless outfit and sunglasses, and the other was a red haired woman wearing a tight black jumpsuit, along with yellow cuffs and a belt. These were two of the Avengers. Their names, as Fury had said, were Clint Barton and Natasha Romanoff, but their aliases were Hawkeye and Black Widow.
"Pleased to meet you." Widow said, nodding once.
"...Are they alright?" Hawkeye asked, pointing at Anguirus and Rodan. The two were standing closer to the helicopter, silently freaking out and fanboying over the two Avengers. Godzilla facepalmed, but smirked slightly.
"They're fine, just ignore them." He said. "And it's nice to meet you too."
"Are the other Avengers around?" Mothra asked. She noticed that Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Thor were nowhere to be seen.
"They're busy, but they should be back soon." Hawkeye replied.
"Until then, maybe you can tell us about this new threat." Widow added.
Godzilla nodded. "Lead the way." He said. Fury and the Avengers lead Godzilla and the others into the tower. It was quite impressive on the inside. The top floor, where they were standing now, was a large penthouse. A long round window stretched around the huge round room. A massive flatscreen television was mounted on the wall, and a huge round couch and coffee table were in the middle of the room, facing the TV. There was even a bar in the back. Godzilla looked around, impressed at the sight.
"Wow. You guys live here?" He asked.
"For the most part, yeah." Hawkeye answered, walking over to the coffee table. As he approached it, the table raised upwards and opened up exposing a holographic keyboard. He typed a few words and commands into the keyboard, and a holographic image of one of the microscopic bug-creatures appeared in front of the table. It was being projected by a projector on the TV.
"So, what can you tell us about this?" Hawkeye asked.
"A lot." Godzilla admitted. "That thing is a single-cell organism called a Shinomura. They're microscopic, so we wouldn't be able to see it on its own, but once a large group of them come together in a swarm, we'd be able to see them. They can't survive on their own, so need to come together in colonies. Because of this, they multiply themselves any chance they get."
"Okay, so they're constantly growing and multiplying." Widow said, nodding. "If they exist in a colony, they must have a queen, right? If we destroy the queen, we destroy the colony."
"Not necessarily." Godzilla explained. He pressed some keys on the keyboard, cycling through pictures of Shinomura swarms. "They don't have a queen, but once enough form a colony, they transform into this." Finally, he stopped on a picture of a Shinomura colony in its humanoid form. It looked exactly like the one Spiderman had fought, unknown to them.
"This image is from World War 2." Godzilla continued. "After the extinction of the dinosaurs, all Shinomura were either killed or put into a dormant state. One was awakened by the bombing of Hiroshima, and immediately began consuming matter."
"That's how they multiply, I'm guessing." Fury added.
"Pretty much, yeah." Godzilla answered. "Luckily, my father was able to destroy the colony before it multiplied too much. This was all before I was born, but I've heard stories about it. I thought all the Shinomura were destroyed, but apparently at least one survived, and something woke it up again."
"Okay, so how do we destroy it?" Hawkeye asked. The others, even Godzilla's own allies, were wondering the same thing. None of them had ever heard of Shinomura before.
"We can't destroy it, we can only contain it." Godzilla admitted. "The cells will die out eventually if they don't consume matter. Once we stop it from multiplying, it'll destroy itself."
"But if it consumes matter, how are we gonna contain it? It's gonna just consume whatever we contain it in." Hawkeye asked.
"That depends on how powerful it's become." Godzilla explained. "I'll have to see it for myself before I figure out how to contain it."
Suddenly, they heard a loud thump. Something had just hit the window. Everyone looked over at the source of the thump, and saw a red and blue masked figure pressed against the long window of the tower.
"Who the hell is that?" Rodan asked, raising an eyebrow. Hawkeye sighed, slightly annoyed at the figure.
"That's our newest intern." He said. Black Widow rolled her eyes and stepped in front of him.
"He's our current trainee." She explained. "We've been training him to become an Avenger, but he's not very competent yet."
"He calls himself Spiderman." Hawkeye continued. "He can crawl on walls and shoot webs."
Spiderman looked through the window and saw them all staring at him. He gave an embarrassed chuckle and waved.
"Hey, guys." He said, muffled by the glass. Using his wall-crawling powers, he crawled across the window over to the balcony and stood up. The door opened, and he stepped into the room.
"What took you so long?" Hawkeye asked. "You were supposed to be back from patrol a few hours ago."
"I ran into something...or, maybe someone." He explained. "He had some pretty crazy powers. I think he might be a problem."
"What'd he look like?" Widow asked.
"He looked like...that." Spiderman replied, pointing at the image of Shinomura. They all turned to the image, and realized what was happening.
"In that case, Shinomura's in the city right now." Godzilla confirmed. Spiderman turned to them, raising an eyebrow behind his silver goggles.
"Um... who're these guys?" He asked. Godzilla and the others looked over at him.
"My name is Godzilla. The others and I are here to stop this guy from destroying the world." He explained.
"Wait, you're Godzilla?" Spiderman said. He seemed excited. "Holy hell, I've heard of you guys! You've saved the world from aliens and crazy monsters so many times!"
Godzilla smirked. "We have fans?" He asked.
"Yeah, people talk about you all the time!" Spiderman continued.
"That's... cool." Anguirus said, hesitating slightly. It was pretty weird to think that people payed close attention to what they did. The others silently agreed. They didn't have time to think about this any more, as a building crumbled a few miles away from the tower. They all approached the window to watch.
"That doesn't look good." Rodan said, removing the swords from his back. "Think we should go check it out?"
"It might be Shinomura." Spiderman added.
"He's consuming matter." Godzilla explained. "This isn't good. He's gonna start multiplying soon." He turned to Mothra and Rodan. "You two fly over there and check it out. We'll meet you there."
Mothra and Rodan nodded. They ran to the balcony and took off flying to the collapsing building. Spiderman followed, shooting webs and swinging in the same direction. Meanwhile, Godzilla turned back to Fury, Hawkeye, and Widow.
"So, any chance we could ride in the Quinjet?" He asked.