Chapter 8: Breaking Point

A few miles away from the tower, in fact a few miles out of New York itself, Shinomura sat in a cavern, surrounded by his creatures. He smirked to himself. A few of his cells were currently in the tower, surveying Godzilla. He had been watching him for many hours. Godzilla had no idea what was going on, but Shinomura did. Godzilla had been stung with a toxin that took his aggressive nature and enhanced it. This was all a part of his plan. He had no need to attack the Avengers now. He needed only for them to come to him.
"It's only a matter of time," He said, "until Godzilla and the Avengers are gone."

Avengers Tower

Godzilla dropped the 100 lbs weight, nearly tossing it across the room. Ever since he realized his aggression problem, he had been isolated, working out in the Avengers' gym to try and cool off. It wasn't working. He had been lifting 100 lbs on a bench press for about an hour now.
"I just need to keep pushing myself." He muttered to himself. "I'll get over this eventually."
He placed another weight on the bench press, adding it all up to 200 lbs. He had never lifted this much before. He lay down on the bench and began to lift the weight. He found it difficult, but not as difficult as he had predicted. It put some strain on his arms, though, and this was his plan. He put all his aggression into lifting the weight. After a while, he heard footsteps approaching him. He looked to the side, seeing Anguirus and Rodan approaching.
"Damn, I didn't know you could lift that much, Godzilla." Anguirus commented. "Not bad."
"Thanks." Godzilla replied, focussing on his workout. "What do you two want?"
"Steve told us about the gym, and we had to check it out." Rodan explained.
"I was gonna use the bench press, but I'll let you finish up first." Anguirus added.
Godzilla half-nodded at the two. He hoped they would leave him alone now, but they didn't leave. They stood next to him and kept talking. He couldn't blame them, though. They didn't know why he was working out in the first place.
"By the way, Godzilla," Rodan continued, "Anguirus, Mothra, and I were discussing Shinomura with the Avengers."
"What about him?" Godzilla asked. Shinomura's name only added to his rage, but he kept it hidden. At least, he tried to.
"Well, we were discussing what the best course of action would be to attack him." Anguirus added. "In the end, we decided to wait for him to show up again instead of attacking him directly."
Godzilla almost dropped the weight. He stopped himself before he did and placed it back on the metal hooks above his head. He sat up on the bench and looked at the two.
"Excuse me?" He asked, beginning to let out his aggression. "We can't just wait for him to show up again."
"What do you mean?" Anguirus asked. "We don't even know where he is."
"Mothra can figure it out." Godzilla said.
"He's most likely waiting for us to attack him right now." Rodan added. "He'd see us coming and destroy us."
"So waiting for him to attack is a better strategy!?" Godzilla almost yelled.
"...Yeah, and I just explained why." Rodan said, furrowing his brow at Godzilla's tone. "We'll expect him to attack beforehand and see him coming."
Godzilla groaned and angrily stormed out of the room, pushing past Anguirus and Rodan as he did.
"Hey, what's your problem?" Anguirus said. But Godzilla was gone before he finished speaking. Rodan raised an eyebrow.
"Did you see his eyes?" He asked.
"No, why?" Anguirus asked.
"For a while, they were green," Rodan explained, "but then it looked like they were... red."
Everyone on Monster Island knew about Godzilla's eyes. They didn't know the exact details, but it was common knowledge that when they were red, it was bad. Concerned about what Godzilla was about to do, Anguirus and Rodan ran after him.

By the time they found Godzilla, he was back in the Avengers' penthouse. The others were there too. Godzilla was standing in front of them all, arguing about Shinomura.
"We can't just wait for Shinomura to attack again." He said. "The city could be destroyed! People could be hurt or killed! It's way too risky!"
"The last two attacks were to lure us." Steve explained. "If he attacks again, it'll most likely be for the same reason. The only ones in danger will be us."
"You don't know that!" Godzilla growled.
"Godzilla, calm down!" Anguirus shouted at him. Godzilla turned to face him, but ignored him and turned back to the Avengers. To his surprise, Mothra was in front of him now.
"Godzilla... your eyes are red." She said. This fact actually surprised Godzilla. He knew his eyes had turned green, but now they were red. In the back of his mind, he knew this was bad. But his main thoughts told him to ignore it. He turned away from Mothra. His mind was made up now. He knew what he had to do.
"That's it." He growled. "I'm going to find Shinomura myself."
"Whoa, wait a minute." Tony interrupted, stepping in front of Steve. "We shouldn't try anything rash. It's better to wait until he shows up before attacking."
"Tony's right." Mothra agreed. "We don't even know where he is." Godzilla turned to her, his rage building even more. Her statement especially angered him. He knew she could find out where Shinomura was, but she claimed not to know. In his mind, she was feigning ignorance.
"Oh, so now you're against me too?" Godzilla snapped.
"No! Godzilla, nobody here is against you!" Mothra tried to reason in an exasperated voice. Godzilla wasn't having it. He scoffed and turned back around, heading straight for the door.
"Godzilla wait!" Mothra called. Before she could do anything, Rodan jumped out and stood in front of him.
"Calm down, Godzilla." He commanded. He placed a hand on one of his swords, showing that he meant business.
"You're in my way." Godzilla said. He violently shoved Rodan out of his path and continued. Anguirus was up next. He ran in front of him and brandished his hammer.
"Seriously, dude. You don't want to do this." Anguirus said. Godzilla only groaned angrily and rolled his eyes, then walked around him. Nobody else dared to cross him, for fear of what he would do next. He had almost reached the door before Mothra flew in and stood in front of him, arms outstretched, and a sad, pleading expression on her face.
"Godzilla, please. You're obviously not yourself right now." She said. "Just sit down and we can figure this out. Together." But there was nothing she could do. Godzilla's rage was at his peak.
"Get the hell out of my way!" He shouted. Mothra's eyes widened in fear as she flinched backwards and gasped. Godzilla had never shouted at her like that before. Suddenly, she felt a strong stinging pain strike her on the side of her face, sending her to the hard ground. Upon hearing the gasps from others in the room, she quickly realized what had happened. Godzilla had hit her.