03| The First Text

Layla's POV

I'm outside about to walk to school when I heard Aria. "Layla, you should ride with us to school." I walked over to the car. "Uh sure." I said opening the door and sat next to Mike. "Good morning." He said with a small smile. "You too." I replied back.

We arrived at the school and Mike and I got out. He mumbled a "Later. See ya." I hear Byron start to talk to Aria so I go ahead and walk with Mike. "So how have you been?" He asked me. "Good I guess." I said rubbing the back of my neck. "So-" I cut him off. "Hey, I uh, gotta get to class. see ya later." I waved at him and ran off to the classroom.

As I walked in I heard Emily say "I hear the new teachers really hot." I let out a laugh. Emily came over and hugged me. "I miss you we never talk anymore." I said hugging back "Me too." She said breaking the hug as Hanna walked into the room. "Is that Hanna?" Aria asked with a shocked expression. "She's the "it" girl now." Emily responded when Mona walked in. I rolled my eyes. "And where there's Hanna, there's Mona." I said while groaning.

I zoned out for awhile until I heard the teacher say "Holy crap." While he looked straight at aria. A few seconds later her phone rang. I turned my attention back to the front of the classroom I heard her whisper. "Allison" Allison? what about Allison?

I was walking home when I saw Mike. "Hey Mike." He looked over at me and waved. "What's up?" He asked. "Just walking home." Before he could reply I got a text. I took my phone out from my back pocket. "Still haven't moved on from your little third grade crush? -A" I looked up from my phone and looked around to see if I could see anyone around. Is this what Aria meant when she said "Allison" did she get a text like this too? Mike touched my shoulder. "Hey are you okay?" He asked with a worried expression. "Um , yeah. I'm fine." I lied. "I uh gotta go." And started to walk off. "Wait" I heard him call after me but I kept walking.

I decided to go get some food and on the way I saw lights flashing at Ali's old house. I saw Spencer and started to walk towards her. "Hey, Spence. What's going on?" Before she could reply Aria walked up. "I heard the cops took Hanna to the police station today." She said as I looked over at Spencer. "you don't think she'd ever talk about..." Hanna walked up behind us cutting Spencer off. "The Jenna thing? We made a promise."

The next day we all had to attended Allison's funeral. I was sitting down when Aria walked up and looked at the coffin. Hanna grabbed her hand and she sat down next to me. "Poor Ali." Emily said. "Can you believe what a scene this is?" Hanna said from beside me. "Popular in life and death." Spencer and I said at the same time. Arias phone rang and everyone looked over at her with a terrified look. "Anyone we know?" Hanna asked. "No, it's just my mom sending me a text." I sighed in relief. "Emily and I aren't the only ones who got messages from "A" are we?" I shook my head. "No." I said quietly.

I saw Jenna walking in when Mrs. Dilaurentis walked over. "Did you see that Jenna Marshall was here? I didn't realize she and Ali were friends." I looked up at her. "They weren't" I replied.

After the funeral some guy walked up to us. "Emily, Spencer, Aria, Hanna and Layla." I looked up at him. "Hmm." I hummed. "Do we know you?" Spencer asked. "I'm detective Wilden. I understand you were all good friends with the victim." I looked over at Aria as she responded. "Yeah, we were." I looked back over at the detective. "I'm gonna need to talk to each one of you." I looked at him weird "Why?" I asked in a sassy tone. "We talked to the police when Allison went missing." Spencer replied. "And I intend to go over every one of your statements. This is no longer a missing persons investigation. It's a murder." Does this guy really think that one of us murdered Ali? I'm trying so hard not to smack him right now. "Rest assured, I will find out what happened that summer."

After he walked I looked over at the girls. "Am I the only one that wanted to smack the crap out of him?" Spencer gave me the "are you serious" look. "Do you think he knows about?" Aria asked. "No. How could he?" Hanna replied.

All our phones rang. "What the hell." I said as I looked at my phone and then at Aria. "Oh my god." she said "It's from--" Emily cut Hanna off. "I got one too." I looked over at Spencer. "I'm still here, bitches" She read out loud. "And I know everything. A." We all read together.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

Mikes gonna find out they Layla likes him soon. But will Layla tell him or A?