SIXTEEN

Friday comes like a leaf falling from a tree. Slowly but surely. Everyone watches it fall too, because when it hits the ground, there's a party at Landen's house.

I already asked Landen if Mirren and Tyler could come and he was fine with it. Apparently Tyler and him have become good friends.

I want to ride there with Tyler and Mirren, but then Damien and Stephen would see me with him and they'd be mad. Tonight I'm going to do it. I'm going to end my relationship Damien and tell Stephen to back off.

Now that Tyler is here, it seems possible. Before he came, I was stuck in a dream that was slowly cracking. And he pulls me down as if to tell me to let it crumble. Let the lies crumble and fall until all that's left is the base of it all, the truth.

The party is pretty chill. Dim lights, food and drinks, some music, the usual. It wouldn't even be labeled as a high school party if it weren't for the few crazy ones who talk about whatever comes to mind.

"Have you heard from that Audrey girl?" A voice sounds from behind me.

It's a guy talking to another guy. "No I haven't the other guy says and adjust his glasses.

Stephen's blonde head peeks above the crowd like a yield sign on a busy road. I make my way towards him. Here I go, I think, this is it.

"Stephen. I need to talk to you," I say in a tone that I hope let's him know how important this is.

"Okay," he says and we back away into the corner. "What is it?"

"Stephen I really think we should stop."

"No Elyssa please don't do this."

"If you don't want to end this then break up with Lena."

"Will you break up with Damien?" He asks and it catches me off guard. Of course I can, but will I? Will I ever get the courage to see his sweet, familiar face droop with disappointment   just for my freedom to be real?

"No," I say,"so I guess we're done here anyway."

"No Elyssa please," he begs as a crease between his eyebrows deepens. "We can make it work."

"Make what work? There's nothing to work with here! There's no where to go in this relationship! We'll always be hiding and running from the ones we love most, and I'm afraid I can't do that," I walk back to the party without a glance back to him. I hope it's not a walk like the one Tyler did at the airport when he left with Mirren. I hope it doesn't hurt that bad. Because as much as I hate the situation he's put me in, I'll always want him to be okay.

I see Damien. What was I thinking? I can't end us tonight, not after my conversation with Stephen. He catches my eye and smiles that comforting smile that he's given me in all of my worst moments when I need him.

But then the smile starts to melt away like I've imagined so many times. It's a fear of mine, but not one that I'm scared of. More like something I just hate happening. He approaches me slowly as if to give himself time to prepare.

"What's wrong?"

"Well, Elyssa, I'd rather not discuss it here. But there's something we need to talk about," his eyes scream concern and his words follow their lead.

"Alright," I place a hand on his shoulder,"I'm here for you."

"I know you are, you've always been."

"And so have you."

"Meet at the spaceship after the party is over," he says.