TWENTY FOUR

Thanksgiving break comes and goes all too quickly. It was one of those breaks that was very much anticipated but even more disappointing. The week felt like a day passing between my desperate hands. I need to breathe. I've needed to breathe more than ever lately.

Especially with the notes I've been getting. It's different from the texts. It's even worse than the writing on my car.

You're probably wondering what the notes say. Well, this is my story. My ever so crazy adventure of a story through the teenage nightmare. And, I'd like to keep it clean. So I'll just give you a glimpse of the nicer ones.

"Liar, liar, case on fire."

"It's a shame your heart isn't as big as your makeup bag."

"You're story is as crappy as your GPA."

"You used to have us fooled. But now we know you're no different from the other girls. In fact, your the epitome of a dumb, stuck up blonde."

The last note didn't bother to keep their identity anonymous.

-Cindy Heathers

A good friend of Renee and Cristin's. We've never really been close so it's not a huge surprise she signed her artwork. Also, knowing her she probably used the word "epitome" without knowing what it meant and it just happened to make sense.

It's actually pretty sad. Not for me, I already knew all of that stuff (well except the thing about my GPA which is perfect). The sad thing is that they think I care. And even if I do, they think they're going to finally get a reaction out of me. The crack in the diamond. The landslide in the mountain.

Well they're going to have to wait another thousand years. Don't they know I leave my emotions in the silence? No, of course they don't. I have built myself a mountain stone by stone so that it will never fall. Keep collecting all the pebbles that fall and gather at the bottom. Keep trying to build you're own mountain out of them. But please believe me when I say, it will never reach the clouds.

•••

The trial begins like any other nightmare, falling asleep. I drag my eyes to the board as the teacher talks. I lift my head up as if I was really awake, as if I was really ready to tackle the day. But my head is still at rest. It refuses to focus. It only dreams, or imagines what possible scenarios lie ahead. The last bell rings and Tyler runs up to me.

"I wanted to give you this," he says and pulls out a silver box. I open it slowly to build anticipation. I can tell he's eager for me to see what's inside.

"Oh my God. It's beautiful!" The pearl necklace is plain but it's one of the prettiest things I've ever laid my eyes on. I lift it up and he grabs it to put on me. I pull my thick hair to the side.

"For courage, and faith," he says proudly. "I was on the beach the day you left. I found a big, brown clam. Out of curiosity I pulled it open and there it was. This beautiful pinkish pearl in the grossest of clams."

•••

Bang. Bang. The mallet against the podium. Not really sure what that means but I guess it means we're starting. Renee sits beside me, my incredible attorney and friend. On the other side of the musty carpeted aisle is Stephen with his attorney, Ostin.

Oh God, Ostin. Not good. Renee has liked him since forever and every time she sees him she gets all fluttery and flirty. One time, back in seventh grade, it was field day and he was selling popsicles. Renee and I went to order one, but she couldn't say anything without stuttering.

"I-I want the um flavor that's like-like red, but not all the way red. Kind of uuuuhhh pinkish. Do-do you have that? At some places it's like straw-strawbabe-strawberry. But I-I also like cherry," it had sounded something like that.

Anyway, she can't talk like a confident lawyer with a solid alibi around him.

First, Stephen tells his story. His story full of twisted words and closed off lies. But who am I to accuse, I've lived every one of the words he breathes. His speech is identical to the one he gave Lena in the recording. I construct my story in my mind, unlike his, it's true. I remember the words Renee helped me put together like a ball of yarn, tangled and never-ending. So as Stephen steps down from the slight elevation of a stage, I try to hold on to the words we wrote so many times.

"Three minutes," Emerson, the jury, says.

I clear my throat. I feel the eyes of the judges (other GT students) and the rest of the students watching. Their cold glares freeze my throat so that I'm standing stupidly in front of them without as much as a sound. Suddenly I feel a warmth that thaws the ice inside. His eyes are comforting and dark like coffee on a cold morning. Warming up my bones.

"I hope you may listen to my side of the story with an open mind. I call it a story because, that's exactly what it is," I start hesitantly. "As you know I was dating Damien, someone I have loved since childhood. Someone I would never, ever, let anyone hurt if I could help it. As you also know, it all went down at Audrey's party. But what many of you don't know is that the punch at this party, was dashed with a lot of something that shouldn't have been in there. Sadly, this was discovered after Stephen had given me about six drinks. Although he had not taken a single sip. I don't remember much from that night, so all I can tell you is what I know. That one minute I was downstairs with everyone else, and the next I was in the guest bedroom on the white bed. He said many things I hope he regrets now. About Lena mostly, about how he only dated her to get closer to me. I was weak. Both physically and mentally, so I couldn't stop it. It felt like a dream, no, a nightmare that was out of my control," I finish. I glance at the jury. Her face is emotionless. My gaze grazes over Stephen's painted-on smirky glare that's suddenly mixed with frustration. Finally my eyes land on Renee, who's nodding with approval. "Thank you for your support," I smile softly and slide back down next to Renee.

This is going to be a long, hard, and confusing trial.