chapter eleven

Serenity Morales

I pushed off, one foot at a time, making sure to leave my house early. Yes, I was actually walking to school today and it was great considering it was sunny outside. Not a single cloud in the sky was present. I felt a surge of peace, feeling the sun on my skin and the blue skies.

The weekend was nothing but a blur. I actually helped Marissa clean up this time. Mom and dad came home Sunday, and everyone acted like everything was fine at the dinner that I didn't bother to eat more than half of. My parents chatted while Marissa sipped alcohol (unknowingly to my parents) and I just wasted away.

I was more than half way to the school when I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. I looked at the caller ID and rolled my eyes, but didn't send it to voicemail. Once it stopped vibrating, I turned it off and slipped it back into my back pocket.

"Hey," I heard Korina catching up to me. She narrowed her eyes at me. "Did you walk to school today?" I nodded and her eyes widened. "Do you have any idea how unsafe that is?" She nearly cried.

I looked down a little at my shoes hitting the floor. "I'm sorry. Justin and I got into a little awkward tension and I don't really want to see him."

"You could have told me," she frowned, wrapping an arm around my shoulder and pulling me into a hug. "I would have picked you up or at least gotten Lucas to do it."

"It's fine," I muttered awkwardly. "By the way, why is Lucas never at school?"

She let out a breath through her nose. "I try to tell him all the time, but he won't listen to me. He dropped out because supposedly he has 'bigger things to worry about' in that business."

I gave her a sorry smile. "It's gonna be okay." But even I wasn't sure. "Is he gonna get his GED?"

She pursed her lips in thought. "Well, at the moment, no. Hopefully he will soon after though. I really want what's best for him, you know?" I nodded. "I told him I loved him..." She trailed off and my eyes widened, gesturing for her to go on. "It was mid argument when he was mad at me because that guy flirted with me this weekend, remember? I couldn't help it. I was angry that he even though I would cheat on him. I loved him, and I told him and once it was out in the open, he kissed me. He apologized and told me that he too, did love me, so much might I add," she grinned at the fond memory.

"I'm so happy for you, I told you he loves you," I smiled.

"Then we went back to his place and, you know...sealed the deal."

I started laughing. "Sealed the deal? Who even says that anymore?"

She stomped her foot and feigned an angry expression. "Don't laugh at me! Would you rather me say we fucked? Made love? I was trying to make it less awkward."

"I think you two are cute," I admitted.

"Don't even let me start on how good he is in bed or how many rounds we had," she said dreamily and I grimaced.

"Keep those to yourself." But she didn't. She continued talking and to be honest I just let her, I didn't mind. I have never seen my best friend this happy. I've seen her hop from bad relationship to bad relationship only to finally find the true love she's been looking for. I applauded and envied her.

The day dragged on and to be honest, I just wanted to go home and lie down on my bed. Perhaps sleep forever and just do my homework in the morning. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about Justin. I also had think about how I was gonna dodge him. I had a feeling he would be outside waiting for me. Or maybe he'd be too angry with me so he just stayed home and got the message that I didn't want to see him. But who was I kidding? This was Justin we're talking about. He was perhaps the most impulsive person I have ever met, with the shortest fuse that I so happened to ignite this morning.