chapter forty two

Serenity's POV

I didn't know how many times Justin said no about meeting my mom again. I couldn't blame him, considering how the first time I had went. I didn't even want to wear makeup in fear that I would end the night in tears again. If I was going to cry again, the last thing I wanted was to look like a raccoon like last time.

I was believing things wouldn't be that bad. Things between my mom and I were looking up but that didn't make me any less nervous. Of course my dad was ecstatic to have Justin back over and Marissa seemed to have changed. I highly doubted she would try anything like she had last time.

I helped my mother set the table to try and calm my nerves. I was hoping she wouldn't be as judgmental as last time. She promised she'd be better but truly I was hoping it wasn't all just an act. I didn't want this to be pity due to my situation. I wanted her to actually want to mend our relationship as well as make things better between Justin and herself. I didn't want her to feel like she had to do this just because I was leaving soon—just because I had a problem.

I sighed to myself. I always managed to do a whole lot of overthinking even when I was trying to keep myself distracted.

When the doorbell rang I nearly collapsed into him. He chuckled as I wrapped my arms around him and hurried my face into his chest.

"Someone's excited to see me," he mumbled into my hair before kissing my head.

I pulled back up and look him in the eye. "I'm nervous," I said quietly.

He sighed. "It'll be fine. If you think you're nervous you can only imagine me. You know I," his voice dropped to a whisper, "don't even want to be here."

My lips flattened. He had way more to be nervous about than me. Last time she insulted him in every and any way. I knew he was a confident person but even the most confident people had their moments.

"Yeah, I know but you love me so you're here," I smiled up at him cheekily.

"You just think you're so cute," he rolled his eyes.

"I am cute," I said, leaning and kissing his cheek. "Now, come on. I'm sure they're wondering what's taking us so long."

"Well, can they wonder a bit longer," he asked, pulling me against him by the waist, "because I really want to kiss you."

I wasn't breathing but we both jumped away, startled at the voice.

"Justin, it's nice to see you again," my father said, moving towards us.

I wasn't sure if he saw us in the embrace and if he did, he didn't say anything.

"It's nice to see you again as well, Mr. Morales," Justin smiled warmly, their hands meeting in a handshake.

My dad looked at me. "Well, aren't you going to shut the front door? Or will there be other guests coming?"

I looked over to the front door quickly, actually shocked that I forgot to shut it. "No, no one else will be joining us. Silly mistake." I went and shut it.

"Next time shut the front door before you start canoodling. We don't want any unwelcomed guests or pests," he said pointedly.

I grew insanely uncomfortable as I stared back at him.

"We'll be in, in a minute," I managed to say through my blush.

"Good because I'm hungry," he nodded.

As he walked away, I grabbed Justin's hand and pulled him towards the dining room. He was stifling his laughter and I just glared at him. I didn't find it funny.