1 ➳ Camera Guy

"Well, Mr. Lester-"

"-Phil."

The woman in front of Phil smiles warmly. "Phil. I'll have you know I am very happy that you will be working on this project. I look forward to working with you, as are the actors. I'm glad the play company and the film company are actually working together on a project for once," she laughs a little.

Phil smiles back. "Thank you for this opportunity, Ms...?"

"Diana. Everyone here calls me by my first name, so you might as well." The woman, Diana, can't be more than five years older than Phil, probably less than that. Her messy mousy brunette hair is pulled back and secured with a hair clip. Her sweater sleeves are obviously too long, hiding most of her hands. Bright pink glasses perch at the end of her nose.

"Rehearsals start December 1st, 9 a.m. sharp. Please don't be late," Diana instructs, typing something into the computer on her desk.

"I won't."

This is Phil's first real job. He can't mess up anything on the first day.

"Excellent. Most of the actors usually arrive at 8 or so, so you're welcome to come early if you wish."

Let's just say Phil's not exactly a morning person.

"Alright, I think that's everything, any questions?" Diana asks, folding her hands and looking at Phil.

Phil shakes his head no.

"Great. Remember, December 1st, 9 o'clock."

Phil nods.

One week. One week to scrape up that last thirty pounds and finally buy a real camera. One week before Phil's life changes forever.

He just doesn't know it yet.

*~*~*~*

I'm late.

It's the first day and I'm late.

Phil grabs his new (and rather expensive) camera and hastily shoves it in his messenger bag, along with a few stray pieces of paper and pens that are probably out of ink.

He runs through the crowded campus of the university, looking for the theatre the play company is using for their rehearsals, muttering excuse me's and sorry's all the way.

Phil finally finds the building, a large square thing in the center of campus. Without hesitation he bursts through the double doors.

"-And some camera guy from the film company is going to be filming a sort of documentary...short film...type thing. I don't know. It's like going to be behind the scenes or whatever."

Phil freezes as he feels a hundred pairs of eyes turn and look at him.

The entire theater-with its ginormous stage and thousands of red velvet chairs and box seats hanging on the wall-goes silent.

"See," says the same voice from before. "There he is."

Phil's eyes shoot to the side, where he sees a big group of people gathered together like they're some kind of gang. Some are sitting in the theater seats, some are crossed-legged on the floor, some are standing, but one stands out. He's sitting on the back of a chair, leaning his back against the wall, his feet on the backs of seats in front of him.