5 ➳ Camera Guy

Phil couldn't sleep last night. He was thinking way too much about the day before.

He must've caught The Lead in a good mood.

Dan actually came to him for the interview. He didn't have to chase him down for it.

He picked up his things when they fell from his lap.

For God's sake, he actually took his glasses and put them on his face for him.

Phil caught him in a good mood yesterday.

Phil also caught feelings yesterday.

Today, though, Phil is determined to not be distracted. He has a job to do. Be the Camera Guy. That's it. No friendships, and definitely no relationships further than friends.

Phil is early to rehearsal today. He's busy looking down, reviewing the notes in his hands as he walks up the stairs to the theater. He flips to the next page before pushing open the double doors with his shoulder.

Not a single person is there in the theater yet.

Phil smiles with contentment, checks his watch, and swings his messenger bag off his shoulder.

Rehearsal officially starts in about two hours. Two hours until Phil has to start his work, and two hours until he has to face that Lead.

Phil takes a seat in one of the folding chairs and continues to read over his notes. The plan for today is to interview the lead actress playing Juliet, Penny, and to get some candid shots of the actors doing a read through of each scene.

Simple enough, right?

Phil sets his notebook down on the floor by his feet and looks up at the stage. Only a few lights are on, casting an eerie yellow glow over the stage and first few rows of seats. Everything is so silent, Phil can hear his own heart beating in his chest.

Just as Phil bends over to pick up his book, a faint noise breaks the silence.

Phil freezes, holds his breath, and tilts his head to the side to get a better listen.

If Phil wasn't mistaken, it almost sounds like...

A piano?

Someone singing?

Phil forgets about his notebook and carefully stands up. The obvious source of the noise is the orchestra pit, but who could be here, playing piano and singing a song, this early?

Phil checks his watch yet again. 6:54 a.m.

Taking care not to make any noise, Phil slowly walks down the aisle toward the stage, his dark blue tennis shoes crunching against the velvet carpet.

He squints his eyes to see through the dim yellow lighting as he creeps closer to the orchestra pit. The music grows louder with each step, as does the familiar, melodic voice singing along.

"Can't we be seventeen?"

Phil can make out the lyrics of the song now. Just mere steps away from the orchestra pit, he can almost make out who's singing those lyrics, too.

"Is that so hard to do?"

Phil walks up to the orchestra pit hesitantly. He doesn't want whoever's singing to notice him.

He doesn't want whoever's singing to stop.

When he finally reaches the pit, he gently places his hands on the wall and peers over the side, down into the orchestra below.