Chapter 7 - The Date

Saturday 6:30 p.m
    The entire school is buzzing about the magical night, the most favorable in all of homecoming. An event that can make or break relationships, and can surface feelings. Such a night happens once a year, when automatic has not yet quite chilled the night air. It follows the homecoming football game, right when school spirit is at its peak.
    Tonight is the homecoming dance, Lukas and Mathias's first date. As expected, the two young lovers are very nervous, and very excited.
    And here, our chapter begins.

~~

"Hey, Berwald?"
     Mathias calls Berwald no later than a minute after Lukas and Emil go shopping for formal wear for the dance. And frankly, he was terrified.
    "Hey, this is Tino, he's in the shower right now."
    "That's okay, I need the two of you."
    "Why?"
    "You're both going to the dance tonight, yes?"
    "Yeah, why?"
    "Wanna come over and get ready together?"
    "Sure! See you soon."
    "Thanks! Bye!"
     Mathias clicks the phone off and places it in his pocket. He goes to his too-large closet and runs his fingers over a hanger. It holds his tuxedo, the one he plans on wearing tonight.
     He pulls it out and lays it on the bed, admiring it. It is the best suit he has. It has black dress pants and a red dress shirt. He wasn't really a tie kind of person, and usually wore it with a few of the top buttons undone.
      Mathias sits next to it on the bed and waits for his friends. As he plays Candy Crush on his electronic, the knot of nerves inhabiting his stomach weaves tighter. Sweat needs to be wiped from his screen every now and then. In the silence his foot tapping is like a heart beat.
     Tonight was the night. He didn't know exactly for what, but he knew it'd be great.

~~
     On the other side of the city lies Lukas and Emil, who sit in the food court, waiting for their tuxedos to be finished.
      After a few spoonfuls of fro-yo, Emil speaks first. Lukas has barely spoken that evening, and Emil could tell he was worrying about it all. The upcoming date in addition to the newly discovered reason they were in Denmark is taking a toll on the Norwegian teen.
    "How are you?"
    "Fine."
    "That's good."
      Lukas nods. Emil decides small talk isn't going to work and decided to go straight for it.
    "What's the plan for tonight? You know, with Mathias?"
    "I have no plan."
     "Really? The first hot guy to ask  you out and you don't have a plan?"
     "Well, I have a goal."
    "Excellent! Do that."
    "That's it?"
    "Oh no. We still need to teach you how to slow dance."
    "I know how."
     With this, Emil gives a tiny laugh.
    "Like, 2016 slow dance, Gramps. Not to mention with somebody taller than you."
   "And how are we suppose to accomplish this?"
    "We will go home and look up tutorials on YouTube. I've seen a servant or too about the size of Mathias, I'm sure they'd be happy to help."

~~

Getting Ready, 7:00
Lukas and Emil

    "Alright, we've got one hour until the dance and my date should be here soon."
    "Your date?"
    "Yes, but never mind me, you should go get dressed."
    "I'm telling mom."
    "Don't you dare."
    "Only if you tell me who your date is."
    "Well, um, you know that exchange student..."
    "Interesting. No wonder you've been glued to that phone."
    "Oh shut up and get dressed!"
    "I'm going, I'm going."
     With that, Lukas steps into the bathroom with part of his tux. After he is in, Emil flys down the hall and into Mathias room.
     He opens the door swiftly and nearly silently. Berwald and Tino sit on the bed while Mathias rests on his office chair. The two on the bed are already in formal wear.
    "Hey, Emil, what's up?"
    "What's you plans with my brother tonight?"
    "Um to have a good time?"
    "You better. He deserves it."
     Emil directs two fingers at his eyes, then points them at Mathias (aka the 'I'm watching you sign).