44

I must have fallen asleep because I can feel someone running their fingers through my hair; I lift my head to see that it is my sister smiling down at me while Clary continues to sleep. I stand up and every muscle in my body feels tight; I feel like I just ran twenty miles. Izzy presses her hand against my chest as she rests her dark hair on my shoulder; carefully I wrap my arms around her and give her a gentle hug so I don't hurt her injuries. When she steps back her dark eyes are glassy and the grimace on her face when she glances at Clary's broken body lying on the bed makes my chest ache.

"Alec told me about the baby; I am so sorry Jace."

"Shh...I don't know how much she can hear and I want to be the one to tell her. Where is Alec?"

"He went with Simon; Simon needed to get something from his apartment."

The something that Simon must need to get has to be blood considering that he has been here at the hospital with us all day and most of the night. When I glance out of the small window in Clary's room I can see that the sun is starting to come up; it must be a little after six in the morning. No wonder my muscles hurt; I must have slept in that chair for close to seven hours.

"How are you feeling Iz?"

"Terrible; I'm glad they are working on my discharge papers. I can't wait to go home and use my stele and take a hot shower."

"I wish I could get away with taking Clary out of here; I know she would heal so much faster if I could use my stele on her. I have mine with me and I'm half tempted to just use it on her anyhow."

"Jace you can't do that. If the doctors come in here and find her injuries healing at that rate of speed they will lock her up as some kind of miracle patient; you will just have to wait until they let her go home."

"I have a feeling she will be in here a while."

"She doesn't even really look like Clary with all those bruises and bandages does she?"

"She looks so much smaller in that bed with all those tubes coming out of her." I mumble as I take Clary's hand in mine.

Izzy comes and stands beside me and holds my other hand as the two of us look down at Clary. Suddenly one of the machines starts beeping loudly and before either one of us can react; two nurses come rushing in. One of the nurses gives me an apologetic smile as she pushes me out of the way to check on Clary. The other nurse hurries to the phone hanging on the wall and presses a button before her soft yet clear voice speaks into the receiver.

"Yes this is Nurse Adams; I need Dr. Stubben in room 219 immediately."

Nurse Adams darts her light colored(I think they might actually be green) eyes in my direction as she waits for a response from whoever she is speaking to.

"Dr. Liptak will be fine but get a page out to Dr. Stubben also; he wants to be up to date on Miss Fairchild's status at all times."

Nurse Adams hangs up the phone and returns to Clary's side; thankfully she presses several buttons on the beeping machine and it goes silent.

"What's wrong? Is she going to be okay?" I ask weakly.

Nurse Adams finally looks me straight in the eye and I can now see that her eyes are in fact green. Her green eyes are a very light green though; Clary has almost Emerald green eyes.

"I would prefer to wait for Dr. Liptak to take a look at Clary's vitals before I say anything. You are her fiancé right?"

"Y-yes, my name is Jace and this is my sister Isabelle."