Prologue

Prologue:

Hiroshi Tsukishima watched the next generation of  shinobi through a one-way mirror. The six-year-olds were gathered in a small room that served as a makeshift classroom, and the children were chattering amongst themselves since the teacher had yet to arrive. Most of the conversations that he heard pertained to how there was only a handful who passed the class last year.

Hiroshi had been questioned many times by the villagers in Konoha as to why so few children from his clan were allowed become shinobi. The parents of genin expressed their concern for the harsh treatments they only heard rumors of. They would always compare Tsukishima Clan to the Uchiha Clan, saying, "Even the Uchiha Clan does not require preparation classes. Why would you crush the dreams of children?"

To those kinds of comments, Hiroshi only replied that he seeks excellence from the members of his clan. And when he was met with looks of disapproval and disappointment, he would give the adults a passive smile and walk away.

Even the officials of Konoha looked at the Tsukishima Clan in distrust, but for a different reason entirely: they feared the potential Tsukishima shinobi possesed. And yet, as long as Hiroshi was able to constantly provide powerful shinobi to the Leaf Village, those officials would quiet their protests and utilize the children as weapons for war.

Suppressing a sigh, Hiroshi set his thoughts aside. If he let himself delve too far into those dangerous waters, he may never come back out.

"How many typically continue beyond these classes and onto the Academy in Konoha?" Hiroshi asked a female to his right, turning his head to indicate he was addressing her. He didn't know the chunin's name, but she was applying for the position to teach a preparation class next year. If she was to do her duty properly, she needed to know the basics.

The kunoichi was quiet as she searched for the statistic in her memory. "There are twelve children. Based on the trends from years before, approximately half will quit this year due to the physical training. Once the teacher starts the lessons on the more advanced lessons next year, the number will be cut in half again. There should be total of three or so who have a chance of attending the Academy."

Hiroshi nodded. He continued to ask the chunin questions, evaluating how prepared she was for this task. Once the door to the classroom opened, Hiroshi fell silent. The teacher walked in, her strides were short and confident. With a bag carelessly swinging in her grip, she crossed the short distance between the door and the front of the classroom. Her brown hair fell just above her jawline and covered the left side of her face.

If Hiroshi hadn't known the kunoichi for years, he would have been intimidated. Her face was impassive, and her eyes were cold. A pair of swords hung off her lean frame as her hand laid comfortably on the hilt of a sword sheathed at her hip. Unlike the typical image of a teacher, Junko Tsukishima looked prepared for battle.

Hiroshi almost laughed out loud. She would have a battle on her hands alright, but with a group of six-year-olds. He leaned back on his heels to observe the strongest kunoichi in the Tsukishima Clan instruct the group of children.

~*~*~

Junko scanned over the gathered children. Some realized that she arrived, but not all. Most were still engrossed with gossip and pointless matters. So, above the chatter, she began to speak. "My name is Junko, but you will address me as Junko-sensei." The last of the children quieted at the sound of her cold voice. "I'm a jonin, the highest rank of shinobi below the Hokage."

Junko pulled out a thin scroll from the bag she had at her feet. She unraveled it and showed it to the classroom. Twenty-four pairs of eyes squinted to read the tiny print.