Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

A small ring emitted from a bell above the door. That was the only sound to announce his arrival. Tsukki stepped into the small weapons shop, and he scanned the store for someone to help him. The desk at the back was vacant, and there was no one along the walls sorting through the tools used for war, death and protection.

"Hello?" he called out. The door shut behind him with a soft click and tinkle.

A sudden noise of shuffling around from the back room filled the small shop. A head of black hair with two buns twisted and pinned up high poked out. Gray eyes made contact with his silver ones, and he noted the girl wore a pink, qipao-style blouse. The girl appeared to be his age, but probably a little bit older.

"Hi! Sorry! Did you wait long?" she asked, flustered. He shook his head. A smile grew on her lips. She stepped up to the counter, gesturing for him to come closer so they wouldn't have to shout. "Great. Now, what can I do?"

"I'm looking for a pair of daggers," Tsukki replied, walking forward. "My other set was lost on a mission."

"Ah." A brief shadow of grief passed over her face. "Losing faithful weapons are one of the greatest tragedies." Her face immediately brightened. "But that's why I'm here! What are your measurements?"

The blond thought for a second, recalling the last time he had been measured, and recited the numbers. With a smile and nod, the girl did a quick scan of the shelves before heading into the back. Tsukki wandered over to browse the various weapons in the walls. The girl returned a few minutes later.

"So I have a few options for you," she said as she laid out several different blades, "but I think you may like these."

Tsukki's eyes focused on the daggers she pointed to. The blades was sleek and sharp, but it was the color of the metal that caught his attention. Instead of the typical reflective silver most blades were made with, these daggers were made from a black metal. If he stared at the blades long enough, he swore they were absorbing the light around them. The blond reached down to test the weight and balance.

"These are made with an experimental metal," the girl explained when she noticed where his attention was focused. "It's based off of the metal used to make kunai, but it's not the same exactly. A few minor differences."

"Are they as unbreakable as a kunai?" he asked. He had never seen a kunai break, but Daichi's sword chipped constantly, much to the older boy's dismay.

She nodded, a wide smile stretching across her face. "And the metal requires little maintenance since it doesn't dull as often as a kunai. Are you interested?"

Tsukki glanced at the daggers again. A small shine of gold caught his eye, and he examined the hilt. "Don't tell me this is real gold..."

"Yep," she said proudly. "I added a few threads of gold before I finished wrapping it. I wanted to add a bit of color, but when you use them, no one will see it. A little secret between you and me." The girl playfully pressed a finger to her lips.

Tsukki glanced back at the daggers. She was right. Both of them were completely black except for the thin rivers of gold that boldly contrasted the dark hilts. His hands would cover the color, making the daggers invisible if he used them at night.

"How much?" he asked. She named the price, and Tsukki immediately schooled his features. It took a moment for him to speak. "I'm sorry. I don't have nearly enough. You did an amazing job though, making these. They're beautiful."

He began to move away from the counter, a sprout of disappointment growing in his chest. The black daggers rested on the counter, itching to be used, but he forced his gaze away.