Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

  The sound of rushing footsteps echoed through the empty hallway as the rattled chunin hurried on with a purpose. Only one thought was on her mind as she swiftly knocked on the closed door, impatiently waiting for the word to enter. When he called out, she darted in and immediately knelt before the Hokage, her head bowed in respect.

  "At ease, Kasumi," the old man waved away the formalities. He caught onto the urgency that leak from the kunoichi despite her efforts. "What happened?"

  "The mission of Team Seven," she began quickly, "has been changed from C- to A-ranked. The client has admitted to lying on the request sheet due to not having enough money to file for higher. The unease you felt was correct, Hokage-sama."

  "So your chameleons were necessary after all..." he mumbled. He met her dark gaze. "Who is on standby?"

~*~*~

  After days of fast travel and little rest, Tsukki and his teammates finally reached the border of the Land of Fire. Junko disappeared for a moment. When she returned, a boat and a frightened sailor were waiting at the edge of the dock. The air was thick with tension as they silently boarded the boat and cut through the still water. Even Hotaru didn't dare make a sound.

  Junko was up and in the trees the moment the boat touched the shore. Tsukki scrambled to follow as Daichi and Hotaru clambered out behind him. The blond managed to breathe a 'Thank you' to the shaking sailor as he passed.

  The sounds of voices were faint as they rushed through the trees, but soon it swelled until the words almost became distinguishable. The trees cleared and the blond stopped short.

  "They're walking up and down trees..." he muttered under his breath. Disbelief and annoyance seeped into his words before he could bite his tongue.

  Sakura was high in a tree, shouting down at Sasuke and Naruto. Both boys were standing by trees with nicks cut deep into the trunks. With a few more exchanged words, Sasuke took a running start and proceeded to walk partway up the tree before digging his kunai in the bark and falling back down.

  "How are they doing that?!" Hotaru whispered in awe.

  Tsukki rolled his eyes at that. The boy was oblivious to the fact that the Hokage sent them racing after Team Seven to help, preventing them from beginning a mission of tracking down an awakened being, only to find the genin climbing trees.

  "Chakra," Junko answered in a quiet voice. "They focus it to the soles of the feet, adhering to the tree, but they have to use a certain amount. Too little and they will fall; too much and they be repelled from the tree."

  Just as she spoke, Naruto slipped while Sasuke was shoved away from his tree, leaving a deep footprint in the bark. As the Uchiha's body fell through the air, he twisted himself to land on his feet.

  "The exercise is meant to teach proper chakra control." Junko's implication was clear—Kakashi's students didn't have that skill. Tsukki knew he had it, and he had no doubt his teammates were any different. What a difference a few months and a relentless instructor made.

  The kunoichi leapt off the branch she was standing on, and landed lightly on the ground below. She paused to allow the genin to descend and she continued. "While they are learning how to walk up trees, you will gain summonings."

  Tsukki instinctively covered his ears, but Daichi was smart and slapped a hand over the green haired boy's mouth. Hotaru's whoop of excitement was muffled by the older boy's hand, and the genin in the clearing remained oblivious. The jonin on the other hand titled his head and a knowing smile curled his concealed lips.

  The blond let his arms fall back to his sides. Daichi removed his hand, and a bright grin overtook Hotaru's face. "We're actually learning it?!"

  "Yes." Junko faced forward and directed them to a clearing to make camp. Tsukki caught that faint smile that played on her lips despite her attempt to conceal it.

  Hotaru's excitement was contagious.

~*~*~

  After one day of preparation, the kunoichi gathered them around the extinguished campfire from the previous night. "I assume you three have the provisions I told you to acquire." Nods greeted her sweeping gaze—the genin spent the entire day searching the poor town for food and other essentials. "Good. You only have one week to make a contract with your respective summoning. No matter whether you're successful or not, you must be back in this clearing by then."

  Hotaru opened his mouth to ask a question, but Junko predicted it. "By then Kakashi will be fully recovered, but so will Zabuza. A final fight will ensue, and we must be prepared to assist."

  "That's our mission after all," Daichi added. He shared a smile with the green haired boy. Tsukki glanced away, and took his time rechecking his backpack.

  "Now," Junko spoke up, "who will go first?" She didn't have to ask that. They all knew who it would be.

  Hotaru stepped forward, a grin stretching wide across his face. "Here I go!" His hands effortlessly formed the seals. "Ninja Art: Summoning Jutsu!"

  A cloud of smoke rose up and engulfed him. When the opaque smoke cleared, Hotaru was gone. Tsukki made a mental note to tell the boy he used too much chakra when he returned.

  Junko glanced at the two remaining genin, an unspoken question in her eyes. Daichi stepped forward, a nervous look on his face, and performed the required seals. Tsukki pretended the older boy didn't have to reform the seals.

  "Summoning jutsu," Daichi whispered, his words wobbling. He was gone in the cloud of smoke on his second attempt at the jutsu.

  "Haruto," Junko spoke up. Tsukki glanced over. His hands paused their formation of seals and dropped to his sides. "Will this... thing between you and Hotaru affect the mission?"

  The blond blinked. He didn't think it was noticeable enough to attract her attention. "I don't believe so. Has it affected training?"

  "It's affected Hotaru."

  A flicker of confusion. "What do you mean?"

  "He's been distracted."

  "I don't expect it to hinder the mission," Tsukki answered with certainty. "If it does, then I'll pick up the pieces."

  Junko nodded, satisfied. "Then go ahead."

  Tsukki took one last look around the forest, taking in the details. He inhaled, centering himself. Any thought that wasn't pertaining to the present was shoved away. He steadied his hands. 

  "Summoning Jutsu," he breathed after he carefully formed the seals. Smoke filled his vision and he felt any sense of direction disappear.

__________________
I feel so bad! I know I've promised an update to a few loyal readers, but it's so belated now. I'm so so sorry!! Especially since I don't know how to feel about this chapter...

Nonetheless, thank you for continuing to read! Please don't forget to vote and comment ^_^

This has been edited on 12/7/17