#1

"Life is an endless series of ups and downs. No one is ever able to escape the course of fate. We are all puppets in a string, never actually in control of our own destinies. Never actually accountable for feats of bravery or courage; just pawns on a chess set." Hestia read out the latest draft of what she hoped would be her greatest achievement. She was an aspiring writer, and aimed for the completion and publication of her novel before the end of the year, which was a mere six months away. She was nowhere near to meeting that self-imposed deadline; but where's the harm in trying?

Hestia Grange was an old soul stuck in a world obsessed with modernity. She was a rare kind of woman, more a woman of substance than a frivolous ninny like the crippling majority of females had become. She preferred the company of animal to human, the exotic and foreign lands of the earth held more allure for her than the most beautiful of males. Hestia needed more in a man than a gorgeous outward appearance and nothing more to recommend him.

She was a local favorite among the senior citizens and not so very popular with her own generation. College students didn't appreciate mental maturity as much as they did physical maturity. She was a naturally curious sort, with her nose buried in someone else's life more often than not. But fortunately for her, people adored her quirky self and let her be.

Contrary to popular transitions into adult life, she had chosen to stay with her family and attend the local college. She was a family oriented individual and liked to be surrounded by the loud, boisterous family gifted her by fate.

Hestia's father had abandoned them when she was a few months old. Her mother had married Henry Thorne six years ago, and as a result they had moved across the country and we're now living with Henry in his hometown. Hestia couldn't be happier for her mother; she deserved all the happiness in the world. Ever since they had joined the family; the Thorne's had welcomed them with open arms. Not for a moment letting the two feel like outsiders. They were a closely knit family and valued the bonds of family above all else. Henry's son, Steven had been extremely kind and supportive toward Hestia, helping her to find possible publishing houses for when her novel would be ready for publication. He had also been like a guardian angel, firmly and efficiently steering away attention from his cousins. Steven had proven himself to be the older brother she had always wanted. Although he had moved out to his own house in the neighboring town, he still kept a close watch on her and came to visit as often as he could, never letting her feel abandoned in the least.

The Thorne's owned and operated factories and production houses that catered to firms all over the world. The family was headed by an often absent Jordan Thorne, the current majority shareholder and CEO of the company. Jordan was the oldest son of the previous head; Cameron Thorne, who had passed away as a result of a heart condition when Jordan was just a boy. Therefore, starting from the time when he was in junior year of high school; Jordan had taken his father's place and had been operating and managing the business. He had succeeded in taking the business to new heights, and now ten years after his taking over the running of the company; he seemed intent to bring the company to even greater heights.

The company was a successful family run business that most of the family youngsters eventually joined and worked for. Hestia too had been offered a job by the company, but she had declined. She wasn't meant for corporate work, and she knew there was no shame in accepting that. She was focusing on her passion and studying for her undergraduate degree simultaneously. She was currently in her second year of college, and savoring the entirely too short winter break before she would have to return and bear the torture that was college, once again.

"Just one more episode." She muttered to herself as she snuggled further into the warm embrace of her blanket. She had been binge watching a detective comedy for one day straight, and was now close to the last episode of the third season.