#2

Recap:

"Well, that's all the respect you're getting." Jordan rolled his eyes, Hestia silently pinched herself; she was seeing things. Jordan was not one for childish behavior. "You've become senile in your old age, aunt."

"I'll show you old age!" Eleanor crowed triumphantly as she whacked him on the head with her cane. "Bloody idiot back talking me."

Hestia slowly inched away from the two before hightailing it out of there. What was wrong with the world today?

Chapter 2:

Hestia had spent most of yesterday holed up in the surprisingly well-stocked library at Jordan's home; with her major sources of relaxation, books and solitude. She had pleaded a headache and had left the party as soon as possible.

Steven had been fidgety and seemed to be on edge. Eric had been sending her weird glances all night; the meaning of which she had absolutely no idea. Jordan had been monitoring the Stewarts' interactions with the family like a hawk, always close by the two. Eleanor had gotten roaring drunk and tried to wrestle anyone within arm's reach.

Hestia had badly needed a break.

Today was the second day of the Christmas party, and she was already so exhausted. All the interaction with people had worn her out; she could barely tolerate her parents, let alone an entire crowd. She had an intense introversion trait, and rarely left the house unless necessary. Glancing at the clock, she let out a load groan at the realization that it was time to get dressed and leave the house once more. Breakfast for the family was being hosted by one of the many aunts and uncles in town. Grumbling and moaning under her breath, she dragged herself to the closet and pulled out the first thing she saw; a strappy black dress with white polka dots.

Unwilling to put in more effort, Hestia got ready in record time. She applied minimum makeup before pulling her hair up into a soft ponytail; she paired a black cardigan and black boots with the dress. Her clothing choice reflected her sour mood perfectly; she couldn't handle so much socialization.

--

Carefully scoping her surroundings for Jordan, Steven and Eric, Hestia made her way to the most secluded corner of the hall. The breakfast was being given in a large hall used for weddings and formal occasions; that also opened to lush gardens on all sides.

"Are you trying to hide?" An amused voice spoke from the shadows. Swiveling about on her feet, Hestia breathed a sigh of relief as it turned out to be Chris, one of the many Thorne cousins crawling about the area. Chris may have been Jordan's younger brother, but the two were as different as night and day. "Well, I think you should know that you're doing a very bad job of it too."

"Will you be quiet?" Hestia hissed. Chris was one of the few people Hestia felt comfortable with. He was a fellow introvert and they had always hid away together when dragged to family functions.

"And here I was; trying to help a cousin out." Chris lamented dramatically. "After all I've done for you, this is how you repay me?" He deliberately raised his voice, knowing it would bring attention to them and irk Hestia.

"I will tell Jordan." Hestia fumed.

"What are you five?" Chris chortled. "And it's not like Jordan would care in the first place."

"Well he would..." Hestia trailed off, unwilling to admit defeat.

"Wouldn't." Chris spoke smugly.

Hestia merely glared at him before turning her back to him. Chris flippantly rolled his eyes before grabbing her wrist and pulling her through the crowd and out into the gardens. He whistled merrily as he dragged a fuming, hissing Hestia behind him.