Chapter 1

Arthur's P.O.V.

I was in my chambers going over a secret treaty with the Druid King. I have never met him. The whole thing is being made through one of his Council members, as a birthday gift, Emrys. That is what they are calling him. Birthday is coming up. The only reasons I am signing this is to get on his good side. Having him as an ally you know.

Merlin came walking in the room, again he fails to knock. "Hey Arthur, ca I get next week off to go visit my mom?"

I rube my face with my hands. I can't say no, he rarely ask for things. Sure he complains a lot but he doesn't ask for much.

"why is there something wrong with your mom?"

I was soundly worried. Merlin's mom is like my mom, plus she treats me like a son. 

"No but-"

I cut him off midway. 

"No Merlin, I am going to be signing a treaty and I need you to do your job." Guilt flash through me. I wish I could give him the week off. But I just can't, not right now.

"Arthur can-"

I cut him off again, I was soundly very mad. He knows I need him.

"MERLIN! STOP TALKING, the answer is no. Nothing is changing that. Stop thinking only about yourself. I have paperwork after paperwork to do and I need you for once in your ungrateful life to do your job"

Merlin looks me dead in the eye and says "as you wish your highness. Nothing is more important than your happiness"

Then he bows and leaves. Great, just what i need. I will give him a day off after the treaty is done and over with. Then he will forgive me.

The bell rang for midday, I get up and walk to the training field hopping to see Merlin there. When I walk up to him to tell him I will give him the day off latter on. Then he does something that drives me beyond crazy, he bares his neck to me like every servant is supposed to do. He doesn't look me in the eye and says

"Good afternoon my Lord what weapon would you like to train with?"

He is being stupid and selfish. I roll my eyes and say

"Swords this time half armor" 

"yes my Lord"

He sets about his task not looking me in the eyes. I finally snapped 

"Merlin this is childish. I will give you a day off after the paper work. Okay?"

When he replies he does so without looking me in the eyes

"Forget it my Lord it was nothing important anyway. All that matters is that you're happy"

He hands me my sword and goes about polishing the rest of my armor

I can't deal with him at this moment. I walk to Leon ready to fight.