Battle Ready

I balance Judith on my left knee, as she pulls at the ends of my hair. My hair tips are now constantly wet, when I'm around her. She loves sucking on the ends. "I think we need to get her a pacifier." I say, when I notice Carl in the doorway. "I think she just likes your hair." Carl takes a seat beside me at the side of the cot.

"Are we staying here." Peter asks. I always feel bad for him because he never truly understands what's going on. It must be horrible being such a young age during these times. I hear a knocking noise come from the door, I tilt my head. "I can take her if you want. You guys should pack up." It's Beth's soft voice. I transfer Judith to her, returning to the cell.

"Most of my guns are already packed. I can help with yours." Carl says. I swear this isn't anything that boy wouldn't help me with. "Ok." I walk up to Peter. "Carl's gonna help you get ready. I'll be back in a minute." I gently kiss the top of his tiny forehead. I start making my way toward the door, when I feel a hand grasp my wrist. "Where are you going?" Carl's eyes fill with concern.

"I need to ask Maggie something." Now that "something" isn't something that I feel like elaborating on right now. I'm just praying that he doesn't ask me what it is. He lets go without a word, as I head to Maggie's cell. She's hunched over a duffle bag, zipping in guns and ammunition. "Um Maggie?" I don't know why, but I feel a bit nervous. "What would you like sweetie." That response lets me know I went to the right person.

"How did you know when you first liked Glenn?" I'm trying to get to my point in the most nonchalant way I can. "Well I really got to know him and I found out he has a kind heart. Right away, he did what he could to protect me. Why do you ask?" She smiles at the last sentence. "Well is it normal to not know if you like someone?" I rotate my thumbs around each other. "Yeah, that actually happens a lot. Do you have someone in mind?"

She probably already knows, I mean there really is only one viable option. "Yes." I scan around the room, before I continue. "Carl." I half whisper, looking down. She laughs in a giddy way. "Well that's normal to have a crush on him. You two are best friends. I bet he likes you too." I never really thought about Carl liking me. "Really?" Just then Glenn walks in. "We'll continue this later." She hugs me, then I leave.

"What was that about?" I hear Glenn ask. "Oh, just girl stuff." Now I definitely know I went to the right person. Tiny Time Skip. Carl, Hershel and I stand in woods. Rick told us the wait here, while the Governor infiltrated the prison. "This is so unfair." Carl, unlocks the safety on his gun. "Your father just wants you safe." Hershel says. "I can handle myself." Now that I can agree with, but then again I want him safe too.

Minutes pass until we hear gunshots and explosions. "Well I guess he's arrived." I say. Carl slowly starts walking toward the prison. I grip the sleeve of his arm. "Just stay, some stragglers might come." After a while, a silence hits the area. A silence that I can't determine if it's good or bad. Crunching footsteps and heavy breathing start approaching. A young boy runs into us. I suspect part of the Governors militia. Carl immediately aims his gun at him.

"I ain't gonna hurt no one." He even drops his gun. Carl is still refusing to drop the gun. Meanwhile, I keep my hand over my knife handle. "Carl, put it down." Hershel balances on his crutch. Carl pulls the trigger, sending a bullet right through him. Shock, then confusion consumes me. Hershel and I both exchange glances. Time skip back to the prison.

Rick gives Carl a talking about the whole incident earlier. He even confiscates his gun, which I'm not sure if I'm totally on board with. Peter runs up to me, squeezing my legs. "You ok?" I brush some of the hair out of his face. He nods. I crouch down as he jumps on my back. My knees almost buckle at the weight. "What've you eaten?" We both laugh.

A yellow bus, like the one I used to ride to school, pulls into the area. "What's that?" Carl asks Rick. "Some of the residents from Woodbury. Women, men that didn't join the Governor and children." Carl kinda looks angry at the answer. "What?" I elbow him in the ribs. "I think it'll be fun to have more kids our age and for Peter. It's refreshing." Rick bobs his head. "She's got a good point." Carl scoffs, walking away. "Hey, why don't you great the kids. I'm sure it'll be more comforting for them." Rick asks.

I drop Peter, grabbing his hand, we head to the bus.  The yellow doors swing outward, people piling out. Women hold there children closely. The younger ones looking scared. "Hi, I'm Scarlet. We're really all happy to have you with us. The adults you can go visit Rick, the kids can stay with me." I try to sound as inviting as I can.

Some women hesitantly leave there children and some,I notice, don't seem to have parents. "So welcome to the prison. This is Peter." Peter is trying to conceal himself behind my legs. "Are we safe here?" A girl not much younger than me asks. "Yes, our groups gonna work hard to keep you all safe. But enough boring stuff, why don't we get to know each other?" I lead the pack to a patch of grass in an open area. We all sort of form a circle to face one another.

"Ok so you know I'm Scarlet and this is Peter, how about you?" I pull Peter into my lap. "Lizzie." The girl that isn't to much younger than me. "Mika, I'm Lizzie's sister." Mika is a little blonde girl with a soft voice. "Luke." A little boy, around Peter's age, with curly hair.  "Patrick." A boy maybe a year older than me with glasses. And finally Molly a little girl with brunette hair.

Parents start approaching us, taking there children to pack in their cells. I'm left with Patrick. I assume he doesn't have parent, though I don't feel like asking. "Peter, go play with Luke." I suggest. He hugs me, prancing off. I look up smiling at Patrick, he's already met my gaze. "My parents were killed if you were wondering." I'm guessing he read my mind. "Oh, I'm sorry. I actually know how it feels." He adjusts the frames of his glasses. "Hey, but don't worry your hear now." I stand up and he follows.

"How old are you, may I ask?" The question sounds kinda awkward coming out. "13. But I'm pretty sure 14 real soon. You?" Keeping track of the months hadn't been exactly easy. "I believe I just turned 15, but who knows." He kinda laughs. "Actually I could be ten for all I know." I'm trying to make the conversation as happy as I can. "No, you don't look it. 14 is about right." His blush is noticeable.

I pull my hair out of the braid, relieved at letting the wind blow through. "That's different. Your hair...it's pretty. Different." He's trying to make it sound as least awkward as possible. "Thanks. Oh, you know what? We should get you settled." I say. "I'd like that."