Chapter Five "Denial"

The next three days went exactly the same: in the morning it would be a struggle to wake up but when I did mother sat at the table and  started sewing a new dress, father asked for Ray's whereabouts and I shrugged and got ready.

Lately I've been skipping breakfast to avoid awkward conversations asking about Ray or my "friends." I stopped hanging out with them because of how insensitive they are to the situation. I guess I have been in denial too, I denied that Ray was in any real trouble. Maybe he got sick of the same thing all the time and left.

It is almost sickly how easy life continued for everyone else without him. I lost any real hope in him returning but still wished he did.

In the afternoon I would head into town to walk around for a bit until I eventually would visit, whom I consider to be my real friends, in the tree house. They knew about Ray because of me telling them and the news on the radio and in the paper.

They were the ones who were actually apologetic and worried along with me. I was thankful for someone who actually did care, and even if my friends disowned me for hanging out with these four boys, I didn't care.

The new normal was brought to an end when Mrs. and Mr. Tessio visited our house with Vern and Billy. All the parents sat around the table in the evening time. Billy, Vern and I were in the living room and it was silent, I was listening to the parents conversation.

"I'm really sorry about Ray, it's so strange for him to leave like that," Mrs. Tessio said sincerely and I was happy to know that others in the town actually cared.

"I know it's so unlike him," my mother agreed and I knew it was unlike him. He had no reason to leave, he had quite a nice life here in Castle Rock.

"Well I am wishing the best for him, I just hope he isn't hurt or dea-" I covered my ears before Mr. Tessio could say the word I dreaded the most in a sentence with Ray.

"Connie, you can't doubt that it may happen, he might be d-"

"Stop," I cut off Billy, I wasn't ready to hear it.

I was always okay with Billy, when he wasn't with the other Cobras he was actually a decent person. I guess we were considered friends, I'm not actually sure.

"He's right Connie he may be."

"Would you stop it Vern, you son-of-a whore," Billy said and I cringed at the fouls language.

"I'm sorry, well I didn't know tha-"

"What do you mean you didn't know she sai-"

"Guys stop," I said and they stopped arguing. It didn't take a brainiac to know that Vern and Billy did not get along at all.

"Connie, can you come with me later I have to talk to you," Billy asked and I nodded slightly.

Vern huffed in annoyance "aren't you coming to the tree house?"

"I might, Vern I'm always there," I said and he nodded still annoyed. He almost opened his mouth again until Billy glared at him.

After the parents talked for a little while longer Mr. and Mrs. Tessio came into the living room. "Ok, are you ready to go," Mr. Tessio asked and they nodded.

I hugged each member of the family and we shared short goodbyes. "I'll be back in like ten minutes to pick you up, be ready," Billy said as he left.

My parents resumed their normal tasks and I put on my shoes. "Moomoo, pop, I'm going out," I said and they just nodded. They have been acting strange lately, but I'm not sure if that's just me or not.

Within fifteen minutes Billy pulled up outside my house with a car that I was sure wasn't his. I sighed and slipped into the passengers seat while we gave brief hellos.

"Where are we going," I asked curiously, but my voice still had a nervous tone existent in it.

"You, my friend, are about to experience the best night of your life," his voice had and edge to it and I wasn't sure what he meant. But when we pulled up and I saw the rest of The Cobras I knew it was nothing but trouble.

I decided not to overthink the situation and to just go along with it. So when I got out of the car and Ace said "well if it isn't miss Constance Brower," I didn't so much as bat an eye.

I nodded signaling my hello and Ace smirked "Hey Charlie, let's try not to flirt with her too much this time, ok?" Ace said jokingly and all the guys either laughed or oohed, I laughed too.

"What are we doing?" I asked as everyone started to go into cars, Billy turned around and smirked, "egging houses," he said and turned around.

On the inside I was screaming, but on the outside just nodded and got into Ace's car. "So Ace where are we heading first?" Eyeball asked from the passengers seat.

"Well I figured we could egg that one teacher who flunked me this marking quarter," he said and the guys cheered. I kind of liked the care free feeling of doing whatever you wanted, if anyone on The View saw me now they'd hate me so terribly.

But for once I didn't care, I didn't care about anything because as Billy said, tonight will be the best night ever.

We pulled up to this nice looking house and all the lights were off, thankfully. The guys grabbed eggs from the carton while I observed from the car.

"One, two, three," they threw their eggs at the house laughing hysterically.

"Come on Connie throw some!" I jumped out of the car grabbing an egg. At this point all the guys stopped to watch me. I chucked the egg and it hit the window and all the guys cheered.

"Bullseye!"

"Nice one Connie,"

"Wooo!" The light from that same window turned on and we all froze. Within a second we all hopped back into the car laughing our butts off. We could all agree that, that was amazing.

The rest of the night went like that, throwing eggs at people who "did us wrong."

We were driving some more until Ace finally said "ok, so Connie, who do you wanna egg," I thought about it for a second.

I mean I could egg Clair, she would never know. A grin widened on my face "Clair Pena," I said and the guys cheered.

"Yeah, what's her address."

In five minutes we pulled up to the large house and parked in front. We all grabbed the remainder of the eggs and chucked them, until her father ran out of the house shouting.

They just continued laughing and I did too until Clair walked out of the house. "What the hell Connie, after everything I've done for you," she shouted and all the guys went quiet.

"Yeah and you can do another thing for me too Clair. Kiss my ass, you bitch!" I shouted back and all the guys oohed as we quickly got into the car. Adrenaline ran through me and it felt good to finally get back at her.

"That was great, Connie," Billy said laughing and the rest nodded.

"I got to admit, kid, I didn't think you had it in you," Ace said truthfully and I laughed, I felt like I was on top of the world.