42

Sakura stared into the cold, dark eyes that she had once fallen in love with.

She drank in the sight of the square jawline, straight and slightly pointed nose, and the thin, red lips, that she had once fantasized over.

Her first love was there, standing only a few metres away. 

And Sakura truthfully couldn't care less.

Sakura wasn't happy, sad, excited, or anything in fact. She wasn't even surprised, since she could sense his chakra from a mile away.

Sakura yawned slightly, feeling sleepy.

Sasuke turned his attention to Naruto. "I'm assuming Kakashi's here as well."

"Nope." Sakura spoke in a cheerful manner. "But Yamato is here replace him."

"Yes," Yamato piped up. "And we're here to bring you back to Konoha."

"Team Kakashi." Sasuke mused. 

The clanging of a sword could heard, and Sakura glanced towards Sai, but said noting.

"So that guy is my replacement?" Sasuke glared at Sai. "I thought you already had a weakling on this team. This guy keeps going on about protecting the bond between Naruto and I."

"It's true." Sai agreed, gaining shocked looks from Naruto and Yamato. "My original mission was to assassinate Sasuke, but I'm done with following orders. Naruto, I believe you can help me get back the feelings I thought I lost years ago. Things that were once important to me." Sai turned to Sasuke, "I really don't know that much about you, Sasuke. But I do know that Naruto would risk his life to bring you back to the village. He is willing to risk just about anything for you. He doesn't want to lose his connection to you. He wants to protect those bonds. I still might not understand it that clearly, but you, Sasuke, must understand it!"

"You're right." Sasuke finally spoke up. "I did understand them. But thats why I severed them! You see, I have a different bond now. Between my older bother and I. It's the bond of hatred. Having to many ties wildly lead one astray, it weakens ones ambitions. It distracts you from what truly matters."

Sakura could feel the tension between Sasuke and Naruto begin to build up as Naruto grit his teeth.

"If that how you felt, Sasuke." Naruto seethed. "Then why didn't you kill me that day?!" He screamed. "Weren't you going to break our bond?"

"Its not that I couldn't break our bond, Naruto. I was simply doing as my bother had done before."

"What are you talking about?!" Naruto yelled angrily.

"I don't owe you any explanations. All I can tell you is that, on that day, when I left you lying there, I only speared your life on whim, nothing more." Sasuke jumped and landed right beside Naruto, His arm snaking around Naruto's shoulders, and leaned into his ear. "You know, wasn't it your dream to become Hokage? Don't you think, instead of spending your time chasing after me, wouldn't it have been better to train towards that, Naruto?" Sasuke paused. "And this time, my whim is telling me to finish what I started." Sasuke finished.

He pulled out his sword.

"How can I ever become Hokage if I can't even save one friend?"Naruto questioned weakly.

Sasuke brought the sword down and towards Naruto's neck. 

Sakura felt Sai bristle slightly, but had rushed forwards before he had the chance to help.

She caught Sasuke's arm, and glared at him. "You're pretty fast. I suppose I'll have to make these thing a little lighter." The chakra bands on Sakura's arms and legs glowed sightly, as she reduced the amount of chakra in them.

Ignoring her remark, Sasuke stared at her curiously. "That block you choose was the right one."