The Light Keeper's Daughter - Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Princess, what has your mind a hundred miles away?” Edward asked. He was in his linen apron cleaning the lamp lenses. The sun had just come up and Camila had been quiet ever since her arrival three hours before. She said she couldn’t sleep, but Edward knew she had something on her mind. He wasn’t one to press, he knew if she needed to talk she would.

“Not quite a hundred father, more like five.”

“Ah, young love. So he did ask you last night?”

“Yes sir.”

“And since you did not come back to the party telling us the good news, I am going to guess you are thinking about it.”

“You know me too well,” Camila’s teeth played with her bottom lip, a habit she had begun as a young child when she was nervous or thinking about something important.

“Yes, well, I knew you would not refuse him outright.” Edward sighed, “besides,” he chuckled, “you’ve been biting your lip for the last hour, so I knew something was on your mind.”

“Father, I love him, but not the way I should.”

“Maybe you are underestimating what you feel for him. Could it be true love?”

“How will I know?” This had been bothering Camila for the past few weeks, and then when he proposed last night, she felt like she was being rushed in her decision. How would she ever know if the love she had for Franklin was true love? She always imagined that when she kissed the man she loved, her insides would melt like candle wax and her outsides would burn with desire, just like all those penny novels told her. But when she kissed Franklin, it was like kissing her brother. Well at least what she imagined kissing a brother would feel like!

“You’ll know.” Edward walked passed her and put his hand on her shoulder before he continued to fill the oils containers for that night’s lighting, knowing he would need to be prepared in case of an emergency.

Camila walked outside to wipe down the exterior of the glass paned windows. She needed a mindless task to do, in hope of coming to a decision. If she married Franklin and never fell madly in love with him, not only would she hurt him in the end, but he may come to resent her for ruining his life. Not to mention that she might resent him and that was the last thing she wanted.

Outside on the catwalk, she turned to look down to the sea she loved so much. Life would be easier if she married Franklin. She would have everything a woman desired: a secure future with a wealthy husband; a husband who would spoil her and lavish expensive presents on her; social acceptance in the community; trips and vacations to locations she had only dreamed of visiting. But was true love something that could be bought? Something to throw away on a secure future?

Turning back to the lighthouse, her last task complete, her father escorted her back to the house. They both had been up most of the night tending the light, and Edward would sleep during the day. Camila, who normally kept it secret that she was in the lighthouse, would only get a couple of hours before her mother would send Bonnie in to wake her. But, this morning with her mind weighing heavily on Franklin’s proposal, sleep was the last thing on her mind.

“Father, I am going to take a stroll on the shore.” The sun had only been above the horizon for an hour or so, she knew after the party last night, her mother would still be sleeping.

“Be careful. And don’t stay out there too late, you need to rest too.”

“I promise Father.” Facing her father, Camila leaned forward and placed a kiss on his cheek. “I love you,” she whispered as she pulled away.

“And I love you princess.” With that Edward turned to go into the house, he turned back and said, “Advice from an old man, just follow your heart.”

Camila smiled at him and then turned heading down the wooden steps to the shore below.

******

Camila’s mind was still miles away, she needed to clear it. She had a month to make her decision, but she had been fighting with this decision since she was sixteen and Franklin was going off to school. When he returned for his first holiday break, he confessed that he loved her. It was the first time he had uttered the words, but it had not been the last. When he returned from college a year ago, he asked her father’s permission to court her, she knew this would eventually come, she had just hoped that her heart would love Franklin back the same way. Yet it didn’t.

Climbing a group of rocks that were on one side of the shore, just before the cliffs, Camila looked out to the ocean. “God, please help me make the best decision. Guide my heart and my footsteps.” A cargo ship was sailing by. Looking at the markings she knew immediately it was one of the Jacobson ships. Was it a sign? Was God trying to tell her to marry Franklin by showing her a ship from his father’s fleet? Or was it just happenstance that one of the Jacobson ships passed by and she was reading too much into it.

Suddenly, Camila heard a moan, it sounded like a baby sea lion was hurt. She looked around, not wanting a confrontation with the hurt animal’s mother. But what she saw made her heart drop. A man was lying at the edge of the rocks, clinging to them as if his life depended on it. His head, shoulders and arms were on the rocks while the rest of his body was still in the water. With every lap of the waves on the rocks, his body would pound the surface and he would let out a soft moan. He was soaked to the bone and looked like he was knocking on Saint Peter’s door.

Camila quickly gathered her senses and scampered off the rocks to be at his side faster than she even thought was possible. With her navy woolen skirt now half in the water, no concern of her mother’s rage when she found out that her new kid shoes were now drenched, Camila turned the man over on his back into her arms and with the buoyancy of the water helping, pulled him to the sandy shore.

On her knees, cradling the unknown man’s head in her lap, she brushed aside the dark brown hair from his forehead and felt the large knot that was on the back of his skull. His eyes flickered open only a moment to reveal deep, dark brown eyes. His face was chiseled with a strong jaw line and a dimple in his chin. He had not shaven in a day or two and Camila was drawn to touch his cheek and feel the bristles.

Camila shifted to put his head on the sand so she could rise and go for help. As she stood, he reached out and grabbed her hand with a force like nothing she had ever felt before. Turning back towards him Camila patted his hand and reassuringly whispered, “It’s okay, I’m going for help. I’ll be right back.” His hand dropped lifelessly to the ground and Camila rushed to the wooden stairs, and into the house yelling for her father to come.

******

What could have been moments, hours or days, Daniel was unaware of the time or place. He floated in and out of consciousness with vague memories and visions. The first thing he remembered was this dark hair angel dressed in white come to take him to heaven. It had to be an angel because her voice was so soothing and comforting that he would have gone anywhere with her. When she reached out and touched his face, he knew he had died and gone to heaven. Her touch was cool and loving, and all he could focus on was her dark chocolate eyes. He had always pictured angels with blonde hair and blue eyes, but he knew this angel could not be born of this world. She was special.

A dark fog took him over, covering his body with searing heat. For a time he thought the angel had left him and taken him to hell. Dark dreams of stampeding horses and men with guns played across his mind. The only thing telling him he was not in hell was the angel that would visit him and tell him he would be okay. She would float in and out of his mind, hold his hand and place a cool cloth to his brow.

Every time she would come close, Daniel tried to focus on her, cling to her presence in hopes of coming out of the dark abyss that held him. His arms felt like they were weighted down with chains and irons. He was unsure how long he lingered there, but for him it seemed like an eternity.

******

Camila was placing the cool cloth on the stranger’s head when his eyes fluttered open again. She did what she had done a hundred times in the last three days, spoke soothing words of comfort to him.

The doctor had come when they brought him into the house and said the had a concussion and he was not sure when he would wake up, if at all. The only thing they could do was to keep him comfortable. He also had a fever and chills from spending so much time in the water, Bonnie and Camila covered him in warm blankets, placed hot bricks at his feet, and a cool cloth to his head.

Camila had taken it upon herself to be his nurse, with Bonnie assisting her as needed. She had not left his bedside in three days, except for a few hours of sleep in her own bed when Bonnie forced her to rest.

After she placed the cool cloth on his head, she picked up her Bible and continued reading from Matthew, “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”

Without warning, his hand reached up and took Camila’s which was stroking some of his dark curly hair off his brow as she read aloud. He gripped her hand with a force stronger than he should have had after three days with the little nourishment Camila was able to slip in when he had asked for water. Camila tried to pull her hand away, but couldn’t. He brought it to his chest as his eyes began to flutter open.

******

Fighting his heavy eyelids and the pain that coursed through every part of his body, Daniel focused on the angel at this bedside. He held her hand like it was his lifeline to reality. She came into focus, her eyes twinkled with surprise and her rose colored lips parted slightly as she said, “Oh! Are you going to stay awake now?” Those beautiful lips turned up into a smile, “You’ve had us worried.”

Camila sat the Bible down with one hand, and since he still would not release her other hand, she reached for a glass of water sitting on the bedside table. “Would you like some water?” Daniel’s mouth felt so dry, he thought for a moment that a sand storm had blown through his mouth. He tried to speak, but couldn’t, so he just nodded his head.

The angel shifted to help hold his head up and bring the glass to his lips. Daniel allowed his body to rest back on the pillows after several sips of the refreshing fluid. He wanted more, but the angel with the brown eyes warned him that drinking too much too fast could hurt him.

Lying back, he took in his surroundings. A simple room with a bed, wardrobe, dresser with mirror and a basin to wash with. The wood walls were painted in a whitewash with a light brown wood floor. The room was on the upper level of a house with two dormer windows, one on each side of the bed.

“Where am I?” Daniel finally spoke, not liking the sound of his weak voice. He looked at the beautiful woman who must have been the angel in his visions. She had dark brown hair with a natural curl that made him want to reach up and take down her simple coiffure that was gathered at the nape of her neck and run his fingers through the soft curls.

“Manhassets Bay, New York, in the Light Keeper’s cottage.”

“How long have I been here?”

“Three days. We weren’t sure if you would ever wake up. I should really go tell Bonnie to bring you some broth and tea.”

“One more question, please. Who am I?” Daniel did not remember anything. His earliest memory was on the beach when this angel of mercy found him. Her name? What is her name?

Daniel did not realize that he asked that question out loud, “Well I am Camila and we were hoping that you could tell us who you are.” When he stared at her with a vacant look in his eyes, she asked, “You mean you really don’t know who you are?”

Shaking his head caused him some pain and dizziness, so Daniel closed his eyes and whispered, “No.”

“Don’t worry, the doctor did warn us that this might happen. Then again he thought you were knocking on death’s door. We will figure everything out once you gain your strength.” Camila stood and headed towards the door. “I need to let Bonnie know you are okay and to bring you some broth and tea. I will return shortly.”

A few moments later, Camila opened the door with a plump woman with gray hair and comfort in her eyes and a smile on her face she offered, “I see you have risen. Just like the Lord, it took you three days.”

“I guess so.” Daniel commented. He had so many questions going through his head, “How did I get here?”

“Well, you were on the rocks at the shore and I found you,” Camila began to tell him about her daring rescue of him, pulling him off the rocks and floating him to the shore and running to get help.

“Mr. Underwood and I brought you up here and put you in dry clothes and the doctor came to check on you.”

Daniel looked at Camila with kind, yet sad eyes and told her, “Please tell your husband thank you for his kindness and your hospitality.”

“My... husband?” Camila looked confused, “Oh, you mean my FATHER!”

Relief swarmed on Daniel’s face, he did not want to think of his angel anywhere but at his side, yet when he was told of Mr. Underwood, he felt dread that it was her husband. “I’m sorry, I just assumed.”

“My goodness!” Bonnie cried, “Camila’s not married yet, although Mr. Franklin would love to get her to the alter.”

“Bonnie!” Camila shot a look at Bonnie that startled the older woman. Never in her life had Camila looked at her with anger, even the tiniest bit, in her eyes. “I will take care of feeding our guest, I think I hear Mother calling you.”

Bonnie laughed going out the door and Daniel could have sworn he heard her say, “That would be kind of hard since she is with Mrs. Jacobson in town.”

******

Helping the stranger sit up in bed and placing several pillows behind his back, Camila then pulled her chair close to the bedside, Camila sat as close as she dared to the stranger. The tray was placed on the side table and Camila picked up the bowl with warm beef broth in her hand. She could tell it was warm, but not too hot to burn him from the warmth given off through the china bowl. “This will help you get some strength back.” She lifted the bowl to his lips and he drank in the broth without complaint. “Bonnie is a really good cook. Even her broth is wonderful.”

Daniel couldn’t argue with that. The herbs floated around in his mouth and started his tastes buds dancing to the swirl of the broth. It was the most amazing thing he had tasted since... well, he didn’t know since when. But it was delicious.

Leaning back onto his pillows, he looked at Camila and hoped to find answers to the many questions floating around in his mind. “Do you know what happened to me?”

Her eyes turned sad as she shook her head, “No. I found you on the rocks by the shore clinging to the rocks and to life. You were so weak and limp, we have no idea how long you were there. Father and Bonnie helped me bring you here and they cleaned you up, while I called for the doctor.”

“Did I say anything while I was unconscious? Anything that might tell me who I am?”

Shaking her head, Daniel noticed the curls that were wanting to come from her loose coiffure and tried not to smile. Camila looked away like she was thinking of any clues he might have given them, like tidbits of crumbs leading the way. Finally, after several minutes of silence, Camila said, “Nothing. You tossed and turned a lot and mumbled some, but nothing that could tell us anything.” Her eyes sparkled like she had finally remembered something, “What is the first thing you remember?”

A smile did come across Daniel’s face then, “I was on the beach and when I opened my eyes, there was this beautiful woman with the most amazing brown eyes. The sun was to her back and I could have sworn it was an angel with the glow from her halo.”

“You tease me sir.” Camila smiled. She might not know his name, or where he came from, but she knew one thing for certain, this gentleman was a flirt. It wasn’t like Camila wasn’t use to gentlemen flirting with her, although it was always in jest because everyone assumed that Franklin and she would be married one day. It was only the two of them that knew his feelings for her were not matched with her feelings for him.

“Well, only a little. Yet, it’s true. I did not know it at the time, but your face is the first thing I recall.” A smile swept across Daniel’s face and Camila noticed for the first time the dark brown color of his eyes had tiny gold flakes that captivated her.

“Hmm, and nothing before that?” Camila wrinkled her brow trying, wishing to think of a way to help him recall his memory.

“No.”

“Well, rest is probably the best thing for you.” Camila said as she rose to leave the room, with his now empty broth bowl in hand.

Daniel smiled, “According to you, that is what I have been doing for the past three days. I would like to enjoy more of your company.” Yes, Camila decided, a flirt to the core. She wondered if he was like this before his accident or only since waking up in her presence.

Turning back to look at him over her shoulder, “Sir, you need to recoup your strength, and as much as you flatter me, I still think you need to rest.”

Clasping his hands to his chest, Daniel fained pain and hurt. “Wound me.”

Reaching the open door, Camila laughed, “You may not know who you are, but I don’t think anyone or anything can wound that ego of yours.” As she closed the door behind her she was certain she heard him laugh.

******

Intrigued. That one word described how Camila felt after her mystery man woke up. She was fascinated with their easy camaraderie and friendship. More than anything, she wanted to stay and talk, or more importantly laugh with him. Yet, she knew he needed to rest. That would not stop her curiosity of the stranger sleeping upstairs.

Heading outside to the bluff, Camila went to the place that cleared her mind the best. Relaxing for the first time in three days, she allowed the salt air and breeze to carry away the stress in her muscles that had built up while taking care of the paradox in the attic.

At that moment, she knew she needed to either figure out his name or make a game of it with him. Maybe she could help him come up with a few that would fit his personality. Don Juan, Casinova, Cyrano all came to mind and brought a smile to Camila’s face. Yes, this might be entertaining.

******

It took every ounce of strength he had, but he could not lay idle in bed one moment longer. He thought his weak body might give out and collapse at any moment. Standing at the window of the attic, Daniel leaned his shoulder on the wall bracing himself as he looked out towards the ocean. What brought him here? Why can’t he remember anything before seeing Camila on the beach? And why was he drawn to the woman who just left him?

Movement below caught his eye and he watched as Camila walked towards the bluff. Standing at the edge of the cliff, Daniel observed as she looked out to sea and brought her wrap around her shoulders, surely fighting some of the chill that the coastal winds often brought. Slowly she descended down the stairs to the shore below. He lost her for a moment as she reached the bottom steps, then she reappeared and headed out towards the water’s edge.

He felt like a voyeur, watching her so intently, yet he could not remove his gaze from her direction. He could no longer make out the distinct aspects of her face, only the blur of her appearance. She bent down to pick up something from the shore and placed it in the pocket of her cotton burgundy dress that trailed behind her in the stiff sea breeze. Not wearing a hat, the wind whipped around her face and he watched as the tendrils of her hair came loose from her coiffure and stood out in the heavy drafts. What he would give right now to take her hair down and run his fingers through her loose curls.

Yearning to be close to her, he found his clothes in the wardrobe and attempted to get dressed, but suddenly felt very weak. He sat down on the side of the bed when he heard a knock at the door. Laying his clothes aside, he knew he would not be leaving this room today. He laid back in bed and adjusted the quilts back over his body before offering a weak, “Come in.”

“I heard you were awake and just wanted to check on you,” Edward said. Daniel was taken by the kind eyes that looked very much like his daughters. The man standing in front of him looked very distinguished with a beard and what Daniel imagined was once brown hair now turning a soft gray.

“Yes sir, thank you for your hospitality.”

“Bonnie told me you don’t remember anything.” Edward walked to the window and looked out. A smile crossed his face and Daniel knew he had seen Camila on the shore. There was much love and admiration in the gentleman’s eyes for his daughter and Daniel knew that she was loved and cherished by this man. It made his heart swell with esteem for Camila at that moment and no matter what he did or didn’t know of his past, present and future, he knew he wanted to know Camila better.

“That is correct sir,” Daniel noticed the smile, and he couldn’t help but wonder if it was the same thing he was smiling about just a few moments ago as he stood at the window looking down to the shore. The gentleman’s next words confirmed that it was.

“She’s very special. She did not leave your side while you were unconscious.”

“Really?”

“My wife couldn’t even order her to,” Edward chuckled, “Bonnie was a little more convincing and would relieve her for a couple of hours to get some sleep of her own. Bonnie had to promise not to leave you while Camila slept.”

“I’m honored to have such a lovely nurse take care of me while I was sick.”

A smirk crossed Edward’s face, “Don’t be. She has taken care of every stray that has come within a mile of this house. We’ve had dogs, cats and even a few birds that she has nursed until she found them a new home. It’s in her nature.”

“Well, I’m still humbled at her attention.”

Nothing was said for a few moments, the room grew quiet and both gentlemen were lost in thought. Edward cleared his throat, “I’m going to miss her.”

Daniel looked shocked and raised his brow, “Miss her? Is Camila going away?”

Edward knew he probably shouldn’t say anything to this stranger, but he also knew after seeing the clothes on the bed and the way the stranger talked about Camila, that he needed to let him know she was spoken for. “No. Her beau has asked for her hand. She has not given him an answer yet, and he is not pressuring her. They have been together for so long, everyone has been waiting for the announcement.” Edward shrugged, “and with his parents leaving soon for Europe, they have expressed that they would like to know before sailing. That is where my wife has been today, the Jacobson’s are close friends. Annabella and Suzanna are surely already planning the wedding and parties that will come in the days and months ahead.”

Daniel had nothing to say, but his mind was swirling with questions like the sea caught in a cave, spinning around and around with new thoughts crashing every few moments. He could not blame someone for marrying Camila. Not only did she have a beauty that was heaven sent, but from their brief conversations, Daniel had found her charming, energetic, enticing, and witty. If he was looking for a wife, Camila would do nicely. Yet, he wasn’t looking for a wife. He didn’t know if he had a wife, or even a love back home waiting for him. He didn’t even know where home was. For some reason he was being drawn to Camila and knew without meeting him, the man courting her was not her future. Unfortunately, Daniel had nothing, not even a name to one day offer this woman who had rescued, nursed and after only a few moments captivated him.

Edward’s words brought him from the turmoil in his mind. Thoughts of his lost identity and the woman he could never have. “If you are feeling up to it, you are invited to dinner. It will only be the family, unless Annabella has returned inviting Franklin, but he has a lot to get ready for between now and when his parents leave.”

“Thank you sir,” Daniel didn’t even notice when the door closed, the next thing he knew he was alone again. Alone with the storm cloud of questions in his mind.