The Light Keeper's Daughter - Chapter 12

Chapter 12

The night was dark. Darker than if there was no moon at all. The clouds overhead covered every star, and the moon from shedding any light down on the dark water below. A light fog was starting to settle on the water.

It had been a busy two days since Daniel met with his father. After sharing the plan that he and Franklin came up with, David, Daniel’s father, gave a few suggestions. The first one was in order to keep his son safe. Mr. Underwood needed to be informed. Not only for Daniel’s safety, but for Camila and Franklin’s as well.

Not wanting to waste any valuable time, Daniel returned to the lighthouse and sought out Mr. Underwood and Camila. He didn’t think it would be fair to have the conversation without Camila knowing about it. She was worried that her father would put his foot down and not let her participate.

After listening to the news about the cargo drop, they returned to the caves to move the opium to a different cave, Edward Underwood fumed as he listened. Camila had always skirted the rules of proper society. But as far as he knew, she had never put herself in danger before.

He sat by, not so patiently, and listened to the plans for the next night, he tried to breathe, if not for the oxygen, but to stop his heart from thumping in his chest, throat and ears.

Then finally, in a voice etched with more concern and harsher than Camila had ever heard before he said, “Under no circumstances, Camila,” he looked at her with squinted eyes, so much so that she slouched down in her chair and backed as far away from him and his pointing finger, “is not allowed in or near the caves from this point forward until this mess is settled. As a matter of fact, I don’t want you down on that part of the beach either. It would just be too tempting to you. Do you understand me young lady?”

Nodding Camila remained silent wishing that they had kept the truth from her father, at least for a couple more days. She sat up and almost startled when she heard Daniel say, “That is not a problem sir.” Not a problem? She was a part of this team. She knew the boys would want to run off and have all the fun! She crossed her arms over her chest and glared at Daniel.

“I also think that the police should be informed. I understand your reluctance, but I think they need to be informed.”

“After tomorrow night. We want to find out what they know, get information. How many more shipments are coming in before they move the drugs? See if we can get them to name names.”

And now he and Franklin were perched behind a couple of large rocks in the cave feet away from the crates that once held opium and now contained rocks and clumps of horse droppings. They had met at the lighthouse with Mr. Underwood and Mr. Jacobson, who was also informed of the situation. Daniel did not like that there were so many people in the ring of knowledge. Normally he kept people out of his plans. He had found that the more people that knew what was happening, the more often you had someone slip and information would seep out. Whether on purpose or not.

Right now Camila was sitting on the catwalk watching for the ship and documenting everything she could. Mr. Underwood was hidden on the bluff above the cave to see if he can gain any information about the drop on that end of things. Mr. Jacobson was at the dock, waiting on the ship to come in. No crew member would be allowed off the boat tonight. Not until they had more information and he had a short list of names who were on this boat that might be involved. When Franklin talked to him, he showed him the five crew members that had been on one of the many boats that lost boxes that claimed to have coffee in the last year. Franklin had also found that it was only happening on two boats. So, until Franklin returned safely tonight, no one would leave the boat, and then those crewmen and the top commanders would stay aboard until more questions were answered.

It might be hours or minutes spent in the quiet dark cave, and Daniel could not help his mind going back to sitting on the catwalk after talking to Mr. Underwood. He wasn’t happy about the situation, but he was glad that Daniel came to him before the evening surveillance took place. And when he finally made his way outside to be with Camila she wasn’t happy either.

She wouldn’t even look over at him. They sat in silence for a few minutes, watching the stars twinkle off the waves of the ocean. It could have been minutes, but to Daniel it seemed like a lifetime waiting for her to say something. Anything. He could take her anger if she would just yell, scream or rant. But the silence was unbearable! Finally he took her hand and began rubbing his thumb over the back. Taking it as encouragement that she did not pull her hand away he said, “Please Cammie, just say something.” Look at me glare at me. Just don’t close yourself off.

They had become great friends, and if he was honest with himself, he was falling in love with her every day. From the way she refused to wear a bonnet to the fact that she loved the lighthouse. Her brown hair, with streaks of lighter browns to almost blonde, coming through, to the deep brown of her eyes with the hints of gold. He loved the way she stood up for what was right, even when everyone told her that she was wrong. Okay, that mostly came from the fact that she told Franklin no when everyone thought that she should marry him to have a secure life.

In a soft voice, almost a whisper Camila finally spoke, “I just thought we agreed to do everything together. Now you boys are going to have all the fun, and I’m going to be stuck in the lighthouse.”

“Well, first of all, the lighthouse can not be left alone during the night and you know that. So, someone would need to stay here.”

“I know but...” Camila could not finish her complaint because Daniel reached over and put a single finger to her lips stopping her thoughts.

“Secondly, I... we care about you and worry about you being in the thick of things if something dangerous was to happen. Franklin, your father and I will be going into the situation armed as I am sure the men visiting the caves will be. Do you know what it would do to us if anything happened to you? We would blame ourselves for all eternity. So, no buts about it. You are staying here.” Daniel removed his finger from her lips, after it slowly caressed her bottom lip, “Promise me.”

Camila nodded her head.

“And I agree with your father about not coming into the caves until this is over. The men we are dealing with are dangerous and we don’t know when they will come with others to remove the drugs.” It would be best for them if they came during low tide with a wagon or two. And they probably needed to start watching the cave more closely until that happened.

“I understand. But, this is another one of those times when I wish I had been born a boy!.” She longed to operate the lighthouse, but that could not happen because she was not a man and Daniel knew that.

A slow easy smile crossed Daniel’s lips and he said, “I can think of a couple of reasons I am personally glad you are a woman.”

“What? Because I would really like to know. I mean having to wear a bonnet and wear a blasted dress...” Camila’s complaint was stopped when Daniel’s lips touched hers. When she gasped with surprise her mouth opened and his tongue caressed hers and began a dance as old as time.

Daniel’s hand reached up and his fingers sunk into her wild mane of brown curls that were contained in a braid at the nape of her neck. He pulled her close and deepened the kiss. Although she had never been kissed like this before, Camila did not recoil or become offended by his advances. And this made Daniel simply desire more. More of the kiss. More of Camila. Then he realized that she was kissing him back.

When they separated a few moments later neither spoke. Clearing his throat, Daniel finally said in a voice that betrayed his emotions, “Wow!”

“Oh my! I never knew a kiss could... oh my!”

What he did not tell her was that when his memory came back he remembered every intimate moment of his life. He had kissed many women for various reasons. Desire, passion, undercover situations to not be seen or to be accepted into a role. But never in his life had he shared a kiss that struck the core of his soul like this kiss with Camila.

“Um. I guess I should tell you that I did remember something else. And, I confirmed it with my father,” looking at her he raised an eyebrow, “and I should tell you that he laughed at me.”

Camila took Daniel’s hand and squeezed in excitement of his returned memory. “What did you remember?”

“Um. I’m not married and as far as father knows, I’m not in a serious relationship.”

“Really?” Camila tried to hide the excitement that statement caused her, but she couldn’t hide her happiness.

“Really.” Daniel brought Camila’s hand up to his lips and kissed her palm. “As a matter of fact, Dad said that it is something he and Mother longed for.”

Unable to speak, Camila just nodded her head once then looked out to the ocean.

“What I feel with you is real for me Cammie. I’ve never felt this for anyone else.”

Quietly, if he had not been listening he would not have heard it over the crashing waves below, Camila whispered, “Me either.” And Daniel’s heart smiled.

“I don’t know what is going to happen over the next few days or weeks. And I don’t know what is going to happen after all of this is settled. But, I just wanted you to know that I... I love you.”

“Daniel,” Camila looked at him with tears brimming in her eyes unwilling to fall. At first he thought that maybe he had said the wrong thing. “Oh Daniel, I love you too!” Then she threw her arms around him and he embraced her. They sat there for a long time just watching the ocean in each others arms. Silent. Allowing their hearts and souls to speak to each other.

******

“What are your smiling about?” Franklin asked crouched down feet away. It was dark in the cave, but their eyes had adjusted long ago and they could easily see each other.

Daniel didn’t answer. “How much longer do you think?”

Franklin looked at his watch and said, “Should be soon. It’s after midnight.”

They sat in silence for a few more minutes then Franklin asked the question that had been eating his heart away moment by moment, “Do you love her?”

Daniel knew Franklin loved Camila. He knew about their past, and he wondered how Franklin would handle the fact that yes Daniel did love Camila. And more amazing, Camila found it in her heart to love him. He knew he couldn’t keep this from Franklin and he simply nodded. “Yes. I love her.”

“I mean really love her? Or are you playing with a young girl’s emotions?”

“I love her. I’ve never felt this way about anyone before.”

Franklin looked away and said in a disgusted tone, “Tell me about it. I’ve loved her since we were kids.”

Daniel didn’t gloat or tell him that Camila loved him too. He just sat there quietly and prayed that everything would work out. The stakeout, the questioning, the bust and then that he and Camila could find a happiness somewhere between the city and the lighthouse.

******

Sitting on the catwalk, Camila looked out towards the sea. She was not happy to be so removed from the action, but she did understand their protectiveness. Father’s especially. But then Daniel was adamant too. She knew she was experiencing feelings for him that she had never had before, and when he kissed her, she felt every nerve in her body come to life. Her lips tingled for hours after the kiss. And this morning when she slept, or tried to sleep, all she could think about was that kiss.

It wasn’t the first time that Camila had been kissed. She and Franklin first kissed when they were kids. Then again when he came home from college and they began courting. Yet this kiss did not feel anything like the little pecks and awkward kisses she and Franklin shared.

From the time Daniel’s lips touched Camila’s there was a heat, desire and burning deep in her soul. His lips were softer than she imagined and his tongue reached out and caressed her bottom lip. Then when her tongue matched his, she desired more than the kiss, she desired Daniel.

Then his words bathed over her... “I love you,” he had said. Those three little words meant more to her than anything else because she had realized that she too loved him.

“Lord, please help us get through this. Guide our steps,” Camila prayed silently.

She knew Daniel and Franklin were hidden in the cave, as they had been for the past hour. Her father was on top of the bluff, also hidden away from sight with his long range scope in hand. She had the one Daniel and she used the other night when they first spotted the ship dropping cargo. Everything was ready. Including Mr. Jacobson waiting at the dock for the boat to come in.

She saw the boat out at sea turning toward the lighthouse and then the dock. She watched it approach, knowing this was the boat they were all waiting for. She stood up in front of the light, her signal to her father that the drop was about to happen. He would see her silhouette in the light, but no one else would think anything about it. Keeping her safe.

Then she sat back down and began documenting the drop. Six crates tonight made it’s way into the salty sea water. Bobbing up and down as the ship passed and waiting for the small row boat to retrieve them before they sank to the bottom of the ocean.

The little boat came along just as the ship sailed out of sight. Six crates floating and then picked up, and heading towards the cave and Franklin and Daniel. Her father would wait and stay on the bluff until he knew Daniel and Franklin were out of harms way. For that, Camila was grateful. But it didn’t stop her from worrying for the men that she loved and cared for. So, she sent up a silent prayer for their safe return.