The Light Keeper's Daughter - Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The next few days seemed to fly by. Camila and Daniel spent time together at the lighthouse and on the bluffs, but their favorite spot was walking the sandy beach. They would talk and laugh and he learned about her, while she tried to help him learn about himself and his history. A few memories had resurfaced. Mostly involving his mother. How she played sad songs on the piano and lit up with joy every time he entered the room. How she was constantly trying to set him up with some friend’s daughter. That memory made him laugh and then he realized that with that memory he was not, nor had he ever been in love before. If he wasn’t sure until that memory surfaced, he now knew after spending days in Camila’s presence that he was falling in love with her.

The memory of his mother’s last moments was a nightmare that occurred every night as he closed his eyes. So, many nights he would find himself climbing the lighthouse and spending hours with Mr. Underwood and then Camila when she would arrive a few hours later. He enjoyed the solitude of the lighthouse and especially enjoyed his time with Camila and Mr. Underwood, who had become a confidant and advisor to him.

Daniel and Camila had been walking on the beach one afternoon when suddenly there was a high pitched whistle. Camila immediately smiled and looked towards the bluff. “Franklin’s here. That’s his call for me when I am on the beach.” She pointed towards the steps and Daniel saw a gentleman coming down the stairs and then remove his shoes and walking along the beach in their direction. Daniel didn’t think he was a jealous man, but after seeing her reaction to Franklin’s arrival, he felt very possessive of Camila and didn’t want her anywhere near Franklin.

So this was the infamous Franklin Jacobson.

He was an attractive looking fellow, Daniel guessed. He had short blond hair and was lean and muscular, but he stood about three inches shorter than Daniel. His eyes were the color of the ocean, but right now they looked like stormy waters instead of the crystal blue Camila had described.

“Darling! Your mother told me I would find you out here.” Franklin leaned in and placed a kiss on Camila’s cheek and Daniel noticed how she did not pull away. Franklin took her hand in his and then turned to Daniel. “So, I hear my Cammie’s been taking good care of you.”

“Yes,” Daniel inclined his head towards Camila, “Cammie’s been wonderful.”

What is going on? Daniel felt like he should be making this Franklin green with envy, but right now it was he who felt all the pangs of jealousy. He was having a wonderful time with Camila before this dandy popped up!

“Franklin, this is Daniel. Daniel, this is Franklin Jacobson.”

“Nice to finally meet you,” Daniel said and tried not to sound too gruff as he spoke.

“You too old chap! I didn’t quite catch your last name, what was it again?”

“Well,” Camila said looking at Daniel and then back at Franklin, “we don’t quite know.”

A knowing grin touched Franklin’s mouth, “Ah yes! The memory loss. How is that coming along for you?”

Daniel nodded, “Very good. At least now I know my first name.” A wicked smile curled Daniel’s lips. He reached over and took Camila’s hand and brought it to his lips, gently kissing her knuckles. He looked into her deep brown eyes and did his best to make Franklin green with envy, “And Cammie dear has been very attentive and instrumental in my recovery.” He brushed another kiss on her knuckles, “I really don’t know what I would have done without her.”

The only problem, as he spoke the words he lost himself in her gaze, he forgot Franklin was standing there. He noticed that Camila didn’t look away from him until Franklin, the scoundrel, cleared his throat reminding them that he was standing there.

“Ah yes, well my Cammie has always been one to take in hurt strays and mend them before she sends them on their way.” Daniel was sure that Franklin was trying to stake his claim on Camila’s affections. This was confirmed when the blackguard took Camila’s other hand and tucked it into the crook of his arm and gently, without her noticing edged her slightly away from Daniel. Daniel noticed of course.

As they continued walking the shore, Daniel bent down and picked up a unique seashell, he stood and dusted the sand off the pink and orange casing and placed it in Camila’s hand wrapping her fingers around it and his fingers around hers. Hating the empty feel of his hand when he finally released it.

“Cammie, I thought you were going to come and visit the docks this week?” Daniel knew with the comfortable way they were together that although Camila did not love Franklin romantically, she was indeed very close to him.

“I was, but...” her voice trailed off as she gazed towards the horizon and Daniel who was walking on her other side, closest to the shore.

“I’m sorry old chap, we were both going to come to town, but my memory flashed and she thought it best if I stayed here.” Daniel reached over and took her other hand and tucked it, much like Franklin had done on the other side of her, into the crook of his arm. “Although I told her she didn’t need to stay behind, she refused and has not left my side.” Daniel patted her hand that rested gently on his arm. She gave him a quizzical look, he could tell she was trying to figure out what he was up to.

Daniel could not help but notice the cute blush that started on Camila’s neck rise to her cheeks. He had come to realize over the past week since he woke up in the attic room that she was beautiful, alluring and charming. And along with the memory of his mother’s death, and the knowledge that he was not married. He also had no skill or trade that he recalled of and no job or income that would allow him to fall in love with this woman he found himself entranced with.

The gentleman on her other arm however, could offer her the world on a silver platter. Watching them together, Daniel realized that he had nothing to give her and Franklin, the lucky duck, had everything including a history and a love that did show in Franklin’s eyes.

In order to get everything he wanted, Daniel knew he must learn about his past, no matter how hard and painful it was. It took him days after the memory of his mother to come to terms that it was no accident. And the same danger that killed her, was quite possibly what tossed him over the boat, either on his own or with help from some unknown assailant.

He couldn’t deny the feelings that were growing for Camila and he was pretty sure she was starting to have feelings for him as well. He needed to think. He needed to get a handle on his feelings and make plans to figure out what he needed to do to move forward.

Daniel had been living on the kindness of the Underwood’s for over a week now and he felt as if he needed to give something back to them. Mr. Underwood was due in the lighthouse soon, and Daniel had an idea. It may not be his old life, but it was a start. And he was coming to believe that Camila was worth starting over for.

“Franklin old chum, I need to have a word with Mr. Underwood. Can I trust you to escort our lovely Cammie back to the house?”

“Of course. A few moments alone with my dearest... lady would be wonderful.” Franklin had a glint in his eye, one that Daniel did not like one bit. Yet, in order for his life to move forward, he needed to have a serious conversation with Mr. Underwood.

******

As soon as he was on the stairs and out of listening distance Franklin began his questioning. He turned Camila towards him and held both of her hands in his, “Darling, what is going on?”

“We are strolling on the beach Franklin. Like we have done a thousand times before.” Camila looked at him like he had lost his mind. Maybe he had. The interloper had come along and Camila was looking at this stranger like some love sick pup and he had never seen her gaze at him like she regarded this Daniel fellow.

“That is not what I mean and you know it.” Franklin dropped her hands and stalked three steps and abruptly turned around to face her again. “You have no idea who this man is. He could be dangerous and not only is he in your home, under your roof, he is also playing with affections he should not have towards you.”

“Franklin. I have never led him on. He is a nice gentleman who can’t remember anything. What if this happened to you? I would hope there would be someone willing to help you in your time of need.” Camila sighed. Franklin saw all the emotion drain out of her. He knew this was difficult for her, but he also needed to protect her from this rogue who could remember a wife and family any day, leaving Camila behind.

“Love, I am just saying that you don’t know anything about him. Is he married? Is he running from the law? Is he a danger to those that harbor him?” Franklin approached her again and placed his hands on her shoulders, sighing he asked, “and what about us? What have you decided? I’ve given you space to think, but mother and father are leaving soon and I really would like to let them know soon.”

Camila lowered her head and shook it back and forth slowly. “I have not decided. I’m sorry and you are so kind and loving to wait for my answer. You must understand that this is hard for me.”

“All you have to say is, ‘yes’ dear one and I will take care of you forever.” And there is nothing any rogue could do to get in our way, Franklin added in his mind.

Camila reached up and put a hand on his cheek, “I know Franklin, and that would be easy. But I don’t think it would be right. I do love you. Like a brother and a friend,” Franklin felt his heart drop. He placed his finger on her lips, then putting a hand on each of her cheeks, and leaned his forehead to touch hers. “Don’t say it. I will wait as long as it takes. A month. A year. Five years.”

He watched as a tear streamed down Camila’s face and mingled in his fingers. Automatically his thumb wiped it away. “I love you and that is enough for me.” Franklin sighed.

“If I could make myself fall in love with someone, it would be you. I would say yes in a heartbeat and become your wife. But, I don’t love you that way. You are my dearest friend and I could not have us resent each other in a loveless marriage.”

“I could never resent you. And it wouldn’t be loveless!” Franklin dropped his hands and stepped away. He knew he was yelling and didn’t want to turn this into an argument. “I love you and you do love me, you just can’t see it. Especially now that you are looking at this... this...” Franklin waved his hand towards the lighthouse. “this intruder the way you look at him.”

The shock registered on Camila’s face a moment before she reached out and slapped Franklin across his face. Seeing his hurt expression she cried, “Oh! Franklin, I am so sorry!” Camila reached up and caressed Franklin’s cheek where her handprint still stung.

“No.” Franklin uttered coldly, taking her hand away from his face and held them between his hands, “I’m sorry. I love you and I have loved you for a long time and this person walks in here and wins your heart in a few days.”

“I don’t know that I love him. You’re right. I don’t know anything about him. And for your information, I have not given him liberties like you seem to think.”

A hurt grin came to Franklin’s face, “You don’t know that you love him? But you might?” Camila’s silence said it all. “And so, where do I stand? Where do we stand?”

“You are my dearest friend. The same friend you were a week ago, two weeks ago, two years ago. I don’t want to lose you. I don’t know why I am attracted to Daniel, but I can’t deny it.” Camila sank to the sandy ground and looked out to the crashing waves. Daniel sat down beside her, she looked at him with tears brimming in her eyes, “I do love you, believe it or not. But, I can’t make any decision until I find out more about Daniel and his past.” A tear that had been clinging to her lashes fell from Camila’s eye, Franklin pulled her into his arms and held her.

“I do love you,” he whispered into her ear, “and I don’t want you to question that. I’ll do whatever I can to help the scoundrel.” Franklin pulled away and tilted Camila’s face up to meet his, “and if he is married in the end with three children, I will be here for you to cry on my shoulder.” He grinned when she smiled and then he placed a kiss on the tip of her nose. “And if he’s not, and in the end he wins your heart, I may need your shoulder to cry on. But we will always be best friends. You’re my Cammie!”

******

Daniel climbed to the top of the lighthouse. It was about four o’clock in the afternoon and he knew he would find Mr. Underwood preparing for the night ahead. Sure enough, in the Service Room Mr. Underwood sat getting the wicks that would be used in the next few days trimmed and ready. Daniel pulled up a chair to the table and began helping him braid the lengths of twine and cotton. “Sir. I would like to speak to you about something.” Without saying a word, Edward nodded his consent. “Well, you know I don’t remember anything except for my christian name. I don’t have a trade, or a home, and I feel that something drew me here. I would like to talk to you about becoming your apprentice. I know that these duties are passed on to sons, and Camila would make a fine light keeper, if it was allowed for a woman. In the short time that I have been here, I have fallen in love,” Edward looked up for the first time and then looked back down resuming his work, “with the lighthouse. Would you be willing sir? Instead of a son, passing your trade on to me?”

“Does Camila know? How you feel?” Edward asked without looking up.

“No sir. I have not talked to her about it. I wanted to discuss it with you first.”

“I see.” Taking a deep breath he continued, “What happens when your memory returns?”

“I don’t know sir. I also don’t know if it will return. I can’t sit by and do nothing. I feel better, I feel stronger and if nothing else, helping out will make me feel useful around here.”

“Well, why don’t we give it a try. You can start tonight.”