If We All Could Be So

By: jedusaur
Pete/Mikey
AU
PG
2k words

"Did you just put rainbow sprinkles on a mocha?" asks Patrick incredulously.

"Yup," says Pete. "It's a crucial step in my seduction plot. Step two is being amazing at history. Step three, blowjobs."

*
"You are the sexiest motherfucker who has ever bought a cup of coffee from this fine establishment," Pete tells Mikey solemnly.

"White chocolate mocha," Mikey says. "Real white chocolate, not syrup. I know you squirrel away the good stuff back there."

"I squirrel it away for you, dear heart," Pete assures him, reaching down for the bag of white chocolate shavings. Mikey sticks his thumbs in his pockets, rocking forward onto his turned-in toes as he waits for Pete to make his drink. It's the cutest thing Pete has seen since the last time he saw Mikey doing something cute, which was of course the last time he saw Mikey. Pete lets out an epic lovelorn sigh, gazing wistfully over the coffee cart at his soulmate.

His soulmate taps his foot impatiently. "C'mon, dude, I've got class in three minutes."

Nine AM on Mondays, thinks Pete. Last semester he had Mikey's schedule memorized, but he's still got some research to do before he figures out the new one. "So," he says brightly as he froths the milk, "what are you taking this semester?"

Pete is surreptitious like a declawed ninja kitten. No one will ever find him out.

Mikey makes a face. "Nothing interesting, just getting my gen ed requirements out of the way. Calculus, bio, comp, and American history."

Pete almost drops the chocolate shavings. "Ooh, which American history? I've got Gibbs, Tuesday-Thursday at ten."

"No shit? Me too." Mikey almost smiles at him. Not quite, but almost.

Pete tops off the mocha with a shake of rainbow sprinkles and hands it to Mikey, grinning widely. "Awesome, I'll see you tomorrow then."

Mikey takes a long sip before saying, "You'll see me sooner than that if you're still working in an hour. Your little den of sin is on my way to the life sciences building. I am powerless to resist." He lifts a hand in halfhearted farewell and departs, sucking down coffee like a kid with a Slurpee.

Pete draws a mental map of the campus, triangulating using the location of the life sciences building and the direction in which Mikey is headed. The nine AM class must be comp, then, and bio at ten. He files away the partially completed schedule in his head and turns his smile on the next student in line.

***

The next morning, he leaves for class early and stops by the cart beforehand. Patrick has a line ten people long, and shoots Pete a glare when he ducks in to whip together a mocha. Pete ignores it. As a work-study peon employed by the cafeteria overlords, he is entitled to one free beverage per work shift, and he didn't have one yesterday.

"Did you just put rainbow sprinkles on a mocha?" asks Patrick incredulously.

"Yup," says Pete. "It's a crucial step in my seduction plot. Step two is being amazing at history. Step three, blowjobs."

Patrick opens his mouth like he wants to say something else, but the blonde chick currently waiting for a latte starts drumming her fingers on the edge of the cart, and he turns his attention back to making coffee.

"That is unconscionably rude," Pete, who is not on the clock, informs the girl. He heads off to class, ignoring her glare.

When he walks into the classroom, Mikey is already there, chin settled deeply in his hands. The second the coffee passes through the doorway, his head floats upward and vaguely Peteward, led by his nose. Pete strolls over to the seat next to him and sets the cup on Mikey's tablet desk.