Chapter 1: And the Day Inevitable Happened

January 5, 1760

In hindsight, I should not have answered the door, maybe pretended I was not home. I probably would not have been in this mess, because honestly, anyone willing to be out in this weather is suspicious. Standing right outside my door, barely two feet from me, is Shay Patrick Cormac, ex-Assassin now Templar, and Charles bloody Lee, the bastard that is seriously a snake in disguise. "Shite," was about the only dignified word I could get out in the current situation.

Lee, the git, looked mildly shocked by both my language and my accent, "You're Irish."

"Somebody give Mister Lee here a medal; my name is Norah Driscoll for Christ sake, of course I'm bloody Irish, you plonker. I may have lived here in the Colonies since I was a wee lass, but I still have the Irish blood running through my veins. I did not take you as Irish hating considering you are allied with one, you know, the man standing right next to you," despite how much I was panicking about their presence, I had a serious hatred for anyone who insulted my heritage, and although his comment was not supposed to be an insult, I was happy for another reason to hate the man.

"You seem to know a lot about us lass," I tried very hard not to roll my eyes at Shay's comment, is that not why they were here, but I suppose he was stopping Lee from undoubtedly pulling his sword on me.

"I was under the impression you were here because I knew a lot about you and your stupid war with the Assassins," I swear, if they were here for another reason and I just gave myself away, I am going to kill myself now.

"Aye, that we are, it came as quite the surprise when we discovered that some map making woman here in New York had been snooping on us for the past however many years. We have been sent by Master Kenway to find out exactly how much you know and what you plan on doing with that information."

So realistically this could go either way for me, if they decide I know too much, I might just end up food for the wolves, but if I can convince them I am really only curious, they might let me live. However, I am not stupid enough to think they will just leave me be; I may keep my life, but not necessarily my freedom. Weighing my options, I realise telling the truth is most likely the best course of action. "Well gentlemen, I will not go telling you fibs, as I know that is not a smart move; I will be straight with you by saying I probably know too much for your order to be comfortable with, especially for someone outside of it," I pause momentarily to ensure they are not going to draw their swords and cut me down where I stand. "However, I would like to point out that I am not a threat to you or your order. My research and ever-growing knowledge of you Templars merely stems from curiosity."

I am not entirely sure how much they believe me about my simple curiosity as Lee, in fact, looks disbelieving and Shay simply looks like he could use more details. It was Lee who asked for clarification however, "And what, pray tell, makes you so curious?"

I suppose now was a better time than any to be completely blunt, "There were two events that made me curious, both of which involve one of you each," I did not give either of them time to interject before continuing. "The first time was in 1752 when I happened to witness you Mister Cormac and your old friend Mister Liam O'Brien save a bunch of smugglers from the Royal Navy. The second event, the event that solidified my curiosity, was in 1754 when I stumbled upon yourself Mister Lee and your Grand Master looking for the Native woman. I heard the words 'assassin' and 'templar' thrown around multiple times during both events. So, I started my research, and let us just say, when you have as much access to the frontier and the cities as I do, it is not hard to learn things."

I probably doomed myself with that last statement, but I figure I would look more innocent by being so honest with them. I have reached the stage where if I lived, I would be a very happy woman. Both men looked pensive, and I could not figure out what my fate may be simply by looking at their expressions. It felt like hours before Shay finally spoke up, "Perhaps you should come with us lass, we can find out what the Grand Master wants to do with you there."