Chapter 7: The Fall

March 18, 1778

On March 8, I received word from Haytham saying that they had successfully killed Benjamin and retrieved the stolen Continental supplies the day before off the coast of . Although I was slightly sad that my children had lost another uncle, my joy far outweighed that sadness; the man had been a traitor to the Order and his country, not to mention he had kidnapped me. That last part was the reason Shay had a very happy look on his face when we read the letter. However, this left Haytham and Charles the only remaining Templars for the main Colonial branch, if you did not count Shay who was now only Templar by status and loyalty; he no longer had a mission to complete. That being said, we were also losing Templars outside the main branch; in fact, we just received a letter stating that Nicholas Biddle's ship, the Randolph, had been sunk by the Aquila only yesterday. Another Templar gone and although I had only ever met Nicholas on a few occasions; it still hurt to know he was also dead.

Connor was slowly but surely taking out the Templars, working his way to the top. Who would be his next target? Shay? Would he go for Charles next? Or would he go for his father? Each one pained me to think about; the man I loved, the man I saw as an older brother or the man, although I hated, was also a close friend. With all three of them getting on years; how much of a fight would any of them put up against a strong twenty-two year old? Considering the truce, though unstable, that Haytham had with Connor; I had hoped no more of us would die after Benjamin. Haytham, in fact, looked rather annoyed by Nicholas' death, but pissed off? No, not really. I worried what would become of the order, now that it had so few members; so few loyal members at that. I suppose we will have to wait and see how far this truce between father and son would last; if it even will. With the amount of inevitable things that have happened in my life; I suppose I should have anticipated what happened next.

June 17, 1778

Yesterday, Connor and Haytham had brought three Redcoats into the Fort and interrogated them; I was not around for that part, so I have no idea what made Connor look so upset, nor what caused their haste to reach George Washington. Despite how they were still working together; there was something that had me worried. Is it just me, or was there something incredibly shaky about what remained of their truce. I had a terrible feeling that whatever happens at Valley Forge may just break this fractured truce. It seems I would get my answers as Haytham comes barging through the doors; and despite my worry over his expression, I was still incredibly annoyed by how often those doors are banged open. "Seriously, is there just something about those doors that make you men want to barge through them at all times? At this rate, I am going to have to hire a woodworker to bloody fix them."

As like every other time I bring that up; Haytham looks entirely unamused. "Fine, what happened? Considering you are here and not having bonding time with your son; I assume something happened with Connor."

I see him flinch discretely at the mention of Connor's name and this only proves me right, "When we were at Valley Forge, I found a letter that Washington had received from his troops; he had ordered an attack on Connor's village. So I shared it with him and I chose that opportunity to have Connor realise that it was Washington that was responsible for his mother's death all those years ago," he sighs with what I can only describe as disdain. "Unfortunately, the only thing he got out of that was that I knew that his mother was dead; in the end he was angry with us both and warned us that if we were to follow him, he would kill us."

So the truce was ended, but something about his words made me realise something, "Haytham Kenway, did you at some point pretend to not know about Ziio's death to your son? Is that why he was so angry with you?"

He looks away from my eyes, and that is all I need as confirmation, "I cannot believe you; you finally have a chance to reconcile with your son, after being enemies for so many years, and you lie to him. About his mother's death no less. You know how much her death hurt him and you go and do this? I am ashamed of you; it is no wonder the truce was so shaky. There were cracks from the very start and it would only take one hit, just like this one, to finally shatter it to pieces."