Chapter 8: Over

September 23, 1781

In the days while we waited for Haytham to wake up, Connor introduced us to the other residents of the Homestead. I can honestly say; I had never met a nicer group of people. Aedan and Briana were fascinated by little baby Hunter; I had to remind them that they too were once that small. I found myself talking to Ellen and Prudence more often than not; getting advice from Ellen about raising teenagers, and in turn, we were both giving advice to Prudence about raising children. I was happy to see Shay getting along with the men; Connor included. I could tell from looking at him, that despite how many years he had been gone; this place was still familiar to him and it still felt like home.

Seeing that always reminds me of the day after we arrived here; when we finally questioned Achilles' absence. As it turned out, barely two weeks before our arrival; he had passed away silently in his room. I could see that Shay was pained by this; although there had been so much animosity between them, in the end, Shay had looked up to the Mentor he knew. It also hurt to know, that he never said goodbye; so the same day found us at Achilles' grave, saying our silent goodbyes. I knew Shay was also asking for forgiveness for everything that had happened.

Doctor White was hopeful that Haytham would wake up soon, and hence, today found me at his bedside. He looks a lot better than he did when we first arrived here and this made me thankful; he should be waking soon. However, being as injured as he had been and as unconscious as long as he had; his age was showing more now than ever. His grey hair more prominent and not to mention the wrinkles to his face gave it all away. I just hope that he will take up my suggestion; that we all retire from the life we had been living and settle into a peaceful life before we passed from this world.

It is at this moment that I see a twitch to his face and a slight movement from his hands. "Haytham? Are you waking up now?"

He slowly opens his eyes and tries to take in his surroundings, "N-Norah?"

"Aye, it is me. You gave me a right scare having Charles take me away like that."

He looks confused, he did not recognise where he was and not to mention, I do not think he expected to survive his encounter with Connor. "I'm alive? How can that be?"

I give him a gentle look; I can understand how confused he must be, "Aye, you are alive Haytham. Your son spared your life."

This seemed to surprise him; he clearly was not anticipating Connor sparing him, "What? But I felt the blow, I felt myself die. Wait, where are we?"

I knew that question would come eventually, "We are at the Davenport Homestead; Connor managed to bring you here to a Doctor he trusted. Shay and I did not know of you still being alive until two days after the attack when Connor sent me a letter. We came here immediately and have been waiting for you to wake up for a few days."

He let my words soak in before asking his next question, "How long have I been asleep?"

"About a week; he spared your life, but Connor gave you a good beating regardless. Probably why you thought you had died; in fact, Connor himself thought the same until he noticed you still breathe. It came crashing down on him that the man lying practically dead in front of him was his own father; when he noticed you were still alive, he did everything he could to see you get here in one piece so that Doctor White could help you," when Connor had told us this, I could see how much it truly scared him to think he may have killed his own father.

I do not think Haytham knew quite what to say to that and simply said, "I see."

It was not long before something else occurred to him, "Where is Charles?"