Chapter 8

Alexis's POV

     I reached for the front door handle, but I quickly yanked my hand back as someone from the other side opened it.
     My heart literally skipped a beat as the door swung open. 
     "Oh my god," I sighed as I clutched my hand to my chest. "You scared the crap out of me!"
     "Sorry," Stiles chuckled. "You were taking a while, so I wanted to make sure you were okay." He closed the door and started looking around. "Pretty nice place," he mumbled. "Anyway, we should probably go." He reached for the door handle, but it started to turn.
     "Not again," I groaned. One heart attack per day was enough for me, thank you very much.
     Unfortunately for me, another teenage boy didn't open the door; instead it was my father. I whimpered in fear and immediately grabbed Stiles's hand. I took a step behind him and stared up at my father.
     "Alexis, who's this?" My dad asked.
     "I'm Stiles, Alex's friend. I was wondering if she could stay at my house for a few days to work on a school project, if that's okay with you," Stiles lied smoothly.
     "Of course!" My dad smiled.
     "Great, thank you!" Stiles smiled back. He tugged on my hand and led me out of my house. After he closed the front door, he stopped to look at me. "Are you okay?" He asked as he bent down. He put his hand against my cheek. "You look kinda pale."
     "Yeah, I'm fine," I lied with a small, unconvincing smile. Thankfully, Stiles didn't say a word about it and drove me back to his house.
     My heart was still pounding from fear, but I didn't want Stiles to know that, so I quietly hummed along to the radio.
     "So," I said trying redirect my thoughts, "How long am I going to be staying at your house?"
     "A few days at least. The full moon is on Tuesday, so at least until Wednesday," Stiles told me. I smiled a little. I got a few days completely free of my dad. This hasn't happened in, well, ever. "Oh, and Scott is coming over later, if that's okay with you," Stiles informed me.
     "Okay," I whispered. All of a sudden, I started to tear up. Why was he being so nice to me? I mean, he was never obligated to make me feel safe and make sure I'm okay, but he did it anyway. It had been a long time since someone actually cared about me that wasn't Isaac. 
     I felt a tear escape from my eye and took down my cheek, so I quickly wiped it away and looked away from Stiles. Too late.
     "Hey, are you alright?" He asked. He sounded genuinely concerned.
     "Yeah," I assured him. "I'm fine."
     "Then why are you crying?" He glanced over at me, then focused his eyes back in the road. Should I tell him the truth? I decided against it because he might see me as a freak if I pour my heart out to him.
     "Sorry, I'm just a little overwhelmed," I said. I looked up to slow the tears.
     "Well, if there's anything I can do, just say so, okay?" Stiles asked.
     "Okay," I agreed with a small smile.

     Stiles pulled into the driveway, and we both got out and went inside.
     "Hey, Stiles!" I heard a voice yell from a different room.
     "Hey, Scott!" Stiles yelled back.
     "I'll be in my room," I told Stiles. He nodded, and we both headed off in different directions.
     The second I got to my room, I closed my door and started to unpack. I nearly set everything up and put everything away. Once I was done, I just shoved the empty bag under the bed. All of a sudden I heard a knock at my door.
     "Yeah?" I asked.
     "Hey, Alex, it's Scott. Can Stiles and I come in? We have some stuff we need to talk to you about," Scott asked.

AUTHOR'S NOTE- Hey guys! Sorry this chapter is so short, but I'll try to update again sometime this week to make up for it!! Thanks for reading!!!