Chapter XIV: Enemies of the Heir, Beware

I am so, so very sorry about the long wait. Hope you'll like the chapter!
***************

"Did you hear that?" Harry asked Ron. His best friend turned to look at him with a questioning look.

"Hear what?"

"That voice. The cold, deadly voice. Didn't you hear it?" Harry repeated, getting more and more worried by the second. Ron looked at him weirdly as of trying to figure out if Harry was pulling his leg or something.

"I don't know what you're talking 'bout mate. I hear nothing. You alright?" He inquired.

Why couldn't Ron hear that voice? Maybe he was hearing things? "Yeah I'm fine. Just forget about it." Harry muttered, not wanting to continue on that particular subject. Luckily for Harry, Ron dropped the topic and he was grateful that he was currently with Ron and not Hermione. His inquisitive best friend would have pressed on for more details.

The two of them walked back to the common room in silence after which they went to their respective beds, Ron, who was too tired to talk and Harry,who had a lot on his mind.

Over the next few days, Harry had found himself busy with his school lessons and quidditch practice. Wood worked the team harder than ever, his eyes set on the Cup which they just had to win that year. Before he knew it, nearly a month had passed.

One more thing that had been disturbing Harry for the past few days was that creepy, cold voice. He hadn't heard it since detention that day but it kept ringing in his head. He just didn't know what to make of it.

***********

Sirius inclined his head toward the left where his godson was asleep in his room. It was nearly time for breakfast by now so he  pushed himself off the sofa and went into Harry's room to wake him up. He walked in to find Harry breathing peacefully, his body burrowed underneath the covers. As he watched the boy's chest rise and fall periodically, he found it hard to believe that Harry was twelve.

Truth be told, he didn't look any more than nine years old. It hadn't skipped his notice that his kid was nearly a head shorter than his classmates. He mentally vowed to make sure that no further harm came to his charge. He had always thought of Harry as his own son and would continue to do so.

He sat down next to Harry, his back against the headboard and ran a hand through the untameable locks. Harry smiled slightly in his sleep and leaned towards his godfather. "Wake up sleepyhead." He commanded softly as he pulled the covers from Harry, giving him a small shake. "You have classes to attend and I have classes to teach, kiddo."

Harry felt long fingers gently running through his hair. It was comforting and something that he loved. He didn't have to open his eyes to see who it was but nonetheless, he opened his eyes sleepily and gazed up at his godfather.

The boy rolled over and rested his head on Sirius' lap, turning to his side and getting comfortable. Sirius let him sleep like that for ten more minutes before he reached forward and playfully tugged on Harry's ear. "You know Harry, if you don't get up quickly, it's highly probable that you'll miss breakfast." It was finally the rumbling stomach that got Harry out of bed.

He sat up slowly smiling at Sirius. "Good morning." He yawned widely.

"Up and out of bed pup." His godfather ordered once more and kissed the scarred forehead before getting up and opening the curtains in Harry's room.

About twenty minutes later, Harry walked out of his room, bright eyed. "Eat and drink up," Sirius instructed as he handed Harry his daily nutrient potions and his vitamins. He reluctantly popped the pills into his mouth and downed the potions, making a face.