Chapter XXV: The Return

Sirius took another sip of firewhiskey from the snifter before setting it down on the table.

The talk with Harry had caused several memories to resurface. But, unexpectedly, he didn't feel as bad as he had thought he would. Harry was one of the few people who actually understood what he had gone through. Unlike others, he hadn't responded with the usual 'I'm sorry'. Instead, he'd just listened quietly and for that Sirius was thankful.

He glanced at the photograph he'd pulled out from the bottom of his school trunk. It was a picture of him and Regulus. His little brother had only been six years old back then. Both the boys in the picture looked so happy and carefree like nothing could ever go wrong. He watched as his eight-year-old self chased the other boy around before finally catching him and wrapping him in an embrace. When Reg had joined the death eaters, no one knew about it other than Sirius, his parents and a few others. So, as far as the entire world was concerned, Regulus was somewhere, living his life.

"Master Sirius Black sir?" He looked up and saw Dobby.

"Should Dobby refill your glass sir?" The elf pointed to his empty snifter. Sirius shook his head and stood up.

"No thank you Dobby. That won't be necessary. I'll head upstairs to bed now." He replied. The elf nodded and disappeared with a crack.

Sirius firmly told himself that there was no use in thinking over the past. Regulus was gone and so was James. He couldn't bring them back but what he could do was not mope about it.

********

The next day, Harry woke up earlier than usual. His mind was still processing everything Sirius had told him. It was still six thirty and he knew that his dad was still asleep. He heard Ron still snoring peacefully and so he decided to let him sleep. He crept into his father's room to find him under the covers.

He tiptoed inside carefully so as to not wake him up. His last few attacks had failed, but this time, he was determined to succeed. He was just about to pounce when a voice stopped him. "Don't even think about it." Sirius turned around and smirked at him. Harry groaned and then threw himself on the bed. He had failed again.

"How do you always know?" He asked, tired of unsuccessful attempts.

"I've told you this several times before and I'll tell you again: it's a secret." Rolling his eyes, Harry lay down over the blanket. "Since Ron's going back home today, you've got nothing to do. So, are you up for a little picnic one of these days?"

"Picnic?" Harry enquired, excitement colouring his words.

"Mmhm. There's this nice little picnic spot about an hour or so away from here. It's even got a small lake surrounded by trees and picnic tables. It's for both muggle as well as magical folk."

"It sounds really fun." Harry replied.

"It is. Regulus and I used to go there when were kids. Just the two of us. It was a whole lot of fun. Later, when I started going to Hogwarts, during the summer, James, Remus and myself would go there often. I used to catch one of them off guard and shove them into the pool."

Harry laughed at that. He could imagine his father doing something like that. Sirius was one of those adults who were like the definition of cool. "You better watch out. I might just push you in as well." Harry's smile abruptly faded at that. He and swimming just didn't go together. He had always had a bad experience with water in general.

Whenever his muggle relatives would go outside, they left him behind. The few times they would take him along, was an utter nightmare for Harry. Dudley would always kick Harry into the water whenever he got the chance. Since he didn't know how to swim, he would thrash violently to try and stay afloat. The whole time, his uncle would laugh at his helplessness. Every time he tried to get out, he was shoved underwater. Soon, he was terrified of the mere thought of swimming.