Chapter 2 Surprise

I paced the floor of my room at the orphanage. My phone was sitting on the bed and I kept glancing at it every few seconds. Mrs. Rockwell had let me stay home from school, even though I was positive Jessica wasn't going to make it.

My side of the room was an absolute pigsty. I had already packed a few of my belongings. I had been found out, before yesterday I had no clue that my teacher was in key with the Society, now I'd been found out. They probably have men searching for me right now.

I looked at Jessica's side of the room. It was spotless, and her bed was tidy, with her books neatly stacked on her shelf which was perfectly aligned with her animal posters. I felt my eyes beginning to tear up as I realized what everything on her side meant, I knew her too well. She had always told me that she loves books because they take you on adventures in far away lands where anything can happen. Her posters were mainly pictures of horses, then one of a cat and a dog sitting together. She had always told me that she's been dying to at least see a horse, because she had never seen one. I had saved up some money and bought her tickets for a horse show last year for her birthday and I have never seen her happier. I sighed and flopped back on my bed beside my phone.

Why? Why didn't I warn her the bike was comi- An alarm with a jingling tune broke into my thoughts. I grabbed it and looked at it and immediately answered it.

"Hello?"

"B-Brooklyn Amoris?"

"This is she."

"I woke up in a coffin, luckily it was still open-" I froze.

"Jessica?! Jessica Heartman, is that you?!"

"Yes it is Brook-worm calm down! You have no reason to freak out."

"How are you still alive? I thought you were dead!" I sighed.

"Don't get too excited." She said dryly. "Anyway, I woke up in what I suppose is a coffin besides a church. I got out and somewhat crawled to the woods nearby..... I'm scared.. I finally got enough bars to call you." My eyes widened.

"The the church down by the park where we get dropped off from school..?"

"Yes. What if they find me?"

"Do you have your black jacket on still?"

"Yes."

"Wrap yourself in it and try to blend in with the shadows. What part are you in?"

"I didn't get too far, my legs and arms hurt. I'm behind that huge oak tree."

"Ok. Hang up and Don't talk till I come get you." The girl on the other line chuckled.

"For someone who has nothing to hide, you sure know a lot about it. See you soon." I chuckled nervously at her joke. I wished I had nothing to hide... but if anybody realises she's expired... We will both have a ton more to conceal.

I get up and grab my back-pack. I drop my phone, two water bottles, and a few snacks into it and zip it shut. I open the door and walk through and lock it behind me, and skip the key into the pocket of my jeans. I run out to the front desk to check out and try to slip past without getting noticed.

"Where on earth are you going? Are you going to visit Jessica?" I turned to see Mrs. Rockwell's sweet, concerned face. I bite my lip and nod. She sighs and gets out a piece of paper. It is the list of all the kids' at the orphanage's expiration dates. "I'm afraid she didn't make it dear, I'm sorry. Yesterday was her expiration date and I'm afraid it's not possible to live past it." Panic swelled up in my throat.

"It is!" I stared at her and she returned my stare. Either she's going to think something is up, or I'm just being irrational... She frowned and walked over and wrapped her arm around me and patted my shoulder.

"I'm sorry Brooklyn, I really am..." I blink at her apologetically for what I'm about to do. She sighs and starts nudging me back towards my room. I slap her hand away and bolt out of the front door. "Hey! Get back here young lady!" She barked.

I ran, my backpack was pressing against my back, almost making me lose my balance and fall. I kept pressing forward, until the daunting figure of the church showed up at the far end of the horizon. Why is my backpack so heavy?... I remembered that I had packed clothes in here because I had been found out. That's great, because both Jessica and I need to find a new place to live.

She's severely injured, it's pointless helping her. She will only slow you down. You have had three strikes already, young Amoris.

Like what?

To start, you ran away from us. Then you joined the human civilization. Then you got caught. Look where that got you? Now you are on the run again with nothing left.

That's not true, I have Jessica!

Four strikes then.

What?

You're helping an expired.