01| Obliviate

A/N: Thanks for clicking on this story! I really hope you enjoy it. :)

It was unfortunate that Hermione, having spent five and a half years at the side of the Boy Who Lived, had become very accustomed to waking up in the hospital wing. 

But this, she realised as she groggily opened her eyes, was the first time she had woken up with no idea how she'd got there.

"Hermione," came a familiar voice from beside her. Her heart twinged with the memories still vivid in her brain, a pretty blonde girl stealing the limelight. At least Ron was here in the hospital with her.

She propped herself up with one arm, wincing. What in Merlin's name had happened? She was in pain, her whole body felt like it was filled with lead, but looking at Ron brought a smile to her lips as if he was a blast of fresh air in the stuffy white room. His hair was dangling messily over his green eyes, almost begging Hermione to brush it away. 

"Hi," she answered, croakily. 

Although she was trying to remember how she'd ended up battered and bruised in the hospital wing, nothing came to mind. She recalled Potions that morning. But was it that morning? It could have been any number of days ago. How long had she been out? Had there been a fight? Was Harry alright?

"Bloody hell. I thought you weren't gonna wake up," Ron gushed. "I got you the assignment for Transfiguration, by the way. You missed it," he said quickly, his noisy manner worsening Hermione's headache. She didn't mind, however. A headache from Ron was the best kind.

Merlin, she was in too deep. She needed to stop being so ridiculously girly and pull herself together so she could remember how she'd got here. There were more important things than boys that needed her attendance. Turning her mind away from Ron's eyes, she tried once again, to think.

Still, she was coming up with nothing.

"What happened?" She asked groggily, hoping Ron would have a few more details. But he didn't look too sure, and shrug of his shoulders confirmed her lack of hope. 

"We don't know. You disappeared and didn't say where you went, and several hours later we wondered if a book had killed you, or something, but then McGonagall told us you were in here. That was last night," he said sheepishly. 

Hermione did a double take. From the clock on the wall, she could see it was about four in the afternoon. Merlin. How many classes had she missed? Frightening visions ploughed her mind, filling her thoughts with essays she'd have to rewrite and notes she'd have to go over. And why couldn't she remember? Maybe Madam Pomfrey would have some more answers. Hermione prayed there was a simple answer to all this, and that a quick flick of her wand would restore her to normal. 

"I mean, you've been going off on your own a lot lately, but this was for ages. Me and Harry were just worried," Ron was saying. "Because, well, you know..." He tailed off, realising she was no longer paying attention to anything but the thoughts in her own head.

Hermione frowned. Had she gone to the library last night? Probably. She couldn't place it, but she must have done. And why was Ron being so friendly? Something unsettling stirred in her stomach as she digested his latest words, a frown set deep into her forehead, the harsh lights of the hospital hurting her tired eyes.

"What do you mean, I've been going off on my own?" She asked, confused. Unless they meant the library, he'd lost her.

"Never mind. You need to rest. If you want the rest of my notes from this morning, I'll give them to you," Ron told her, although she doubted his notes would be much use considering his writing was barely legible. His hand sympathetically reached down to move her hair out of her face, but this soft, gentle touch only confused her more. Where was Lavender?