07| Keep Your Friends Close, But Your Enemies Closer

A/N: hey guys! just wanted to thank you all for your votes and reads! It means a lot<3 and don't forget to check out my other HP fanfic if you like my writing!

Also, because this is just a bit of fun I may have made a few mistakes on the timeline of events in the Half-Blood Prince, so I apologise but I'm not about to read through the entirety of Pottermore for every little detail, I just want to write my book. I hope you guys understand <3

Hermione spent the entire evening pondering on Malfoy's accusations. Ron and Harry knew something was off, especially at dinner in the Great Hall when she barely spoke to them.

"Come on, Hermione, what's up?" Harry asked after she'd been unusually quiet, even when the discussion was about the upcoming exams, which was, on a normal day, her favourite topic of conversation.

She shook her head, not wanting to tell them she had gone and sought out Malfoy instead of listening to what they had to say. Ron shovelled some pasta into his mouth while staring intently into Hermione's eyes. For a second she wondered why, even with tomato sauce around his mouth, she still found him attractive.

"I'm fine," she smiled at Ron, looking into his green eyes from across the table. "Just tired from all the work."

Ron nodded and went back to his food. Harry, however, wasn't so easily convinced. "Were you with Malfoy again?" He asked, getting directly to the point. The look in his eye suggested that this was not the first time they'd done this, not the first time Harry'd asked her that question. Ron even stopped eating to look at her, making her blush profusely. Harry was suspicious now, and after knowing him for years she had no doubt that he wouldn't drop it until he got the truth.

"Alright, I was," she sighed. "I thought I could get some more information out of him, that's all," she protested in response to the pair of dumbfounded expressions that gaped at her from the other side of the table.

"Hermione!" Ron quipped, putting down his fork at long last. "Come on, you know he's full of shit!"

Hermione rolled her eyes, huffing at his disgust. Even though Malfoy was full of it, but she had reason enough to go and talk to him, and of course Ron couldn't grasp that concept.

"So, what did you talk about?" Harry asked, a little gentler than Ron had.

Hermione shrugged. "He gave me this very long-winded story about how I got extremely drunk, so much that him and Zabini rescued me," she said curtly. "I simply didn't believe a word."

She expected their reactions to be something of horror, or worse, she almost expected them to remember the event and start giving them their side of the story, but thankfully their response was neither of these options. Ron sniggered into his plate. "Merlin. Lucky that's not true. He's just stirring up trouble," he grinned, and even Hermione chuckled a little at the sheer outrageousness of it all. Harry just went silent, and continued eating his own meal as they collectively changed the subject.

After finishing up in the Great Hall, they headed back up to the Gryffindor common room to finish some work. Hermione had promised to help Harry with a Defence Against The Dark Arts essay on a topic she'd finally overtaken him at. Settling down in the familiar room, the pair set out their parchment and quills, bade goodnight to Ron, who said he was going up to the Owlery to write to his parents, and watched the fire light itself at the flick of Hermione's wand. The room was empty, save a couple of second-year girls in the other corner, and Hermione was just about to start helping with the essay when Harry spoke up about the subject she'd assumed they'd moved on from.