18| Back In Time

It was on days like this that she wished Potions class just didn't exist, and that she wouldn't have to be in the same room as Harry, Ron and Malfoy simultaneously. She was beginning to dislike the class, with Harry's constant use of the Half-Blood Prince book, Ron's complete lack of ability to at least try to grasp the concept they were learning, and the feel of Malfoy's stare boring into her whenever she wasn't looking. It was all-round uncomfortable, and Hermione was not used at all to feeling uncomfortable at school. 

This morning Ron was feeling extra affectionate, which again only left her feeling swamped. His arm constantly around her waist as if she needed a bodyguard was becoming more of a pain than a welcome gesture. And to make matters worse, now that she knew Malfoy was telling the truth, she couldn't help but glance at him. 

He was always looking back at her, but she was curious, that was all. Or amazed might be a better word, but curious all the same as to why she'd chosen him in the space of a few weeks over Ron, who she'd wanted for years. It was to make Ron jealous, of course- she was convinced of that- but Malfoy looked different to her now. She no longer hated him, and she had to admit he had a pull that seemed to be attracting her. All she seemed to want to do was shut Ron out and search for what it was that compelled her towards Malfoy, of all people. 

After the class, she made a quick excuse to Harry and Ron that she was going to see Malfoy to attempt once again to interrogate him. She caught him outside the door, much to the delight of Zabini, Crabbe and Goyle, who sniggered maliciously. Malfoy looked at her blankly. "Again, Granger?" He sneered, but his eyes had the same concern they contained before, as if he was only sneering because it was what they were accustomed to. Hermione knew the feeling. 

She knew exactly what she was going to tell Malfoy; that she once again felt sorry for him, and that she would help him with whatever she had been helping with before. Harry and Ron one story, Malfoy another. One was true and one was false, and she had no idea which. 

She led him down the dark dungeon corridor, away from prying eyes. "Look, Malfoy," she started, wondering how she would explain to him. His grey eyes were fixed on her intently, soaking up her words. "Now that I do believe you, properly, I wanted to apologise-" 

"About time," Malfoy interrupted, folding his arms. 

"Shut up," she huffed, her cheeks reddening which made her instantly wish they wouldn't. "I wanted to apologise, and to say that I do - you know, feel bad for you, and so..." She took a deep breath. "I'll help you. With whatever I was helping you with before." 

Malfoy was visibly surprised. Hopefully he wouldn't notice she was lying, and that she had a different motive, just like she told Harry and Ron. That was the truth, she reminded herself. He raised his eyebrows at her and finally averted his cold gaze, looking downwards, and then back up, before he finally spoke. 

"Sounded like that apology was a real struggle," he smirked. Hermione scoffed at him, rolling her eyes. Spending time with him was going to be the real struggle.

"I mean, thanks," he smiled. "I want you to. Trust me, you're way smarter than I am." 

Was that a genuine compliment, Hermione thought?

"But no. It didn't end well last time." Malfoy finished, although he looked disappointed to say it. 

"Homework, then," she answered quickly, although as soon as the offer left her lips she wondered why on Earth she'd said it. It was for Harry and Ron, she told herself rapidly. It was so she could find out if Malfoy was a Death Eater. "I can carry on tutoring you."

Malfoy fell silent, his mouth twitching to fall slightly open. Slowly he smiled at her, a warm, genuine smile for a small second, before he wiped his face clean of emotion once again to stare at her stonily. A group of Ravenclaws walked past them, chatting and laughing, and he fell silent, uncomfortably shifting his feet. At last, he spoke again.