Baby Shower

I hear a knock on the door as I finish spreading the last layer onto my seven layer dip. I would have to make this recipe more often.

Unopened the door and saw Lacey's cousin Margaret, who I had befriended at her birthday party. "Hi! Welcome," I said as I gave her a hug.

More people arrived. Before long, a small circle of friends that I had not had at the beginning of the summer.

"Let's do gifts first!" Penny, the girl from my work called out once everyone was there.

"Alright," I say. Immediately, a gift is shoved into my hand. I read the tag aloud. "To my new friend, Sally Jackson. From Hailey."

I open it up and find the four pairs of cutest socks. My favorite is immediately a blue pair with a white stripe. "Hailey! This is so great! I love it."

We proceed on with gifts. Penny got me a few cute outfits and Margaret got the baby a pacifier and a bunch of bibs.

Before long, the largest present is sitting in front of me. "From Lacey." I rip open the blue wrapping paper and see a big box. "It's perfect, Lacey!"

A mobile is in the box. Fish, whales, and other sea life will swim above my baby Perseus. I gave Lacey a huge hug, and we locked eyes. She knew exactly how perfect this gift was for this child's parentage.

"Let's go have cake!" Lacey says, clapping and getting up. She heads over to the table.

"What about lunch?" I asked, raising an  eyebrow at Lacey.

She waved off my comment with a hand wave. "Who cares? We're celebrating. We'll have lunch after."

I laughed and went over to the table. The cake was a beautiful baby blue, with edible small shoes on top. "Ahh," I say.

We cut the cake, and the inside is blue as well. Lacey went over the top with this party. I cut the cake for everyone despite Lacey's protests.

When we're all situated, I break up a few smaller conversations that are happening. "Ahem. I wanted to announce that Don and I have decided on a name. In fact, we decided a while ago."

Everyone hushed, staring at me. They waited for the big reveal tensely.

"His name is going to be Perseus, after Don's Greek roots, but we're going to call him... Percy."

"Aw. How cute!" Hailey exclaimed.

We spent the rest of the day talking and thinking about the future. If one thing is for certain, I knew that these girls would always be in my life.

///🌊
AHHH! Guess what? 1K reads! New cover for that accomplishment! Guess what else? There's only one chapter left after this😢! I hope you all have liked the story!