The Hidden One

I bustle around the kitchen. I went to the store yesterday to buy every ingredient to make this old recipe. Refried beans, two types of salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and black beans will hopefully make a seven layer dip just like my mother's for today's baby shower.

Lacey walks into the kitchen, looking sullen for it being the day she's been waiting for. "I need to tell you something, Sally."

"What?" I asked curiously, assuming that this is what has put her in such a distraught mood.

"I know." she said with such certainty that my mind immediately jumped to conclusions that I knew were impossible.

"Know what?" I asked, wondering what she was talking about.

"Do you promise that you won't be mad? For not telling you before?" she asked, staring at her brightly painted blue fingernails.

I nodded. "Of course, Lacey. You're my best friend," I told her honestly.

"Well... I know that Don is a Greek god. I know what that baby is going to be," she said, gesturing towards my stomach. "A demigod."

I didn't even try to deny it. "How?" I asked. How could she possibly know?

"It's a long story," she said, cutting off at my hard stare. "Fine. I'm a demigod, too."

I gasped silently as she continued. "Carson and I met at Camp Half blood when we were in second grade, a camp that your child will have to go to someday. He was a child of Apollo, one of the twelve Olympians. I was a mere child of Eros, a minor good. I was the only one. Eros is Extremely devoted to Psyche, but even gods fall off of their high horse sometimes.

We went on field trips to Mount Olympus, and I saw Don, or may I say Poseidon, there. I never saw my father.

Back at camp, I was shunned to the Hermes cabin, cramped in with every other 'minor' demigod and the Hermes demigods. An agreement was made between Chiron, Aphrodite, and Eros. I was given a spot in the Aphrodite cabin, but I never fit there, either. So I left, and Carson came with me.

I can use phones because I have an extremely minor good as a parent, and I have no powers. Carson would kill any other stray monsters with those stupid eagles of his.

And then I met you. I knew who Don was from the moment I first saw him. He didn't recognize me, because I was among so many other campers the only other time I met him.

What I'm trying to say is that I know what struggles your boy will have growing up, being a child of such a powerful god. And I want you to know That I'll be here every step of the way to help you both. Forgive me for not telling you sooner?"

She hit me with a boatload of information at once, but somehow, I completely believed her. I saw the true guilt in her face, for not telling me this, and I couldn't be mad at her. "Of course. We're best friends. You've always been here for me, and I thank you for that. Would you like to help me with this seven layer dip? I haven't made it since I was a kid."

She smiled and nodded, thankful for something normal to do. "Of course."