Chapter Two ~ Ready?

Bella continued shaking as she stared at me, but she didn’t seem to recognize me. Did she remember me? It had been five years…but surely should would remember me? I needed to get us out of here.

“I’m going to undo the ropes alright?” I swallowed, staring at her as if I had seen a ghost, which, really I have. My hands fumbled with the knots, but got them apart easily enough, kneeling on the ground to take apart the spreader bar next.

I had personally not believed her to be dead, just from the feeling in my gut whenever  I thought about it, but when everyone else believed and told me she was dead...what was I supposed to think? Yet here she is, right in front of me. I wondered briefly if she would have been better off dead than to have gone through...this...but no. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. I have to get us out, now.

Bella looked at me with wide, scared eyes, but no recognition as I shed my jacket and long sleeved shirt to leave only my T-shirt. Carefully I bunched up the long sleeve and popped it over her head, moving her arms as gently as I could through the sleeves and pulling it down the rest of her body. The shirt was huge on her, which for me and her was good, going down to about mid thigh. She let me cover her up with the jacket too, frowning slightly and blinking away the tears. Her shaking lessened slightly, but never completely went away.

“I’m going to get you out of here alright? You’re safe now.” Of course, my actions when dealing with Aro and Felix would contradict my words, but it was the only thing that would get them to believe us. Very lightly I touched her fingertips, tracing my way to her wrist and lightly grasping it. My right hand went all the way around the tiny thing, making it easier to look as though I were being rough with her. My left hand snaked along her back to hold her waist and pull her along to the closed door. I hoped it wasn’t locked, but I didn’t know.

“I’m sorry about this,” I whispered before releasing her waist and dragging her out of the room which, to my relief was unlocked. Dad and Aro were at the desk talking in a voice I couldn’t hear, but as we got closer, Aro got a wicked gleam in his eye, making Bella flinch backward. My left arm snaked around her waist again, pulling her toward me.

“Well, it seems as though you have everything you need.” Aro concluded, “Is there a particular reason she has clothes?”

I gritted my teeth, “I can’t very well take her out in public when it’s almost morning time without something on and not attract attention now can I?” Aro pursed his lips, nodding thoughtfully before shaking hands with Carlisle and wishing us happy traveling. I rolled my eyes when we were walking towards the exit, cursing him in my head. It was about four in the morning in Seattle and I was hoping that Dad was able to find us some help for the car or at least directions to a motel. I cursed under my breath as we stepped out into the street again; it was still pouring rain.

“Aro pointed us out a motel we can stay in for the evening, but because we had to change our story I didn’t get directions for a mechanic shop. We will have to get those from the receptionist there.” Dad told me, steering us in the direction of the motel. I quickly got chilled from the sharp rain in only my T-shirt, but would happily take it if that meant keeping Bella as safe as I could make her at the moment.

“How far is it?” I asked him, taking big steps to keep up with his quick pace. Bella whimpered as I tugged her along, making me realize that she had no shoes, nor did she have the leg span to keep up without running, that and she had extensive injuries. I internally groaned, deemed myself a terrible person and lifted her in my arms, startling her.

“I’m sorry, I should have noticed earlier.” I told her, holding her tightly to my chest as she curled in on herself and into me. I glanced over at my dad to see him wide eyed, confused and dazed.