Chapter Five ~ Somewhere New

“Dinner’s ready if you two are hungry,” Carlisle announced, leaving after he said what he needed to say. I grasped Bella’s hand from where it lay clenched on the soft, white sofa cushions, wrapping both my hands around her small cold ones and searching her face.

“Let’s get some food in you ok?” I proposed, standing up but keeping her hand in one of mine. She looked up at me, biting her lip, but didn’t say anything or nod. I sighed, not wanting her to be frightened, but knowing she had to eat something. Slowly, I led her through the kitchen, warm from the stove being on and into the dining room, sitting her gently in the chair next to mine in the middle of the side of the long table. She started shaking when I let go of her hand and took a step away.

“I’m just going to help bring things out alright?” I told her, “I’ll be right back.” She eyed the big covered pot that sat on the table, smelling the scent of cooked noodles and spaghetti sauce. Slowly I crept into the kitchen, wary of leaving her side, but wanted to see my mom for a moment. When I walked into the kitchen she and Dad were standing in the middle of the room, having reappeared since I had taken Bella through here. Tears soaked her cheeks while Carlisle held her tightly to him.

I admired their love greatly, always looking up to them and seeing what I wanted my future to be like. I had always imagined Bella and I in their positions, at the time no fully understanding what it meant, but wanting it anyways. When she was claimed dead...something inside me just snapped and if it wasn’t Bella, I didn’t care for it to be anyone else.

“Can I help?” I asked, interrupting. They looked up at me and Esme gave me a watery smile.

“I just need to grab the plates sweetheart,” she told me, her voice rough. I nodded, moving to the cupboard and handled the four plates, digging in the drawer under it for utensils and going back out the the dining room. I sat down next to Bella once I had laid out the settings.

“Ready to eat?” Esme asked as she came into the room, Carlisle behind her. No one answered, trying to ignore the tension in the room. Mom sighed, not sitting down like the rest of us, but standing next to her chair, changing her weight from one foot to the other. Her gaze flickered from the floor to Bella and back again, almost as if she were afraid to look at her and scare her off. I knew Bella could feel the tension just by how tense she was, her eyes locked to the empty plate in front of her. Gently, hoping to calm her, I rested my hand on her knee making her jump and turn to look at me with wide eyes. Her hands were shaking again as she twisted them in her lap and her breathing was erratic.

“Bella?” Mom asked, coming closer towards us.

“Esme,” Carlisle said in warning. She ignored him, kneeling next to Bella’s chair and looking up at her to make the action less intimidating. Bella watched her carefully, but very wary, making me curious. Did females come in and hurt her too? Bella scooted backward in the chair she sat sideways in, inching closer towards me. My hands touched her waist, letting her know I was here. She seemed to ease a bit when I touched her, but she didn’t take her eyes away from Esme who didn’t move from her kneeling position.

“Bella, sweetheart,” she whispered, her eyes watering. I heard Bella swallow, but otherwise she remained still.

“Mom, Dad, would you mind if we ate in the basement?” I asked, needing to get her away from everyone. Esme took a deep breath, but nodded, backing away and sitting in her chair.

“Of course Edward, just make sure to bring up dishes afterward yes? And I need to clean Bella’s cuts more thoroughly now that I have more supplies here.”

“Ok,” I nodded, pushing my chair back slightly so I could stand. Bella looked up at me when I leaned away, her breath quickening. I looked at her for a moment before turning back to the table to dish food on our plates, sticking the forks in the heap of noodles so they wouldn’t fall out as I carried the plates. With one plate in each hand I turned back to look at Bella who watched me.