Chapter Seven ~ Ties

Bella refused to unclench her fist from my shirt, not that I minded, but it made walking more difficult. As we walked into the hospital she started to shake and could hardly take her eyes off of the floor. We walked behind Carlisle and Esme, partially hiding behind them and partially so that we could walk whatever pace we wanted.

Carlisle had explained how he had to get a different doctor to examine Bella because he was too involved and by law, wasn’t allowed. So by the time we got to the hospital, he had explained that he had talked to the police who contacted the FBI and would be waiting there for us to explain a plan. If Bella wasn’t ok with anything, we wouldn’t go through it and find a different way, but she seemed very determined as soon as she calmed down and Dad explained she didn’t have to actually be examined by Dr. Gerandy.

I told her that she didn’t have to continue with the examination when Carlisle found a different doctor, but she simply shook her head and told me she wanted it over with. I nodded and gave her any comfort she desired. Bella shook and fidgeted as we pulled up to the hospital, but with a strength I barely had, got out and walked in.

“Dr. Cullen,” a big burly man with buzzed brown hair and a fitted suit greeted my father as we walked up to the waiting room after checking in, “my name is Daniel Brett and this is my  partner Oliver Munn.” he gestured to the shorter, fair haired man beside him.

“Hello, thank you for meeting us here.” Dad greeted, shaking both of their hands.

“Some things have changed?” Brett asked, cocking his eyebrow and moving his eyes to Bella.

“Things have, Dr. Gerandy, a fellow colleague of mine, is believed to be working for a man named Aro who we have found  runs a company called Volturi in a rural part of Seattle.” Carlisle cleared his throat, looking back to Bella and I before continuing, “That’s where we found our Goddaughter, and she recognized Gerandy’s name.”

“Has she seen him yet?” Oliver asked. Bella shook her head as she breathed deeply.

"No," Carlisle answered, "we have an appointment with him now."

"I see, well of course we have to be sure it's the same Gerandy before we had hold him in custody." Brett explained.  Carlisle nodded.

"So what we will do is when Bella is called back by a nurse, Dr.  Cullen will ask to speak to Dr. Gerandy." Bella held my arm tighter,  clinging to me.  I was so lucky she trusted me enough to find comfort.

"Very well. And where will you two be?" Dad asked.

Munn smiled slightly and gestured to the seats along the wall and off to the side of the main waiting area.  It would give them the perfect hiding in plain sight, an easy enough place where they could pop up behind Gerandy once we confirmed it was the same man.

Dad nodded, taking a seat a few steps away.

"Do you still want to go through with this Bella? We can always do it another day." I had to be sure she was still holding strong. I wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to do this. Her dark eyes locked with mine, answering my question with a grave answer.

"I have to." I took a deep breath and nodded,  sitting down next to my father while my mother sat on the other side of Bella. Brett and Munn sat a couple seats apart and held magazines in their laps,  pretending to read them.

I held Bella's hand,  trying to comfort the both of us.

We didn't have to wait long for Bella to be called back by the nurse that came out to greet her. Bella took a shaky breath and began to stand,  not looking up from the ground, until Dad stood and asked the nurse if Dr.  Gerandy would mind coming out to talk with him. The nurse knew him of course, so it was an easy win. She nodded and blushed a bit before turning to go back and get the vial man. Carlisle turned to us and smiled a comforting grin,  reassuring us that everything was under control. I held both of Bella's hands tightly in mine, looking into her eyes, silently asking if she was ready.  She answered easily,  allowing me through her guard.