0.

Two men and a woman stood in front of a two story Victorian home in the middle of the urban community. Yellows brightly painted the outside. Blue colored the trim. Snow fell from the sky in soft flakes. A gentle breeze stirred the air. Both of the men wore black suits. One had large, circular glasses and held a cross. His black hair stuck up wildly in odds and ends. The other, his brown hair tied back in a small ponytail, gripped his bible tighter. The woman stuck close to the man with the cross. Her brown hair crinkled and frizzed in the weather. She kept her hands in the pockets of her large brown jacket, fighting the cold. Frost coated the windows of the darkened house before them.

"Is Father Albus coming?" the girl hissed.

"I'm worried. It's too quiet in there." The man with the bible retorted.

"I'm going in." the third said, pushing up his glasses. The other man grabbed his shoulder, stopping him.

"Crossheart, you can't go alone. Wait for the priest."

"Matthew, he's late. We can't wait. Someone could be in danger."

"Then we are going too." The woman said. Crossheart shook his head.

"No, you just watch out here for activity. Jericho will need parents. I'm only a week from being ordained, practically a priest myself."

Matthew sighed. He brought his hand to his side. "He's right, Trish."

"I know." Trish puffed. She glanced to the house.

Crossheart smirked. He waved as he pounded up the stairs and opened the door.

Inside the house was dark and cold. It was no different from being outside. Crossheart kept his guard up. A chill ran down his spine. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end. As he turned the corner, he noted the soft glow from the top of the stairs. Without thinking, he raced up. He scanned the hall. The light was coming from the end door. Using his whole body, he forced it open.

Crossheart froze. The room was a nursery. There was a crib, a rocking chair, a chest for toys, and a dresser. Laying on the floor were the charred bodies of a young man and woman. Azure fire ate away at the walls and the curtains. Ash turned pink carpeting white. Standing in the middle of this was a teenage boy holding a baby swaddled in a polkadot blanket. The child cooed. But the boy wasn't human. His skin was near death pale. A soft glow surrounded his body. It matched his windswept blue hair. His ears were pointed, and fangs protruded from his mouth. A black tail swished back and forth from behind him. Fire, the same as the one gnawing on the walls, flickered at the end of his tail.

He held the child gingerly. He turned. Glowing, iridescent eyes met Crossheart's gaze. Before the exorcist could speak, the demon set the child back in her crib. In a single motion, he vanished. The flames extinguished themselves. Crossheart crossed the room. He scooped the child into his arms. Her eyes pulsed the same unreal color the demon's did.

She was the child they were waiting for. Father Albus would be pleased that they had found her. Crossheart would have to hand her over immediately. She would be raised for her greater purpose.

The child giggled, reaching a small, pudgy hand out to him. He smiled. This baby had no place in the world of demons. Crossheart glanced around. Inside the crib was a pink, stuffed rabbit. He picked it up, tucking the toy under one arm. Carefully, he made his way out of the house.

As he shut the front door, he watched as color in the girl's eyes died down to a grey-blue. Matthew and Trish ran up to him. Worry coated their faces. Crossheart shook his head.

"The demon's already had their way with her parents. It left before I could exorcise it."

"And the child?" Matthew asked.

"Isn't what the church is looking for."

Trish sighed, "I'll call the orphanage."

"Wait." Crossheart said. Trish, halted. "I'll raise her."

(A/N: I know this is just the prologue, but I'd love to hear what you guys think! I'd like to give a shout out to JadeMuccuff who was my beta reader and deals with my terrible spelling skills. Most of all, I'd like to thank you, you beautiful Wattpadian, for taking the time to read this story. I hope you'll stick with it!
~Librarian's Cat)