5.

In the heat, iron workings of the gate were hot against her hand as she pushed it open. The warmth flooded over her like a tidal wave. Yesterday's cool breeze had vanished, leaving the air sticky and humid. Crickets chirped as the gate groaned. Closing her eyes, Savannah exhaled and listened as the latch clicked shut. Another ordinary day was about it begin. She was exhausted from yesterday. Her shoulders sagged.

A hug attacked Savannah from behind. Eyes fluttering open, she glanced back. Hanging off her shoulders was Ashly. The girl barely touched the ground. A grin covered the blonde's face as she jumped down. She danced around Savannah before coming to her side. Savannah stared at her. Despite being friends since middle-school, they rarely walked to school together. Their houses were in opposite directions, and Ashly hated being late. Meanwhile, Savannah arrived on the bell in a ritualistically late manner.

Ashly waved a hand in front of Savannah's face. "Earth to Vanna, you in there space caudate?"

A smile broke out across Savannah's face. Throwing her head back a little, she laughed. "Ashly, what are you doing here?"

"Getting your butt to school." she retorted, grabbing her friend's hand and leading the way. Savannah allowed herself to be pulled along. The streets were quieter than the day before. Most people were avoiding the heat, already in their air conditioned offices. A few stray dog-walkers passed them. The girls chatted as the strolled to school.

They were a block away when Ashly halted, stopping Savannah with her. The blond stared at Savannah, brows furrowing. Savannah mimicked the expression.

"Um, everything alright, Ashly?"

She crinkled her nose. "This might sound crazy, but do you believe in ghosts?"

Savannah inhaled. "Why?"

"This might sound crazy, but I think one's following you." Ashly shook her head with a chuckle. "Gosh, I must be going cra-cra in the membrane. It's not like you're being haunted or anything."

Savannah laughed weakly. There was only one presence that she could think of that would follow her. But what did he want?

As Ashley turned to keep walking, Savannah stayed put. "Hey, I forgot something at home, I've got to run back." Savannah said. Ashly swiveled around with a groan.

"Seriously? Vanna, if we go now, we'll be late."

"I know." She shrugged in apology. "You go on without me. I'll catch up later."

Sighing, Ashly nodded and waved goodbye. Savannah waved in return, watching as her friend left.

She raced around the corner. Ducking into the nearest alley, she ripped off her glasses. Her nose was only inches from Delocray's. With a shriek, she jumped back. Delocray smiled, a small laugh accompanying. He tilted his head, tail following the motion.

"I wondered if you'd take those things off. They must be what's suppressing your abilities."

Catching her breath, Savannah glared. "How long have you been following me?"

"Since you left the church grounds this morning." he replied with a shrug. "I didn't realize your friend was susceptible to the Second Plane."

"Neither did I." Savannah quipped. "You seem to bring the supernatural out of everyone."

"Is that so?" he retorted. He crossed his arms, leaning in a tad. A smirk pulled on the corner of his lips as his tail swished back and forth. "But you haven't even seen the half of it."

That caught Savannah's attention.

"I'm only seeing parts of the Second Plane?"

Delocray nodded. "What do you see right now?"

Savannah glanced around. Dry dirt made up the narrow path. Near the pile of broken bottles and trash there was a puddle. Dandelions grew in the corner. Brick walls encased them. It was shaded, with the exception of the area around Delocray. A blue glow lite the air around him.

"A normal alley." she answered.

"Now close your eyes."

Hesitant at first, Savannah did as she was asked. Delocray placed his forefingers against her temples. His hands were cool, breathing steady. Everything seemed to amplify. The sound of shop bells, car engines, and a nearby dog barking. Smells of exhaust fumes, coffees, and the heat of the alley. Her breathing intensified. Her heart raced.

"Focus on me, Savannah." Delocray whispered, voice just audible under all the noise. Still, Savannah focused on his steady breaths. She did her best to match his rhythm. Her body calmed itself. The overpowering senses died down.

"Open your eyes."

Savannah opened her eyes and gasped. The whole world was coated in an impossible blue. The alley, previously deserted and dismal, was pulsing with life. Lines of clothing hung to dry between the windows. A rotund woman sung from the pit of her stomach as she placed a pie on the sill. The sweet aroma drifted downward. Apple? No, it wasn't a scent Savannah knew. Children ran about the alley; two boys a girl. All three of them held wooden swords. They darted passed, Savannah gasped. Each of them had yellow fox tails . Mouth wide open from shock, she turned to Delocray.

"What is this place?"

"This," Delocray said, gesturing to the world around them. "is the true Second Plane. We are completely separate from your world."

Filled with awe, Savannah walked to the street. Her eyes went wide. Vendors littered the street in tents and booths. Foot traffic traveled between, packing the street. Creatures milled about, unaware of how odd they seemed to the foreigner. Some had horns. Others had tails or animal ears. One had green skin and four arms. Another had butterfly wings. A sprite, only as tall as Savannah's forearm, floated alongside a nine-foot giant. Eyeballs with bat wings flew in colonies. The quiet side street was now a bustling market.

Delocray took her hand, ripping her attention away from the scene before them. Her eyes met his. He smiled. "Ready?"

"What are we waiting for?" Savannah smirked. They merged with the crowd.

Delocray took Savannah around to the different stalls, pointing out strange artifacts. He showed her silver coins, iron weapons, talismans, and magic artifacts. Each came with its own history and culture. He taught her about Japanese shrines acting as gateways between worlds. About Mount Olympus' thin vale and how it changed civilization. About the Ancient Egyptians, using herbal remedies explained by the Second Plane.

Delocray dragged Savannah to the next stand. Steaming on small plates were a sort of thin yellow bread coated in white powder. Saliva built up in Savannah's mouth. It reminded her of the lemon bars at the church suppers. The smell, like hot honey, was intoxicating. Delocray pulled two gold coins from the pockets of his black cargo pants.

"Ma'am, two please!" he shouted. From behind the counter appeared an elderly woman. Long, stringy black hair hung in front of her face. Her arms were skeleton thin and her skin had a greenish tint. She held out her palm, claws pointing in the air. Delocray dropped the coins into her hand and scooped up the two plates. He handed one to Savannah. Her face lit up as she took it.

The woman stared at the coins. Savannah and Delocray turned to leave.

"Wait!" the woman called out. Savannah kept going, lost in her creamy bread. Delocray stopped for a moment.

"Keep the change!" he shouted back. Turning, he left to catch up with his companion before she could get lost.

(A/N: And there you go! About at the halfway mark right now XD. Savannah is now learning how to control her abilities and about Delocray's world. But...what is he still hiding from her? What troubles await? What are your opinions? Love to hear from you.

XOX Librarian's-Cat)