Chapter 24: ***Have a Food Fight***

This chapter is dedicated to the lovely Nissen. Not only does she always leave wonderful comments, almost every time scratching the maximum of 2,000 characters, but she also got so many of her friends to read my story. Basically half Denmark knows about this story now. Thank you so much for being such an uber-dedicated supporter! But, the most amazing thing: She and her class are most likely going to have a whipped cream fight!! Awesome? I think so!

Chapter 24

“So, basically it’s a game of flag football?” TJ asked me.

“Well, yeah. Except for the football part,” I replied. “Okay, one team gets the flag in the beginning. We’ll toss a coin for that. The ultimate goal is to carry the flag behind the goal line of the other team. This earns you one point and ends a round. We’re going to have three rounds,” I explained and checked to see if all the people surrounding me understood the rules so far.

It was going to be eleven football players against the four of us from the environmental club – Lauren, Amy, Matt and me. Then we had Aaron, Brian, Dinah, Emma and Cameron, the new girl. Cameron was hanging out with Dinah quite a bit lately since she is also very much into the arts. Also, I think that she has developed a tiny crush on Brian. He doesn’t seem to have noticed it yet, but she blushes a lot when he’s around. It’s actually kind of cute. Still, I’m glad that I’m not the blushing type.

Lucas, Dinah’s ex-boyfriend, was on our team as well. The two of them were still on pretty friendly terms. Very fortunate for us because Lucas was on the track team and he had convinced his team member and track star of our school Rick to be a part of this little match. We could definitely use some runners.

“The other team tries to get the flag and if they do, it’s their turn to get it behind the goal line. But you’re not allowed to be violent while attacking the other team members,” I carried on. “No tackling, no body checks, no twisting arms, kicking, pushing, scratching, slapping. None of that.”

Someone snorted. Mike, I think.

“You’re not allowed to hold or touch someone for longer than two seconds. No inappropriate touching. All other distractions and tactics are allowed. Any questions so far?”

“Yeah, what happens if you violate one of the rules?” Josh asked amused.

“Then all members of the opposite team are immediately allowed to move into the end zone without anyone attacking them,” I answered.

“And what do we need this for?” Nick wanted to know, staring at the can of whipped cream he was holding in his hands.

I grinned. “Distraction. Also, if the person who gets the flag behind the goal line is whipped cream free, his or her team automatically wins.”

The whipped cream was the best part about it. First of all, it was going to help us win. We did have some tricks up our sleeve. But even better, it was going to help us with something else entirely: having a food fight without getting in trouble for it. Granted, it wasn’t a typical food fight, but both Em and I agreed that whipped cream definitely fell into the food category. I’ve been thinking about a way of having a food fight for weeks. This was perfect, if I dare say so.  

"You all know Steven," I continued. The editor-in-chief of our school's newspaper grinned and waved a little. He seemed to enjoy the setup a lot. "He agreed to be the referee for our match today."

"You know that you can count on me to be fair," Steven said. Some players nodded in agreement. Steven has covered the games of the Jefferson High Lions for the last two years and counting. He is known for his brutally honest and accurate reviews. In fact, reading his articles is mandatory for the whole team. And that's saying a lot! His words and judgment were both respected and feared.

"Any more questions?" I looked around.

"Yeah, where are your cans?" Dan wanted to know, shaking the whipped cream he was holding.

“Don’t worry, we’re going to get them now,” Amy told him.

“Other questions?” My gaze scanned the crowd. Apparently not. “No? Okay. Then let’s toss the coin.”