Chapter 33: The Date

Thank you, inevitxble, for creating a cover! (see picture)

Chapter 33

The weather was unusually warm for a December day, and the sun was shining from a cloudless sky.

Uh, I sound like a weather forecaster.

Anyway, as I was saying: the weather was unusually warm for a December day. That fact alone was one of the reasons why I had decided to walk to the park where I would meet my date. My immune system had finally defeated my stupid bronchitis. My energy levels were on an all-time high, and after having had to spend so much time inside, I had decided that it would be the perfect opportunity to enjoy my Saturday afternoon outside.

A walk in the park.

Also, I couldn't get one of my parents' cars and didn't want my date to pick me up at home. My mom would have pestered the guy with a zillion questions. Yep, she was still at home; she needed her car later in the afternoon. And being dropped off by one of my parents – let's just say that wasn't a viable option for an eighteen-year-old girl like me.

Tightly wrapped in my warm clothes and my cute new hat, scarf and gloves – a matching set so soft at least a dozen teddy bears must have died for it –, I had already been on my way for quite some time when a look at my watch told me that I had underestimated the distance from my house to the park. I was running late.

Pulling off my right glove and stuffing it into my down jacket pocket, I quickly send a text to the football player who was probably already there waiting for me.

         sorry, I'm l8. will b there in 10. cu, sarah (:

Quickening my steps, I enjoyed the fresh air, inhaling deeply. Ah. It was so good to be able to do that without having to cough. Was there such a thing as an Appreciate Your Lungs Day? If not, there definitely should be one. I mean, National Pets in Film Day existed. Emma told me. That girl just knows every single crazy movie fact under the sun.

Who comes up with such days? Could anyone just say: 'Hey, let's celebrate Link Red Paper Clips Together to a Long Chain and Wear Them as a Necklace Day'? If so, I declare April Fourth to be the International Link Red Paper Clips Together to a Long Chain and Wear Them as a Necklace Day! Or would I have to get the okay from someone first? Question is: who decides such things? The International Paper Clip Board? Guess I would have to shorten the name for the buttons, though.

ILRPCTTALCAWTAAND.

Yep. If that celebratory day doesn't sweep the entire world population off its feet, nothing will.

A muffled peep came from my pocket. Pulling out my phone again, I read the reply I had received to my earlier text.

        I thought u said ur not gay?!

Huh? How on earth was that an appropriate answer?

Frowning, I checked my sent messages folder and re-read my text. Nope, nothing which could even in the slightest hint at me being homosexual. Not that I thought there was anything wrong with being attracted to the same sex. It just wasn't for me.

Maybe because I used textese and spelled late with the digit eight? Nope, that couldn't be it. This couldn't wait; I needed an answer right away. I pressed the call button. After a few rings, the person on the other end finally picked up.

A deep "'Lo?" was immediately followed by Dan shouting "Rambo! Don't lick the trash can!".

Startled, I pulled the phone away from my ear.

"Hello? Sarah?" I heard him ask from afar.

With a sigh, I put it back. "Yeah, Dan, it's me. Little tip: don't shout when you're on the phone."

"'Kay. Sorry. Are you lost or something?"

As if anyone could get lost on his way to our town park in Rome, New Jersey. It was basically its main attraction; dozens of dozens of signs telling you where to go. And if you have lived here your whole life like I had, there was a better chance of meeting aliens dancing the Macarena than getting lost on your way to the park.

"No, I'm not lost. I just wanted to know what exactly in my text made you think I'm gay. You know, the text I just sent you about running late."

"Easy. You used the gay smiley."