prologue

planet fitness | los angeles

nate maloley

"bro, look over your right shoulder." my best friend, sammy wilkinson said quiet enough for me to hear as i finished up my workout.

i raised an eyebrow but none the less looked over my right shoulder, my eyes landing on a complete baddie that was getting off the treadmill.

i licked my lips and let out a low whistle, looking back at him and laughing a little.

"should i go for it?" i asked, pursing my lips, making sammy nod.

"she's out of your league but take a shot." he said, making me roll my eyes as i walked over to the girl.

i walked up behind her and my eyes quickly fell to her ass, making them widen before i dragged my eyes away and cleared my throat.

she turned around, and i was surprised to find her bright bluish eyes, making me lose words for a second or two.

"do you need something?" she asked sweetly, which confused me even more because most girls as hot as her were always rude and standoffish.

"uhm, i honestly just saw you and just wanted to say you're gorgeous." i blabbed out, and mentally face palmed, but the blush on her face made me think i did somethings right.

"oh, thank you." she said, kind of shyly.

"no problem babygirl." i replied, smirking a little.

"i'm nate maloley." i greeted, holding my hand out.

she took it and smiled a little,"noelle rivera." she said, looking over her shoulder at the gym's daycare doors.

"can i have your number? maybe we can hangout when both of us are properly clothed?" i teased, noting to my shirtless figure and her sports bra.

she let out a small laugh and nodded, taking the iphone from my extended hand and adding her contact.

the daycare doors opened as she handed the phone back to me, and a small little girl ran over to noelle.

"mommy, can we go home?" she asked in a cute voice, not properly pronouncing the words right

wait, mommy?

noelle looked flustered for a split second but quickly picked the girl up and nodded,"of course princess." she agreed, looking at me.

"who's this cutie?" i asked, kind of embarrassed that i had hit on a mom.

"this is my daughter, kelsie." she introduced, and the little girl laid on her shoulder and waved.

"it was nice to meet you both, i'll text you." i said, smiling before quickly walking back to sammy.

"how'd it go?" he asked excitedly

"she has a fucking kid, let's go." i said quickly, and maybe a little to loudly because when i looked through the glass exit door, i saw a look of hurt and disappointment flash on her features before going out the other way.